Grippiest Bike?

5again

It's interesting that people have said the 4rt is a 'grippy' bike. I have heard conflicting views on that.

This was interesting what was in Todays James Dabill Report after round 1 of the WTC.....

“ All day I have struggled to find grip, and never got enough speed up on the approaches to the steps. The second lap was a real disaster, with one five after another. I need to do some more training in the wet, so that I can be better equipped for Bangor next weekend.”

I have only ever ridden one for about an hour so I am not qualified to give an educated view however, what are the honest thoughts of people who have ridden them in the mud.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's interesting that people have said the 4rt is a 'grippy' bike. I have heard conflicting views on that.

This was interesting what was in Todays James Dabill Report after round 1 of the WTC.....

No it was a big rock, then drop to a standing start and turn up the bank. I was surprised myself at Phil's comment but he's ridden a fair few of both. I know I've seen Phil riding an older Honda 4 banger.

I think there is a picture of the section you are on about on my website.

And Phil some times rides an RTL250

Just read through all this lot with interest even tho I only ride twinshock now.It reminded me of the Bath Knut trial back in 1986 or 87,with Steve Saunders absolutely flying up a muddy slot on his RTL which was so steep it would have been a strugggle in the dry - he just made it look so easy,nobody else did.I couldnt get my RTL ,(in 89) to do anything like as good as my TYR did in 88.

Mr Saunders knows a thing or two about trials............

Grippiest Bike - the one with the best rider on it........maybe why Dibs finished where he did in luxembourg

my own experiences - grippiest ever ridden RTL honda, pity I couldn't handle what it found, The beta gets me all the grip I can handle now though. Maybe that's a big part of it, being able to handle the grip the bike finds...

Maybe that's a big part of it, being able to handle the grip the bike finds...

Very good point, my bike wheelied up hills that 2 strokes were spinning up which meant that I had to shut off on the scary bits :D

I was out riding the Fantic 200 with mi mates who were on 4RT's this one slimey hill they couldn't get up, the Fantic would p*** up it, when you compare the twin shock swing arm to that of a Mono shock, your stood very close to the back axle, the monos have a lot longer swing arm to fit the linkage in

I found riding the 4rt in Scottland on the moor big climbs it found grip best when luggin down and would keep pulling, get too quick on the throttle and it would click into reverse, I think most of it is how good a throttle control you have.

It can be a bit scary backing off the throttle going at a step, but it can give you momentum.

i found my 4rt was no good in the mud i tried for 9months but couldn't get it to work. riders who have gone from modern 2t's to any 4t slid down the leader board in all classes in my centre. its a god send when someone i can't beat buys a 4t cos i will beat them on my beta 2t.

i've own the sy250 and agree with all comments they are grippy in the mud. the reason for why i think they are grippy is the way the power is delivered. unlike a sherco 2t or gasser 2t these bikes spin easily, whereas the scorpa and the beta are more similar with engine power. the scorpa in my opinion being slightly better in the mud but its the 2002 - 2006 bikes which are the best. i've ridden an 07 and its got less grip than my 07 beta in the mud. the best answer is to buy a 125cc or 200cc 2t they don't spin because they've not got the power. in the case in sticky mud bike power to push the gears is what works, which brings me back the the sy250 and beta 250 2t. for nadgery wet sections a 125 or 200cc with a 12 stone rider. for deep sticky mud a sy250 or beta 250 for a 12 stone rider..... and none of the top south eastern elite riders ride 4t's.

4ts are good on rocks if i lived in a centre with rocks i'd buy another 4rt. the beta 4t doesn't look like its got much top end power i'm not sure why but they do struggle on flat out hills. the 05 sherco's are smooth, the 08 sherco's are fierce and the scorpa..... dunno looks nice i guess.

• 2 weeks later...