Selling A Registered Bike Abroad

manwithtool

I've just sold my bike on ebay. Buyer is from CZ with 0 feedback. emails so far seem ok with no obvious scam signs. However, he has asked for a photo of the frame number and photo of reg document to ensure that numbers match. I'm a bit nervous of doing this in case it's cloned..but then I think all this info is available if you have the reg number so I think it's as safe as riding around with a number plate on ?

Second question is regarding the reg document. If I sell abroad what do I tell DVLA. I don't want any speeding fines heading my way from the UK or CZ for that matter.

I've asked DVLA so if no one can help I should have an answer anyway and will post it here.

The buyer wants a courier company to collect the bike (no he hasn't asked me to pay for this) Again I see no problem with this as long as I have cleared funds in my bank. And I'll have the bike collected from my work address.

Any advice or info welcome......I hate selling bikes....worst part of trials !!

whilst its right to be cautious , if we didnt believe anybody then nothing would happen . so get the cheque make sure its absolutely cleared beyond all claims ( letter from the bank to confirm) and then release bike

i have done this a couple of times for bikes with no comeback whatsoever, i've even had calls months later thanking for the bike

not everyones a nigerian banking scammer..

You need to tell the dvlc that the bike has been permanently exported, i did this with two cars when we moved to france, there is (was) a bit on the registration document to send off to do this.

How is payment being made ?

Cheques can bounce several months after they have been cleared.

How can a cheque bounce months later if matey has the cash in his hand, I can't see it. If you send pics of frame no and v5 block part of the number(same part on both pics of course)

How can a cheque bounce months later if matey has the cash in his hand, I can't see it. If you send pics of frame no and v5 block part of the number(same part on both pics of course)

Brother-in-law works in fraud with major bank. If cheque proves to have been "washed" or many other methods of fraud, your account could still be severely dented.

• 1 year later...

about six months ago I bought a 2002 sherco (Im from malta) without seeing it, its a risk but I couldn't find any other way so I payed via paypal and sent the courier to collect. thank god everything went ok.

Atm im looking for a KTM enduro bike road registerd to bring to malta but im afraid to risk ~