The Ebay Project

malcra

You've bid on that twinshock, sometime on Sunday evening, with assistance from a nice glass of wine and a loosened finger on the mouse button. Anyway, went round to see Gavin (read more here) and his latest acquisition, what he thinks is a 1971 Model 80 Bultaco. The recently finished Montesa 247 looks concours, but this might be more of a challenge.

All other horror stories or comments on the Bultaco welcome :-)

Seems really odd that what appears to be an early M80 frame would have the recessed swingarm mount. If it was a late M80 I could imagine it might be possible. But not an early one.

Could it be that it's a M91 frame (perhaps the original one) but restamped? Or look to see if the rear part of a M91/92 frame was mated to the front part of the M80 frame.

I would love a close up photo of the knurling on the front fork tubes.

I hope the drunken ebaying was at least cheap.

I once bought a Kawasaki Z 1000 ST after a little too much Jacobs Creek. Whoops, late night alcohol fuelled bidding is banned now. B):thumbup:

PS That helmet Gavin is wearing looks like one of Mike Hailwoods old ones.

Edited by bo drinker

I've got a little story about a Bultaco M49 I bought from a distance having only seen photos.

The bike was advertised as a "1976 Bultaco" and it was in the classified section of a magazine with no photos but even if there had been photos I doubt I would have recognised it as a M49. I phoned with the thought that it could possibly be a Sherpa T of some sort and when the photos turned up showing engine number M49-00100 I had to have a very hard look to recognise it. Someone had "converted" it to a dual seat trail bike. A 7kg (approx 16 lb) home-made steel-based double seat had been fitted, including bending the rear frame loop down flat to get the seat to fit better. Front and rear footpeg sets were supported by 32mm x 6mm flat steel strips running along the bike and attached to the original bolt-on footpeg locations. The shockies were gas konis with springs suitable for MX with a heavy rider and the leaking fibreglass tank had been coated with about 5mm of green spray putty and covered with a blue paint scheme reminiscent of a late 1970s Pursang. The frame and swingarm were horribly twisted and yes someone had respoked the rear wheel with the rim way off where it should be. Things that surprised me were that the front wheel still had an early 1970s Firestone Vee pattern trials tyre and the original aluminium mudguard and stays were there and relatively undamaged, with original riveted brake shoes, wheel bearings and spokes. Unusual spares that turned up with it included a cylinder head (not sure why they needed a spare head) and go-kart sprockets!

Lots of hours went into the fibreglass and the frame. Its not meant to be a show bike, just to be recognisable as a M49 and able to be confidently ridden in competition.

post-325-1231627910.jpg

post-325-1231628129.jpg

Hi Malc - just had a look at Gav's new toy but off to a trial now so only a quick glance. First thought is are you sure the frame number isn't stamped M85 rather than M80, or been altered from 85 to 80. There are a couple of things that are wrong for an 80 but right for an 85. I'll have another look later.

M85 is an early 72/74 Alpina but exactly the same frame dimensionally as the Sherpa so not a problem if it is.

I've added a couple of pictures to the article on my website about Gavin's Model 80...or is it

- for first up, i got frame and engine number the wrong way round, M80... for the engine, B91...for the frame

- added a couple of extra photos of the front forks and yokes and one of the swingarm configuration

Its a recessed swingarm, and not like those on the M80 photo in CDB

thanks for the comments etc so far

The swapped serial number now make sense.

I don' know how prevalent Bultaco motors are, but it might be worth it to find a complete one and slap it in the frame, as the numbers don't match anyways.

The tank/seat are available new. Since the frame is already painted you're 75% there...

I've added a couple of pictures to the article on my website about Gavin's Model 80...or is it

- for first up, i got frame and engine number the wrong way round, M80... for the engine, B91...for the frame

- added a couple of extra photos of the front forks and yokes and one of the swingarm configuration

Its a recessed swingarm, and not like those on the M80 photo in CDB

thanks for the comments etc so far

That does make sense!

M was always used for prefixing 'M'otors that indeed explains the recessed swing arm mount! Model 91 I have one of those matching motor and frame, sorry motor not for sale!

Big John

Hi Malcra

Ask Gavin if he wants a frame for his M80 engine. I'm fairly sure I have one with swing arm at the back of my lock up which is surplus to requirements and for sale/swap. I also have a selection of the correct bottom yokes for an M80 (should be flat and made of cast steel).

Tim