1st Round Scottish Championships

slapshot 3

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brilliant day out, cracking sections, new section marking system worked brilliantly, brilliant weather as well what more could you ask.

Gary MacDonald won dropping 4, Craig Houston second on 43, don't know any more scores.

Banchory (presume you mean Craiglash?) will fall under BAMCC and Bigfoot is usually pretty good at getting results on TC. Now some photos go along with those results would be nice... :rolleyes:

Banchory (presume you mean Craiglash?) will fall under BAMCC and Bigfoot is usually pretty good at getting results on TC. Now some photos go along with those results would be nice... :rolleyes:

Get in touch with Bill McGregor mate, I was observing.

Ask and ye shall receive. For all the peeps that asked today here are the galleries from todays trial. www.aslq88.dsl.pipex.com/lash09/ Great day out, great weather, new route system seemed good, large entry what more could you ask for. One question though, are twinshocks the new "in thing" in Scottish Trials ?

Immaculate timing Bill..Ta. Twin Shocks definately not new but they seem to be getting more popular. Glad you enjoyed the day

EDIT: Nice Pics Bill, ta

Edited by Slapshot 3

I must admit the new colour marking system ran better than even I expected.

I spoke to every observer, none had any problems whatsoever.

I spoke to a varied cross section of the riders and they all voted it a great success.

No-one had a problem with their coloured route, nobody was confused and quite a number said after riding just three sections on the first lap and they had grasped the whole concept, look for your coloured gate and ride through it.

Quite a number of riders felt they had more choice of line as well, not being hemmed in by the old red and blue boundary cards.

This system is definately the way forward for Scottish trials!

Riders have been asking for something like this for some time, clubs have suggested it and the SACU have listened and given them positive direction on the matter.

I do hope that clubs in Scotland will go one better, it is only mandatory for Scottish Championship events at present, I suggest it should be adopted for all trials in Scotland as soon as possible. It would make things easier for riders and observers.

I was asked a question today, "what if a trial only wants three routes or even two routes" Easy... just drop the easiest colour from the bottom up and use either the three or two top colours! So... for a four route trial it's Red; Blue; Green & Yellow, for three route trial it's Red; Blue & Green and a two route its Red and Blue!

There is only very fine tuning required to the system used today and that is to decide how the cards should be used when laying out an event i.e. multiple on one card or just a combination of single cards grouped together.

Big John

Edited by Big John

Immaculate timing Bill..Ta. Twin Shocks definately not new but they seem to be getting more popular. Glad you enjoyed the day

EDIT: Nice Pics Bill, ta

I think Twinshocks must be the in thing in the North East,I have 9 entered out of an entry of 63 for the Balfron round of the support championship.

Glad your day went well,the good weather always helps.

Typical of the Scots ....not wanting to buy two different colourd markers for left and right!

We have some tight sections in some of our trials, so with 'Blue' gates and 'Red' gates etc, how do riders determine the direction to go through the gates in, are they shaped like direction arrows?

Typical of the Scots ....not wanting to buy two different colourd markers for left and right!

Yeah, we've now got 4 colours that's really typical of us isn't.... :rolleyes:

We have some tight sections in some of our trials, so with 'Blue' gates and 'Red' gates etc, how do riders determine the direction to go through the gates in, are they shaped like direction arrows?

Shaped arrows, pointing inwards, ride between your colours....really simple

Firstly, the trial was excellent and I'd like to thank everyone involved for a brilliant day. As my obsever had to drop out last minute I offered at the sign in to forfeit my ride and do the honours but was told there were plenty volunteers so I was let off. A very big thank you to all observers that came for that, and if you had to walk out to the sections you have my respect.

I found the new marking system very easy to understand and I for one would be very happy if all trials were marked like this in the future. Considering this was new to most folk, I heard no complaints whilst lining up at the start gates.

Lastly, I rode like numpty, clocked too many 'fives' to mention, my mate whipped me by a good 20 points but.......... I HAD FUN.........isn't that what it's all about ????

Thanks again to all, a totally brilliant day :rolleyes:

GJ :thumbup:

Gary really enjoyed the trial and the new system, not to mention the fact that there were some harder sections included. One of the best Scottish rounds he's been to for some time. Thanks to all at bon accord. Will the results be available soon?

Cheers

Sandra

Edited by Scottie

Exellent trial, best scottish trial I've been at.

Weather was perfect aswell! I think the new marking system is a good step forward it worked well and lets the plotters make the adult class that bit harder, which is what we need!

Thanks to all the observers and lay out team.

Craig

The new section marking system in Scotland now allows the Clerk of Course to set a much higher standard for the red route (Adult Championship) riders. The Blue route will effectively replace what has become known as the 'masters' route from now on, the name masters does not reflect the correct standard of rider. Green route is for Scottish Clubmen and former B route riders & twinshocks. Over time I think it might be a good idea to use the yellow route for Youth C; beginners and 'pure Pre-65' leaving the twinshocks to ride the slightly harder green route.

We do however need a season under our belts to let things settle down and for clubs to become conversant with the standard and become comfortable with the coloured system.

It's so simple, I admit we should have used this two or maybe three seasons ago, but Rome wasn't built in a day!

I think to promote more twinshock and Pre-65 machines out of sheds, now is the time to consider perhaps splitting back the twinshocks from the Pre-65 with the proviso that Pre65 can ride as 'twinshocks' if they want...

any thoughts???

Big John