Workshop Necessities

shercoman2k8

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The typical Redneck Tool Box

Hammers ------4 lb sledge, Ball peen, 16 oz Claw, rubber mallet.

Adjustable wrench ----- SAE and Metric :D

Vise Grips -------3 sizes

Pliers -------slip joint, channel lock, needle nose.

:rolleyes:

Everybody else had such good serious replies thought we could use a little stupidi.......levity.

Start out with just getting the tools you will use the most.

Combination wrenches.

Ratchet and Socket set.

Screw drivers

Borrow the big stuff until you have saved enough to buy your own. It took me years to acquire the mass of useless junk that I have.

Edited by ZIPPY

having a number of tool boxes ( i'm a central heating engineer) for work i have my sparks box, gas box, soldering box, masonary box, drill box, some have duplicates in one or more boxes but this way i know that if i pick up my soldring box everyhting i could ever need would be in it.

same goes for my bikes 3 bikes ( two metric one imperial) just finished putting together a box for my beta. i bought a set of spanners and allen keys, toched every fastner with them then set aside all the spanners/ keys not used so they dont go in the box. added a flat blade screw driver a phillips ( size 2) driver. pliers ( with a cutting edge) i have air filter cleaner and oil, two stroke oil, gear oil, wd40, contact cleaner. tyre pressure gauge.

that all fits in a nice biscuit tin and comes to every trial not needed anything else yet...

Well, as the title really, I've been wondering about workshop necessities...

What do I need? Fed up of borrowing the old mans tools... what do I need in the way of tools, oils, lubricants, nuts, bolts, washers and anything else?

I know the important stuff but I'm interested to what you all reccomend? Please give a quality make/brand but good value, dont want them breaking or not doing there job properly, so yeah, shoot away people...

Cheers in advance,

Jamie

I have several kits as well. I do not like to be overly equipped at home, less the wife find out and expect too much from me ! Air compressor is always useful though.

I have many expensive professional tools from snap-on and the like, but for general use, that is why I ask about the Sears brand, as they make ans sell several good assortments such as a kit ov about 20 top quality screwdrivers that can be had for as many quid! Socket and ratchet sets as well. Guaranteed for life! Who's life I am not sure?

For pliars, slipjoint, needlenose and sidecutters, Channelock brand is the standard for most, as is Vicegrip type and brand of clamping pliers!

Crescent is the brand for adjustable spanners, although I have found others priced less and decent quality.

For the most part, my trialskit is also the shedkit, built for portability and 90 percent of anything I would need to do in the field or at home. Add to that, the spares kit, which travels in a tote box, which has things like levers and such, oils and plug in inflator and dog turds for a pinch! Rope wire and hose! You can never have everything it seems ,Yomee Beader! The old box, which I got as a teenager, still works well and has many trinkets in it. I could perform circumcisions or turn a Bull into a common cow with whats in the box!

Even the trusty Camelback includes an adjustable spanner, folding allens and a 10mm spanner for on the trials! Another kit! Which is used more by others than myself, also the ty-raps!

It all varies, as you can nevr have enough! But at the same time, well, you may not need it all(Murpheys Law)!

I will try to post a piccie later!

having a number of tool boxes ( i'm a central heating engineer) for work i have my sparks box, gas box, soldering box, masonary box, drill box, some have duplicates in one or more boxes but this way i know that if i pick up my soldring box everyhting i could ever need would be in it.

same goes for my bikes 3 bikes ( two metric one imperial) just finished putting together a box for my beta. i bought a set of spanners and allen keys, toched every fastner with them then set aside all the spanners/ keys not used so they dont go in the box. added a flat blade screw driver a phillips ( size 2) driver. pliers ( with a cutting edge) i have air filter cleaner and oil, two stroke oil, gear oil, wd40, contact cleaner. tyre pressure gauge.

that all fits in a nice biscuit tin and comes to every trial not needed anything else yet...

I have a box that goes in the back of the car with a set of basic tools that I never take out in the garage (in case I forget to put them back in again)

which also includes trailer spare wheel, trailer spare hub, tubes, 2 stroke, links and chain, air filter, condensors etc etc

Hmm, im sure ive seen a Sears stall at the local market with a big rack of spanners, do a hell of a lot with Bosch power tools? Will keep an eye out for them at the next market!

How much easier does a decent scissor stand for the bike make work? im still using a log to perch the bike on! :( Got a decent socket set but nothing huge, will have to invest in some more sockets for the rear axle and swingarm! What type of allen keys do you all recomend, a few people reccomend the t-bar hand grip style but I prefer the classic style... Also, should i invest in a torque wrench? dont really feel like I need one as I have a pretty good feel of correct tensions but you never know!

Thanks for the link to machine mart, fed up with screwfix and there three weeks to the highlands nonsense! picked myself a right deal on a record 1 ton bench vice...

A good bench vice can be useful, but actually I am not sure that I use one for the trialsbike stuff!

I have a couple of good folding stands that work well, expensive! Yet to be honest, for the home shop, I am not sure that the MX style that you press a foot lever to raise the bike is not easiest and best. Opinions may vary.

The traveling trials kitbox, well it still weighs in heavy, but somewhere in there 90% of everything needed, in life! Although I have downgraded from the claw hammer to the beer hammer! Yes, it has an opener in the stainless steel end!

A 'stand alone' tool kit to take to events is a good idea. You don't have to put your best tools in it incase they get lost in a muddy field. You don't need to hunt around the garage/shed for kit that you've used in the week, just check that you've got the box and you're ready to go. Mine includes the socket for removing the trailer wheel which is different from the car.

I am just surprized Zippy has not commented upon the Beerhammer!

Probably due to the fact he is still in shock at my expertise!

If anyone happened to notice those L handle allens with a ball end, good luck finding them! My kit went through 12mm! Priceless!

White packs include exam gloves, plastic syrenges for specimine samples! And topping brake fluids! Spares kit includes the lubes!

They are all in there somewhere! :(

Edited by copemech

I am just surprized Zippy has not commented upon the Beerhammer!

Probably due to the fact he is still in shock at my expertise!

If anyone happened to notice those L handle allens with a ball end, good luck finding them! My kit went through 12mm! Priceless!

White packs include exam gloves, plastic syrenges for specimine samples! And topping brake fluids! Spares kit includes the lubes!

They are all in there somewhere! :(

Check out Kamasa for ball end allen keys, not snap-on, but ok for most jobs.