Bad Starting

docktor

Choke when cold little or no throttle. Stab at kickstart rather than push through.

Make sure the carb is nice and clean float set up right and new plug set at right gap. Clean air filter with correct oiling.

always good starters.

I agree, a stab (fast) gets it going better than a push, the other important thing is the pilot mixture setting, too lean (in) can make it just that much harder to start as well.

Spencer

Doesn't make sense but they will start better hot if you put a richer pilot jet in. I also find I have to choke mine when hot fairly often, usually after it's hot and I shut it off for a few minutes, say to walk a section before I ride it. If you give it 3 good hard kicks and it won't start, try choking it.

Craig

Doesn't make sense but they will start better hot if you put a richer pilot jet in. I also find I have to choke mine when hot fairly often, usually after it's hot and I shut it off for a few minutes, say to walk a section before I ride it. If you give it 3 good hard kicks and it won't start, try choking it.

Craig

Craig,

I've got a richer #38 pilot in mine (and have a knurled knob on my fuel screw so I take a second to reset it before each ride for best throttle response) and still have found, like you, that after walking the section, if it does not start first kick, the choke will fire it up every time in one or two kicks. I've heard of this situation enough times before that it seems to be a quirk of some Pros, but easily worked around.

On the other's advice about "stabbing" at the kickstart, just make sure you lock up the racheting mechanism first, or you run the risk of eventually damaging the idler gear and/or kickstart shaft teeth.

Jon