New M/c Test

dixie

A lad up my road took the new two part (must be abuot five parts by my reconing) on tuesday.

We live about 25 miles from the NEW test centre, Lucky for him his instructor trailored there bikes to the off road portion.

I didn,t realise the new test includes going through a speed trap at 40k then swerving and stopping in a box ,The lad taking his test with my mate fell off and broke his collar bone.

The examiner said he was the 5th or 6th person to crash,this test has been in opperation for just over a week.

What fantastic brain came up with this latest anti bike lunacy,No cosideration is made for bad wather or ground conditions.

I suppose if some poor lad dies on his way to his pre test safety test then the antis will say told you so.

My mate failed and he has been riding bikes for ten years at least.

I'm working toward my test at the moment and am gutted to have slipped past the deadline for the additional test elements. I am told that at least the test fee of

Glad I passed in 74, did you do the driving round the block thing as well?

Got mine in 80 think it was 15 quid , we had to go round the block and the guy on the side of the road jummped out when he wanted you to do the emergency stop.

looking to do mine at the moment. Cant believe how much its going to cost to get. As i dont have a road bike and gear cos i only want the licence for road trials, the cost for hourly lesson is massive, Plus the cost of tests, theory, cbt e.t.c is prob going to get up to about

Unless things have changed since I got my Motorcycle Road License 19 years ago, All we do in Michigan is take a 10 question paper test and a relatively easy road test. But you must have an automobile operator license first.

It would be nice if more attention was given to the different dangers and hazards that motorcycles face and how to ride safely, as well as safety gear. (just love seeing the guys in flip flops, muscle shirt, and shorts with a helmet (just because the law requires it).

Also would be nice of more attention was given to watching out for bikes during the Automobile driving courses.

Notice subtitle, disaster! One does need to prepare for a certain amount of it when riding on the road! I have had my fair share!

Can I still do a full stop controlled lock -up slide into a box? On a 4-5 600lb road bike? Maybe?

On a crotch rocket? Lets not go there! But probably still.

I find it almost embarrasing to say that I have been riding for over 40 years now, and I typically discourage novices from (specially)hot street bikes. As they have no idea what they are getting into.

For a fair pittance, I could easily enough give and tell lessons that may save your life, not that any of that has anything to do with this discussion. Money.

Unless things have changed since I got my Motorcycle Road License 19 years ago, All we do in Michigan is take a 10 question paper test and a relatively easy road test. But you must have an automobile operator license first.

It would be nice if more attention was given to the different dangers and hazards that motorcycles face and how to ride safely, as well as safety gear. (just love seeing the guys in flip flops, muscle shirt, and shorts with a helmet (just because the law requires it).

Also would be nice of more attention was given to watching out for bikes during the Automobile driving courses.

From the "I ride in shorts" bregade!

Glue some of those Gaerne soles on your tennis shoes dude! :P

copemech Posted Yesterday, 10:36 PM

QUOTE (ZIPPY @ May 9 2009, 07:42 PM) *

From the "I ride in shorts" bregade!

Glue some of those Gaerne soles on your tennis shoes dude! huh.gif

That would be the "I ride TRIALS in shorts brigade"

The possibility of Road Rash at 60MPH on a trials bike is much less than on a road bike. (No road trials here)

And no where did I say that adults 18 and older MUST wear the proper gear, just that it needs to be brought to the attention of those learning to ride. I believe it is their choice whether or not to wear it, They should be provided with enough information to make an informed choice. Same goes for seat belts in cars. (May seem a bit hypocritical but 17yrs and younger should be required to wear seat belts and helmets, leathers and boots, just because 18yrs is the standard age of adulthood and therefore can make their own decisions concerning their safety.)

I do agree with your discouragement of novices from getting the hot street bikes, as you are correct they don't know what they are getting into. I also discourage beginners from the large displacement street bikes.

Yep I think money is playing a large part in the new testing.

edit: fixed spelling errors and punctuation

Edited by ZIPPY