Grippiest Bike?

5again

Heath, if you do the footpeg mod I told you about, you will notice a huge difference, especially if you are a taller rider!

Hey Fracey! What about your fellow Canuck over here?? ...a 6'1" one at that :o Don't be holding out on me now :lol:

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GRIP

Rider Skill comes First - A good ridder will find Grip

Tyre condition comes second - a new tyre is 'more grippy' than a worn out one

Bike Choice comes 3rd

A good rider will find grip on a bald tyre on a bike which others claim does not grip

wit

• 3 years later...

well.

1. 1 rider- knowing where to put your weight is the main thing then throttle control.
  2. 2 tyres- i go for the michelin radials. plenty of grip on anything- wet rocks, wet grass, river beds and mud
  3. 3 bike- hmmm tough one. My 2001 Beta went every where you wanted it to. But in my opinion nothing can beat a sherco. well balanced and light enough for you to control if you get into $%&t with it.
  4. 4 grip- You need a good conbination of those three to make number four-grip

Before I got the Beta I had a Pinky and that was a real gripper for some reason (more so than red framed Yams I had shots on). I don't know about 4 trials to a tyre - when I sold it after nine years I could not remember having put a back tyre on it but I must have done, though certainly not more than one.

The Beta 4t takes some beating in the mud, I can only compare it to the Rev3 as that's all I've ridden really. The 4t is so much grippier than the 2t

Same rider, same tyres, same sections, same mud, same talent (lack of...) ;)

Another agreement with boomont (sp?)

1) sy250

2) Beta rev

3) Montesa

4)

5)

6) GasGas in my opinion is terrible for traction (yes rider does matter). The flywheel is to light and motor to responsive. Better for dry conditions

6) GasGas in my opinion is terrible for traction (yes rider does matter). The flywheel is to light and motor to responsive. Better for dry conditions

Maybe this thread should be renamed "What is the grippiest bike in the hands of a novice/clubman" as the likes of Morris,Thorpe,Danby,Haslam,Wigg (when he was riding one) certainly seem to get grip where its needed on one.

On another note, with so many people saying the SY250 is the grippiest, why don't we see so many more people on them then? ;)

I rode a Colwyn trial about a month ago, and was stood looking at a section when a 2 stroke (can't remember what it was) flew up a slippy bank.

A rider next to me said "Hmmm 2 stroke grip that" and it surprised me as usually 4 stroke riders say the 4 bangers get the grip.

This wasn't just an average novice rider, it was an 'experienced' decent centre rider. In fact it was Phil Houghton - he can defend himself ;)

I asked him what he meant (as I thought it was a bit of sarcasm at first) but he reckoned it was definitely a myth about the 4 stroke getting more grip. I suppose it depends on the conditions, but generally he reckoned the 2 banger got the grip.

I rode a Colwyn trial about a month ago, and was stood looking at a section when a 2 stroke (can't remember what it was) flew up a slippy bank.

I would suggest that he may have been carrying a lot of speed before he hit the bank which ensured he flew up it. Something a lot of us just cant seem to do :D Its partly about inertia so getting the bike to move with a lardy ass on it in the first place is the first issue to overcome ....... How do you get over that problem then Gaz ;)

Good point Atomant, as you suggest the question is more relevant as "What is the grippiest bike in the hands of a novice/clubman" as most decent experts seem to have the nack no matter what. And its awesome to witness, especially when you've just fallen aot just trying to walk a section, and somebody sails round feet up, one of the real treats in trials.

Around here I do see a lot of SY250's doing well, certainly up to good inter level, though nowadays I'm even more convinced that its about the rider finding the grip, an SY250 may have a slight edge, but its nothing compared with somebody who has the finesse and focus.

I would suggest that he may have been carrying a lot of speed before he hit the bank which ensured he flew up it. Something a lot of us just cant seem to do :D

No it was a big rock, then drop to a standing start and turn up the bank. I was surprised myself at Phil's comment but he's ridden a fair few of both. I know I've seen Phil riding an older Honda 4 banger.

Its partly about inertia so getting the bike to move with a lardy ass on it in the first place is the first issue to overcome ....... How do you get over that problem then Gaz ;)

Weight is only a problem when you can't put it in the right place. For about 3% of my riding it helps out, by getting massive weight over that back end.

For the other 97% the arms can't put it where it's meant to be and I'm "Fighting with Gravity" (an adjustment of the Sherco logo for my sake).

:P

Edited by bikespace