2009 4rt Prices

benbeta23

it seems strange that they would increase the price so much during the current "credit crisis" and possibilities of recession. and considering that there are now competetors on the market, the lighter and more powerful sherco 320, and the proven beta 4 stroke engine, now avalible in a 300cc model. And a gasgas 4t soon to be released, they no longer dominate the 4t market. if any i would say that beta will have the most popular 4t bike over the next few years.(provided people could get used to the new looks)

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are they mad?? 6-7 grand for a bike your gonna ride through streams, throw down banks and ride over rocks!!!!!!!

Thats just too much!!!

My sentiments exactly. Price rises probably due to inevitable inflation spike (Stagflation), economies are gradually going into reverse & necessary price hikes due to inflation due to high oil and metal prices all add up to a waste of money at a time that I at least can ill afford to waste (would like to keep my house really). Add to that the fact that these bikes are made in relative small numbers so need to pay for themselves & you have all the ingredients for a product that costs more than it's worth, especially when you consider that its going to be thrown all over the place and end up upside down, gradually but quickly look tatty & need maintainance which is also expensive when it arives in its most dredded form. I know it doesn't quite compare but you can buy a decent car (which is a neccessity to get to work) for this price...lets face it this is a toy...I would like to say it's worth it, but it's not to me...someone else might say differently for themselves & if you do good for you I aint criticising you.

What did you say they cost ...I was gonna say ...an English, Irishman & a Scotsman walk into a pup...etc..but it can't compete with, Did you hear about the Montesa Cota 4RT...

Especially expensive considering they don't even

do any mods except change the colour, most people

will buy second hand or keep the one's they already

have, and you will not loose loads of money on it as you

do on new bikes!

Wonder what price they are in Spain?

Maybe at that price it will force people onto the ''Grey Market'' as it did before if they really want one...........

Before people say oh you can't do this with a grey import and you can't do that I beleive people have never had a problem.....

With the pound being so poor against the euro I don't think the grey import would be much difference in price.

I seem to recall the RTL250's going the same way price wise and then they stopped making them??

Maybe the begining of the end of Honda in trials for a few years!!

kinda what I was thinking too, it's $9,778 & $10,919 US, they arn't even sending them to the US anymore, looks like the beginning of the end to me.

It is'nt jus Honda/Montesa Hiking prices, its the global economy etc. (although I still do think that the Montesa was always a dear bike), You should expect quality and a reasonable price, I don't mind paying for the quality in real terms but I hate being ripped off, I know that quality in a small bike like that isn't hard to build in for a big multi national. But as far as the real reason for this price goes, somethings gotta give and reajust somewhere; lets face it credit aint easy to get anymore and the good days of endless borrowing in an artificial bubble are gone (and good riddence), its a return to older values such as if you can't afford something don't buy it, especially if it's not a neccesity, what I mean is, in real terms of what most people can afford to spend the Montesa aint gonna move in droves through the dealerships now is it...? the market as it was could'nt go on for ever & it was stretched to the max as far as borrowing was concerned...what has all this boring stuff got to do with trials you might ask....well erm it will all become apparent, just watch.

In a few years time if the prices were not reduced then there will be few lucky owners who can say i own an 09 montesa 4rt - exclusive appeal perhaps like the TLR's.

On a slightly different note I was looking at a new husaberg 450cc this week and the price for the 09 bike is

Edited by spud

but like others i agree this could be the end of honda in trials.

I would'nt agree with that spud,The honda's are probaly advanced enough for them to go without change for a couple of years.So they would'nt realy need to spend much money on development,unlike the other manufacturer's.

Don't think we can judge what's going to happen to honda by whats happening to the tiny american Trials market.

Maybe Honda/Montesa have decided to properly price their 4rt rather than try to be competative with the offerings of other manufacturers. There will be buyers for a premium bike as there is a market for the "average" bike; Mercedes exists along with Audi and Ford. Luckily for us, the average bike is better than 95% of us riders and we don't need to spend the money for the Mercedes to get top performance. For a savings of over $4000.00 Canadian I can get a bike that is lighter, more powerful, easy to maintain and quieter: as John Shirt Jr. points out, it's the same decision being made by most competative enduro riders as well.

Spencer

It appears a lot of the trials community are tradesman of some kind and they are being hit real hard, so it be fair to say the best selling bike in 2009 will be the cheapest?

Edited by spud

It appears a lot of the trials community are tradesman of some kind and they are being hit real hard, so it be fair to say the best selling bike in 2009 will be the cheapest?

I think bike sales in 09 will be worse than 08.

I think the new price of the 4rt will reduce their share of this smaller market. If it were head and shoulders above the other makes then they would stand a chance, it isn't so they won't.

What honda/montesa do depends more on what Honda want/decide in japan. My guess is there is at least a couple or 3 years left in the 4rt yet.

What happens then who knows maybe they will pull the plug as with the TLR and RTL.