How To Make An Ariel Ht 5 Like The Top Uk Rides Have

bobtlr

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No good you trying to contact him he's probably hammered in Manhattans. Full of Cider no doubt. :banana2::thumbup:

Na bo, cider no more, only Guinness goes down me neck now :D , and as for manhattens its like a scene from dawn of the dead, once n once only :(

hey ,

found an article on sammy miller's pre 65 replica he used in the '90s would that sort of bike be competitive today?

its 225lbs and has a modified front roadholder fork (not a modern in old sliders) i guess a bike like that would be quite easy to make as there are no big mods on it,

stil i don't get how it can only weigh 225 lbs. wat does a "mildly millerised" stock pre 65 ariel weigh (so using alloy engineplates, real pre 65 brakes, ...)

i guess the super trick bikes are not really a must to be competitive in pre 65? someone i know had one (120kg long stroke 600 cc) and was verry good with that bike (eurocup winner)

regards bob

stil i don't get how it can only weigh 225 lbs. wat does a "mildly millerised" stock pre 65 ariel weigh (so using alloy engineplates, real pre 65 brakes, ...)

That's a pretty standard weight for a "Millerized" HT (including my own) using common aftermarket bits. Some have been whittled down to 200-205 lbs depending on who you talk to. Either figure is a long way off of a production HT and very close to my old Honda TL250 in fact! ;)

Doug

There's a pic of Duncan Macdonald's Ariel in Classic Dirt Bike Issue 10, Page 32, it looks very tidy, as you'd expect. Not sure how period the forks are as they look very similar to those on Woody's Majesty that is in the same shot - and those aren't standard either ;).

Knowing Duncan the finish will be 'factory' but very definitely not standard. Haven't seen any close ups of Duncan bike anywhere, but it would be worth a look at when considering what to do.

This issue of Classic DB is a bit of an Ariel fest, as they test Gaunties 'slightly modded' version over a couple of pages.

hey,

tnx for the info on cdb magasine, so its of to the bookshop, or ordering it online as i'm affraid they don't sell it in belgium yet

regards bob

Bob. google www.classicdirtbike.co.uk you will find a link to order online.

Cheers