Bantam Evil-bay

b40rt

smoke and mirrors comes to mind.

what is the seller actually saying this bike is. he links it to famous riders but offers no direct link or provenance. much is intimated yet nothing is promised. could say '' lashed together in a shed in 1970'' or ''actual bike ridden by X in 1967'' but says niether in which case i refer you to my little knowledge of Latin 'caveat emptor''

having had a mo to do a little research, i found some photos of olga riding a bantam in 1959 whilst it does have the c11 type forks the rest of the bike bears little/ no resemblance to that on sale at the moment. exhaust/ tank/seat/ guards all noticably very different to olgas...

Interesting, I competed on a '59 Bantam for a couple of years. I finally gave up as they really don't make a very good Trials bike - even after much altering.

Someone has taken quite a bit of time working on this one. It seems to suggest that the Factory had something to do with it .... I really doubt it. I would say that it's a "one-off" that someone built to try riding Trials. Would be fun to try it out.... but sure not worth very much.

Here is mine: me1.jpg

Interesting, I competed on a '59 Bantam for a couple of years. I finally gave up as they really don't make a very good Trials bike - even after much altering.

Someone has taken quite a bit of time working on this one. It seems to suggest that the Factory had something to do with it .... I really doubt it. I would say that it's a "one-off" that someone built to try riding Trials. Would be fun to try it out.... but sure not worth very much.

Here is mine: me1.jpg

Now thats what I call a sprocket !

Hi Guy's .

I think the write up for this bike is total fiction. I will try and contact Pat Slinn has he is the only man that will Know about the last of the factory bikes. We have a Bantam that was used around the BSA Factory, so is that a works bike, we also have a Bantam that was built by one of the Road Testers at BSA , so is that a factory bike, NO.

Regard's Charlie.

I wonder if anyone has seen the magazine quoted "British Bike Mechanics" Not sure but I think that was a very short lived mag. That might shed some light on it.

update: Result of a quick Google session

BRITISH BIKE MECHANICS MAY 1988 No8

BSA ROCKET 3 TEST – PROJECT NORTON COMMANDO – HOW TO BUILD A TRAILS BANTAM

Wayne...

Edited by wayne_weedon

Hi

I've got a classic bike mag with an article on the renovation of one of the works bantams from about 1966/67 it states that the works engines had the number red 1 ,2,3 ...three engines the red is apparently short for reditch and these where the developement bike for the replacement for the C15 if i can find the article I'll try and post it here

cheers helm

Group,

Along with several "errors" I noted that he lists it as having a 4 speed transmission. He states that the serial number of the engine makes it a 1960 - I know of no 1960 Bantams that had 4 speed transmissions, and it's my understanding that a 4 speed will not fit in the 1960 cases.

Unless the transmission gearing has be altered drastically that rear sprocket is not going to work for Trials (note the one on my bike). He states that it is 'street legal'. Well my experience is that if you make a Bantam ,Trials ready ,you are not going to be riding it on the street. Mine has a top speed of between 25 and 30 mph.

I just hope that whoever buys it understands what he is getting.

Alan