So Are 2 Strokes Dead?

ba baraccus

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Look at the decibel figures being quoted - they are rediculously low - ie less than normal conversation.

I have coppied this from some obscure website.

remember Decibels are Logarithmic

Note! Doubling the signal level increases the decibel with 3 dB !

Normal conversation (3-5') 60-70dB

Telephone dial tone 80dB

City Traffic (inside car) 85dB

Train whistle at 500' 90dB

Subway train at 200' 95dB

Level at which sustained exposure may result in hearing loss 90 - 95dB

Power mower 107dB

Power saw 110dB

Pain begins 125dB

Pneumatic riveter at 4' 125dB

Jet engine at 100' 140dB

Death of hearing tissue 180dB

Loudest sound possible 194dB

How bitter you all are ?

I have just basically relayed the facts of a conversation that went on during practice last Sunday after I asked where the bloke on the New Montesa had gone.

None of us round here pay that much anal attention to whats hot and whats not ! We just concentrate on our own bikes and improving our riding.

Most of us have only heard runours of 4 Stroke bikes over the past year or so. There was a assumption made that the Monty was a 4 stroke.

I will not appologise or back down from my original post because I stand by it as that was what happend on the day.

Most of you will not give a toss what I am writing here but I just thought I'd have my say as so many of you have passed judgment on me and my good character so quickly and cruelly.

I only appologise to BA Baraccus for all of the **** that flew on his post after I first posted.

So,

In my opinion 30 4rT's in a field would create a hell of a lot more noise than 30 2Strokes.

I have seen and heard a 4rT and they are loud.

I worry for the future if 4 Stroke become the norm because Land will be lost ?!

JonH Sigining Off.............................................................................

BITTER !! We are not bitter.......We are a happy lot.........Just having fun exposing someone spreading rubbish is all.....The truth is important to us, obviuosly doesn't hold much value to you........But keep posting and we'll keep telling your full of it..........MADMAX :banana:

Edited by madmax

Guest Yamaha_dude
Loudest sound possible 194dB

Some unlucky git that tested the db on that then

None of us round here pay that much anal attention

Im sure someone will think of something funny to write about that.

Anyway i heard the mont 4rt at the scott and was it loud, yes it was a little louder but what can you expect, i presume the difference between your average joe 4 and 2 is huge, but honda will have taken notice of what people will say about it and tried as hard as possible to make it quiet.

It was louder but also softer, the questions about grip etc i cannot answer :P but im sure noise will not make much difference or the 2s would be banned because of emmisions and the 4s because of noise... no trials bikes at all!!! ;)

:banana: YD Richard Longstaff GD :banana:

Look at the decibel figures being quoted - they are rediculously low - ie less than normal conversation.

Note! Doubling the signal level increases the decibel with 3 dB !

Hi all,

Being a soundman I can share this:-

It takes twice the wattage (power amps) to increase by 3dB.

A change of 10dB is perceived as 'twice as loud'.

Each doubling of the distance between the sound source and the measuring device (or you!) will result in a 6dB drop. All those dB levels you mention were probably at the statutory 1 metre distance and I doubt JonH was at 1 metre distance.

Ian.

hi andy i dont want to upset but there is actually one or two 4t's about, and i definitely no of one because as ive previously said in this discussion a chap called james noble ( well known in yorkshire) was riding one at baliss gap farm at the werthby club last weekend. :banana:

the little japaneise riding one at twin ring motegi (japan) they actually carried a laptop aroud with them to program the egnition to respond correctly in each section.

did he have a little japaneise with a laptop chasing him? :banana:

I've heard some rumours of one around the West Midlands area. The rumour was it hadn't come in to the country through a dealer and it wasn't competing until they were readily available. Are they available elsewhere already then, or am I hearing bull???

Bloody Hell - I can't believe the animosity Jon H has attracted with his post. Regardless of whether you believe it was the 4T Montesa, all he said was a 4T was louder than a 2T and that is generally the case. If Jon was at the practise ground I think he is referring to there is every chance the landowner has a decibel meter and was on the warpath as the council are close to closing him down through noise - caused mainly by 4T motox, enduro bikes and quads.

On the subject of noise, I have a 426 Yam enduro and my mates have 2T KTMs. Regardless of the decibel level (which is a science/load of B*****ks in its own right - my Ossa registered 107 at one trial - yeah right) my Yam can be heard from some distance away being ridden in thick woods at our practise area, whether being revved or pootled along, the KTMs can't so you wouldn't know they were there. The low thump of a 4T carries much further than the 2T. (Therefore I don't ride my bike there)

None of us as Joe public know whether 2 Strokes are dead or not just as none of us know whether that was a 4T Mont or not. We weren't there. They are, or have been available in Europe so who's to say someone hasn't brought one into the UK independently. There have been plenty of direct imports, why not a 4T Mont. Give the guy a break. He hasn't been malicious or insulted anyone, said anything damaging (how is what he said damaging...??) What did everyone get so wound up about? It's like a bunch of bird watchers miffed that they weren't the first to spot the newly hatched lesser spotted throat warbling 4T Monty. Lighten up.

As far as 2 stokes being dead, how can anyone on here answer that one. If it was intended to generate a debate it certainly did that...... just not on the actual topic. :banana:

An educated guess would be that if 2 strokes were about to be outlawed Yamaha would not have invested a tidy sum in developing their all new alloy framed YZ125 and 250 2 strokes but left the 4 strokes with the steel ones. KTM have only just introduced brand new 2 stroke engines in their enduro range. That suggests they will be around for a while yet. If the FIM want to ban 2 stokes from the WTC let them. As club riders do we really give a stuff. If the other factories can't afford to develop 4T WTC contenders what are the FIM going to do? Close the championship down or have it as the Montesa/Honda challenge for maybe half a dozen riders, or allow 2 strokes to continue.

The FIM can't ban the use of 2 strokes in individual countries outside of the WTC, so as long as government/global legislation allows them to be produced the factories will continue to produce them if there is a demand. Just a personal opinion.