So Are 2 Strokes Dead?

ba baraccus

My 200 GG at 20m on 1/2 throttle  =  27 dB

Blokes Montesa 4ST at 20m 1/2 throttle  =  45 dB

Threshold for the land is 35 dB at 20m

there's a really bad smell around here JonH can you smell it?.... O look there goes one of them flying pigs :banana:

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We were practicing last Sunday for about 3 hours with no complaints from residents nearby.

A rider turned up on a New Montesa 4T and within 15 minutes the land owner turned up looking quite anoyed !

Funny thing was the Landowner thought that the blokes New Monty was knackered !  :P  He asked him to leave and not come back till he'd fixed his bike ! :banana:

After it was explaind that the bike was fine and that was how it should sound the land owner sent him on his way then asked him not to return with the bike as it was too load and would cause complaints.

The only time this has ever happened before was when MX and Quad bikes were around making a row !!

My mates and I have a good reputaion in the area that we have built up over time. We have proved to many land owners in the area that Trials bikes are not loud enough to cause complaints. So now most people dont  group us together with the ' trouble making noise louts ' on MX and Quad biikes who loose access to land in our area !

How long will this last with the advent of the 4 Stroke ?

My 200 GG at 20m on 1/2 throttle  =  27 dB

Blokes Montesa 4ST at 20m 1/2 throttle  =  45 dB

Threshold for the land is 35 dB at 20m

If this post is bull$h*t, it's really irresponsible, and has no place on this board.

:banana:

John...back it up or shove off.

This one takes the cake........I think the loud noise the land owner heard was the endless amount of rubbish coming out of your pie hole........You have reached the threshold (0m) of complete stupidity.........

PS, was the testing too the current FIM standards or some other spec........

Give us all a break..............MADMAX

Edited by madmax

Oooooooh what have I done ?!!!

I have a sound meter on my Mobile Phone.

The land owner has a sound meter.

The bloke on the monty was not my mate.

We did not get to talk to him.

His bike sounded like the 4rT I saw at the UK bike show last week.

His bike was brand new.

From a didstance we assumed it was a New 4rT

This is not a back down !

Just some more facts from last Sunday.

Hi,

The new Nokia's have a sound meter (SPL meter) built in.....as well as an electronic compass. The drummer in our band has one.......WHY!...I'll never know...but it was fun playing with it trying to break it with 10k worth of Nexo PA blasting right at it.....:-)

Also has a Calorie counter, thermometer, flashlight, radio......oh!, and it also works as a phone believe it or not!

PS. In saying that, I don't believe JonH's story anyway. Photos please?

Ian.

A rider turned up on a New Montesa 4T

Am i reading right here, i did not think there was any accross the water, sounds like a day dream

The 175 Scorpa 4t you can not here it is quiet as a mouse, But... If you take out the 4 restrictors she does get louder but still acceptable

i herd the mont 4t at the scott at various sections she was not loud, the word purrrrring

comes to mind

vinnie

Edited by Vinnied

His bike was brand new.

Well... I s'pose it could have been one of those home-made "specials" that are around. An old RTL engine in a 315 chassis maybe? I'm still pondering the possibility of shoe-horning a KTM 525EXC lump into my Rev-3 after reading the 4-stroke Beta thread :banana::banana: Rotate the planet indeed...

Something still smells fishy to me though. You don't work for John Lampkin or John Shirt do you?

Oooooooh what have I done ?!!!

His bike was brand new.

This is not a back down !

Just some more facts from last Sunday.

JonH, your story is a pure canard... a lie.

Canard: an absurd story which one attempts to impose on his readers: a false rumor set afloat by way of news.

What is your motive?

in todays sections the 2 stroke is king. the 2 stroke is quicker of the bottom, revs higher and cleaner and is simply all together a more user frindly machine. there are however rumours that the 4t offers more grip than the 2 stroke option. well this is just a rumour!!! trust me ive seen one last week in competetion and it had no advantage. i think the reason is people hear a four stroke and it does admitadly sound soft on the bottom end however there is no where near as much feal and if you shut the 4 strokes down on the bottom end they will have a good go at throwing you over the bars due to the engine breaking.

another reason why 2 strokes are gonna live forever is the cost factor already discussed. but one thing that hasnt been mentioned is that the first time honda had the little japaneise riding one at twin ring motegi (japan) they actually carried a laptop aroud with them to program the egnition to respond correctly in each section.

well ok not every rider needs ultimate performance like them boys but still if they have to use egnition programing equipment to make the four strokes as good as the 2 strokes then why not just stick with the 2 strokes.

why try and make the 4 strokes something that they arent, when we all have perfectly good 2 strokes in our sheds.

Matt, your are in the canard club too. You're just not as bright as JonH. The difference between the two of you is that your are just repeating some rubbish that you have been fed. JonH is lying through his teeth.

Instead of rushing to the forums to post tripe! some of you first need to read what the factory press releases have to say on the subjects.

All the official information can be read on TC and answers most of the questions people post.

This topic is are two strokes dead, this is the Sherco answer on the subject.

[Taken from Trials Central, sherco press release]

. The 2T bikes will still be available, due to market demand, while regulations still allow this situation. Moreover, the 2T 2005 Trial model lineup has been completely and thoroughly renovated and have passed the Euro2 official approval, the current 2T models are approved until the year 2008.

Also on the Mont 4 rt, in the press release about that bike it said testing was now complete and we should be in production late October.

A couple of weeks past the start of production date and all I am reading is where is it!! well in the real world I would think it will be put together by production workers in Spain many of which will have never seen a trial or give two ***** what a trials bike is, all they have to do is put part A onto part B and collect the pay check at the end of the week, one wrongly turned part and it's down tools and seiesta time.

I would think just getting the right order of putting what part when and the best way to do it would take a couple of weeks, yes the dealers may of got a little optimistic on delivery dates but in reality getting the bikes built quality checked and ready to ship all over the world would take a lot longer than importers and dealers would like, but thats life.

Over the next three years I think there will be a lot more choices of 2 stroke on the market than 4, so if you prefer 2 go buy one!! don't try and covince me what I should buy because a post without knowing the real person behind that post means nothing to me.