Classic Trial France

frenchie

Along with another T.C member I have been asked by the powers that be in the trials world in France to organise a trial here in my region, The South west of France. Firstly, putting on a trial in France is a costly affair apart with the permits and insurances, depending on the type of trial, closed multi lap, or longer one or two lap trials you need one or more ambulances and a doctor on standy all day ready to attend any one injured. This can add up to six hundred euros a day so you have to make sure that you will cover these basic costs, ie you have to try and encourage a decent enty. I have decided to pose the question on here, would this trial be of any interest to the Pre 65 and twinshock members here and perhaps friends as well. Although in its infancy we invisage a two day trial, each day two laps of twenty sections of rocks roots, big climbs, in fact the land in question is a trials riders paradise. There will be a campsite with swimming pool and chalets on this site and plenty of things for bored other halfs and kids to do whilst the trial is taking place. I will be the clerk of the course and have had extensive experience laying out sections in the UK, from National Pre 65 twinshock trials, to closed to club novice and intermediate and sidecars.

Whilst acknowlegding the milage from the Uk ( eight Hours from Calais ) and the cost involved this particular area is an absolute gem receiving

two million holiday visitors per year, so my thinking is a short holiday can be included to keep other faimily members happy.................

The name of the town is Sarlat la Caneda, Perigord Noir, Dordogne if your interested or even curious do a search on the area and you will see what I mean.

I often bump into Uk riders here in France and I know that certain riders make the effort to ride one or two of the well know trials across the channel hence my post.

We are discussing the all the possiblilites this weekend so any comments would be apprciated.

Thanks

Frenchie..

Fantastic area, sure it would make great trials country, have a friend in Grolejac who I'm sure would be interested. I think date will be a factor in maximising attendance, clashes with similar events and holiday periods etc. Also, why limit your potential entry to pre65 and twinshocks, a significant portion of club, centre (and even National) UK trialing consists of o40 and o50 etc riders on modern bikes, who enjoy good 'classic' sections and a good scenic ride round. You could still set the same trial, and attract 'like minded people' but stand a better chance of getting the numbers you need. Just a thought.

Hi,

There should n t be any road work apart from maybe the odd road crossing. Dates havn t been decided although we looking at both the French classic and English classic calanders. We hope to stage it when its most agreeable here ie. not cold and not toooooooo hot, so either late spring or late summer. A valid demand for over 40 and 50's, at this stage I can t give an answer although I have to admit we had nt thougth of that one. We do not want a multitude of routes and we had basically decided on a maximum of three, would that work with modern bikes albeit with older riders. I will have to give it some thought and ponder over a vin rouge.......

5again... it would be a stones throw from you friends house in Grolejac, is that another couple of observers..........

Thanks for the input

Bonsoir

frenchie

The family is booked for late july two weeks holiday in the dordogne so if you could fit it in around that, it would be good.

A few contributors on here Jordi moto merlin and even enrico areall over 40/50 and ride the Traditional series here in the uk on modern bikes and there are many more I'm sure who would jump at the chance.

8 hours driving each way and my thoughts are it needs to be 3 days if you can have 3 routes. Reeth 3 day started as two though.

Is roadwork a difficult thing as sardent manage ok?

Above all the sections need to be interesting and not too many ride throughs.

Edited by Nigel Dabster

Hi Frenchie: As a part of Sotobike Motoclub I know the hard work that means to arrange for a trial, specially if you try to make a good quality event.

You could have a lot of Spaniards there if:

1) You made it a 2 day trial.

2) The date do not coincide with the Spanish Classic Champ., Catalu

Thanks for the comments, the wheels are now in motion and when we have further details I will post them.

I think though, 120 euros for a two day trial might make a few cough, certainly the Brits with the exchange rate at the moment.

Trials in general including bikes are generally too cheap in the uk so some would think 120 euros a bit expensive. Trying to think what four days in Sardent costs, look it up?

Trials in general including bikes are generally too cheap in the uk so some would think 120 euros a bit expensive. Trying to think what four days in Sardent costs, look it up?

I agree it is expensive, but unfortunately it is impossible to cover all the costs here with less. That is why we look for sponsors to have extras as drinks, tshirts, paella or similar.

At the moment Federation fees, insurrance, ambulance, doctor (even 2 depending in the length), Ministry of Agriculture taxes, etc. etc. etc. makes trials expensive, and really our Federation does not help, specially with classic trials as here the federation belive it is not a proper sport. We have a hughe argue in Spain about this actually, and maybe for 2009 no classic trials in Madrid because of this.