Classic Trial France

frenchie

Depending on your age, but for an average classic pilot of around 45 years old, the licence is 300 euros per year. Then for a single day trial 50 euros, for a good 2 days 120 euros, a starting permit (repatriation insurrance to race abroad) 68 euros....... We pay more than the cost of a good bike every year in fees.

Add all the bourocracy we in the motoclubs need to sort in such places as Town Halls, Ministry of Africulture, General Direction of Enviroment, Federation, Police....... (each one with their own taxes)

Then add all the work, marking of the trial, time looking for observers (pay them) etc. etc. etc.

And the result is that classic trials in Spain are alive because we pilots and must be idiots, although we still enjoy with it.

It is one of the reasons we like so much going out to France to race, not so far away, very good classic trials, good food, good wine, good people and cheap.

Yes, so see how lucky you are in England, in most centres a trial, if not every weekend, for what ever class you want to ride in, no more than a hours drive, cheap licence, reasonable entry. The grass is not always greener........the other thing is the trials season in France has just come to and end...... just as its started to rain... apparently they ride trials in the summer months here so the observers don t get cold standing around .... they spoil them don t they !!!!!!!!!

Bon Soir

• 5 weeks later...

Good Idea Frenchie, I have been denied acess to the French net, because, it is French!

I have just caught up with your thread, sounds great, if Mr Greeves is up for it maybe we can get Big John involved and Woody. It would be perfect for my triumphant return! Perhaps i could be assistant C of C?

Mickey,

Of course you can be asst clerk of the course, although it will mean you will have to get here two or three days in advance, to check out the Bordeaux Grand Cru, the Foie gras , Confit du canard, truffle sauce , sarladaise spuds etc just to see if it is good enough to offer the riders when they arrive..... If you can manage that..........

Things are moving slowly forward, although you can t believe how difficult if is to get organised. Once into the New year hopefully I will be better informed and possibly a date.

In the mean time to everyone reading this a Happy Christmas to you all and a feet up New year.

Frenchie

• 3 weeks later...

there was some discussion about an overseas trip for the Herefordshire / Tredegar contigent and even though the GBP/EUR rate is a killer, could still be interested. Let us know on dates etc and the likely format as always fancied a trial in France.

Went to the Sarlat on holiday a few years ago, really nice spot, so please keep us informed of developments :-)

• 4 weeks later...
Along with another T.C member I have been asked by the powers that be in the trials world in France to organise a trial here in my region, The South west of France. Firstly, putting on a trial in France is a costly affair apart with the permits and insurances, depending on the type of trial, closed multi lap, or longer one or two lap trials you need one or more ambulances and a doctor on standy all day ready to attend any one injured. This can add up to six hundred euros a day so you have to make sure that you will cover these basic costs, ie you have to try and encourage a decent enty. I have decided to pose the question on here, would this trial be of any interest to the Pre 65 and twinshock members here and perhaps friends as well. Although in its infancy we invisage a two day trial, each day two laps of twenty sections of rocks roots, big climbs, in fact the land in question is a trials riders paradise. There will be a campsite with swimming pool and chalets on this site and plenty of things for bored other halfs and kids to do whilst the trial is taking place. I will be the clerk of the course and have had extensive experience laying out sections in the UK, from National Pre 65 twinshock trials, to closed to club novice and intermediate and sidecars.

Whilst acknowlegding the milage from the Uk ( eight Hours from Calais ) and the cost involved this particular area is an absolute gem receiving

two million holiday visitors per year, so my thinking is a short holiday can be included to keep other faimily members happy.................

The name of the town is Sarlat la Caneda, Perigord Noir, Dordogne if your interested or even curious do a search on the area and you will see what I mean.

I often bump into Uk riders here in France and I know that certain riders make the effort to ride one or two of the well know trials across the channel hence my post.

We are discussing the all the possiblilites this weekend so any comments would be apprciated.

Thanks

Frenchie..

Frenchie

Very interested would suggest you arrange it round UK bank holidays etc so the wife and kids can get a holiday aswell please keep me informed of the dates if you go ahead with it.