Gg 2005 300 Problems Starting

ianj

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm with D.Sileo on this one. I always fit a larger starter jet to mine and often one size large pilot...can get cool up here in "the Great White North" :D Makes for much easier starting. A new plug can never hurt either, but I'm sure it's a lean starting issue he's having.

Hi all,

Cheers all......great info!

One other thing, he says when he hits a step or a steep bank the bike will kind of die for a second before it recovers.

Again, I haven't seen this in action, but he says all his other bikes never did this.

Ideas?

Ian.

Starter jet sizes aren't as critical as the others, so you can drill it a little larger rather than buying a new one.

For starting, open the enrichener and use NO THROTTLE. If you reflexively turn up the wick, put your right hand on the crossbar, or better yet....get over it. :D

The bike cutting out on hills or steps, I think, would point to float height.

Sounds dangerous.

Update:-

Bike seemed to run perfect around driveway, and although it's a bugger to start (we did report to dealer) we hit the hill today..........What a disaster!

Rode the bike from van up to riding area (5 minutes through forest area), and two minutes after riding a section on flat level ground the bike just plain stopped. It just cut out.

Kick, after kick, after kick, it would not start. It might fire for a second or two but would not "run".

Took plug out and it seemed dry. Checked for spark and it seems strong enough, although must say that light kicks don't always result in a spark.

Tried again and same thing. Took plug out again and again it seemed dry.....fueling problems maybe? Checked all the usual for blockages and also tried tapping the float bowl incase it was stuck. No joy.

Tried another carb on the bike right there and then on the hill......it would start and actually rev up once for about 5 seconds then just die as if the ignition had completely packed in or carb suddenly went completely dry. Plug was wet.

Note: on removal of old carb it was noticed that it was full of fuel.....so petrol is getting to the bowl.

Tried another plug, and with the original carb......no difference, same problems.

What a load of B*****ks......this is a brand spanking new 2005 GasGas. It's done less than 15 minutes total running time. The owner is getting very p****d off, especially after having to push it all the way back to the van.......he's gonna call the dealer tomorrow. My thinking the stator/cdi is knackered.

Note: Just as a reminder, the bike has always been very hard to start from since it was first delivered. Will only start with a really hard kick and after kicking it between 10 and 20 times. Tried allsorts after letting it dry out like ckoke, no choke, throttle, no throttle..........there is something wrong with this bike.

Ian.

Edited by IanJ

Could very well be a CDI Ian. I had one that would start, but not rev past 1/4 throttle. Chased the same carb problems, only to find out it was the ignition.

I'd tell you to check the petcock. fuel like and tank, but if the float bowl was full. it's not likely fuel delivery.

I'd have the dealer swap CDIs from another unit on the floor and see what happens. He may not want to take a new CDI from parts out of the bag and break the seal (electronic bits). Far easier to swap from a known runner. It's only a 5 min job.

They do normally start very well, once you get the jetting and starting procedure down. Mines a first kick 90% of the time, 2 kicks if being stubborn.

Hi,

I contacted Jon Stoodly (GG USA website)....and his first guess based on my symptoms is an electrical fault, loose wire or broken insulation under the tank somewhere, or the kill switch. He reckons faults in the electrical system are extremely rare.

I did fiddle with the kill switch so I don't think it's that.

I did briefly look at the wires/connections under the tank but didn't see anything.

I think the dealer will be getting involved now......I'll have to check with my mate tonight, he was gonna call them.

PS. Didn't want to swap carbs on the hill......but we wanted to try anything/everything rather than push the bike a couple mile through dense forest.....which we ended up doing!

Ian.

UPDATE:

The dealer is in the shed with the bike right now.....update to follow.

Edited by IanJ

Flabbergasted:-

Dealer kicks bike over......bike starts straight away. Runs around garden no problem. Ran it for 10 minutes, never missed a beat. Stopped it, started it...you name it....never missed a beat.

Gonna try it every night this week, failing that we hit the hill again this weekend.......if it stops again miles from nowhere we're gonna bury it there and then and take up snooker or something.

Ian.

Ian

My cousins bike did exactly the same thing as you are mentioning, turned out to be water in the kill switch.

It had us baffled for a while because it was sparking when you kicked it over but it wouldn't run, eventually we disconnected the kill switch and wrapped the terminal up with insulation tape, it ran perfect.

There maybe is something more at fault but it is worth trying.

Cheers

Chris

I have a 2004 280 Pro. Shortly after buying it, it started giving me problems starting when hot. Turned out to be the petcock gasket. The little holes that allow the gas to pass thru were misaligned and slowly starved the bike for fuel. Drain the tank and pop out the retainer clip to see if the bugger is properly aligned. I guess this is a common problem. Never given me another bit of trouble after I sorted it out. :o