Ssdt The Next 100 Years

overthehill

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

as with everything theres pros and cons on both sides,as with the waterfront i dont think thats going to happen shortly(or the next 10 years). i never really thought about the transport point as i live outwith fort william so have to travel anyway and so does joe bloggs from japan ,canada etc....yes its works well where it is, but does it work that well for the club? the point betabill made about the move to anaird, the world of trials was struggling at that time and the ssdt was short on entries for a few years on the trot , fort william has a good thing going on here so if anybodys to make a little effort its FORT WILLIAM!!!!

Edited by rodmac

, fort william has a good thing going on here so if anybodys to make a little effort its FORT WILLIAM!!!!

I've said likewise for years...the town needs to do more to welcome the trial but remember they have responded, we have a parade, finishing stuff etc that's all fairly new remember.

Another thing to consider is the finances what does the town contribute, what would the Cattlemart/Ski range contribute lots of stuff to think about.

Does this new site have a Pub, with a big TV, and female attendants with girth, live action video, once I have seen the start via my daily stroll?

The rest sounds OK as long as there is the kickoff in town and the awards!

a SHUTTLE FOR SPECTATORS(drunk or not) seems the need! Looks to me like things are able ti shift about.

I know little, but if I were going to make that trip, I would not like to miss the town and the events within, :D

Sadly, the tone of the message at the top of this thread suggests to me that the decision is already made.

This "consulutation" is just an unsubtle PR excersise. I hope that I am wrong.

There is a link between this initiative and the arrival of the World Trials Championships in 2010. May I expand on this-

I feel that the SSDT in 2009 was a wonderful success and the organisers have been rightly praised for their handling of some unbelievable meteorological conditions.

They do, however, need to consider the wisdom of their decision to allow the 2010 World Round organisers to hijack the opening parade.

Spectators at the SSDT are thin on the ground these days.

What a bad idea idea it was, therefore, to allow an event to promote itself in front of the very people who may choose to attend that event next year instead of the SSDT.

The SSDT relies on an enormous amount of goodwill from the local residents, authorities and Police who tolerate motorcycle, which are barely road legal, to travel backwards and forwards virtually unchallenged for a week in order to access the wonderful terrain which all competitors enjoy.

That goodwill is based on one benefit to the town which is, quite simply, an influx of people spending money.

Moving the heart of the trial out of town can only diminish it's links with the community, and ultimately the goodwill which leads to the above-mentioned tolerance. It may also, unwittingly, lead to the event becoming off-road only (and, god forbid, on pre- something or other bikes).

Promoting the World Round was an error.

World Rounds are just indoor trials held outdoors, which have no relevance whatsoever (in riding terms) to 99% of trials riders. They merely have some shallow entertainment value which, in all probability, we would get bored of watching very quickly.

TThe SSDT is one of the last real motorcycle trials. It is held outdoors - and that includes mending the bikes.

It is, in principal, not broken. So don't mend it.

Sadly, the tone of the message at the top of this thread suggests to me that the decision is already made.

There is a link between this initiative and the arrival of the World Trials Championships in 2010. May I expand on this-

I feel that the SSDT in 2009 was a wonderful success and the organisers have been rightly praised for their handling of some unbelievable meteorological conditions.

They do, however, need to consider the wisdom of their decision to allow the 2010 World Round organisers to hijack the opening parade.

What a bad idea idea it was, therefore, to allow an event to promote itself in front of the very people who may choose to attend that event next year instead of the SSDT.

The SSDT relies on an enormous amount of goodwill from the local residents, authorities and Police who tolerate motorcycle, which are barely road legal, to travel backwards and forwards virtually unchallenged for a week in order to access the wonderful terrain which all competitors enjoy.

That goodwill is based on one benefit to the town which is, quite simply, an influx of people spending money.

Moving the heart of the trial out of town can only diminish it's links with the community, and ultimately the goodwill which leads to the above-mentioned tolerance. It may also, unwittingly, lead to the event becoming off-road only (and, god forbid, on pre- something or other bikes).

World Rounds are just indoor trials held outdoors, which have no relevance whatsoever (in riding terms) to 99% of trials riders. They merely have some shallow entertainment value which, in all probability, we would get bored of watching very quickly.

TThe SSDT is one of the last real motorcycle trials. It is held outdoors - and that includes mending the bikes.

Slightly cynical analyse.

Pre something or other bikes - now thats a good idea.

Somewhat cynical indeed!! Rest assured no decisions have been made and if there is one thing that the SSDT committee are not renouned for, it's PR exercises! We're genuinely looking for feedback and comments, and the kind of thing that's coming through just now is exactly what we need. Keep them coming, the more feedback we have from those of you who actually attend the event, the more informed we are when it comes to making a decision.

I feel the SSDT would loose out if it was moved out of Fort William.

I have not seen a post from a past competitor as yet. Maybe the riders would prefere more space.

I know past competitors who have arranged bed & breakfasts within walking distance of the West End Car Park making life easier after a hard days trialing.

Looking on Google there does not seem to be much in the way of accomodation close to the proposed sight.

Would the riders travel to Fort William for the parade if the weather did happen to be damp as can often happen.

6 Miles each way with fancy dress could be a bit tricky.

270/280 riders seems to be the max that can complete the route per day so the riders side should not get any bigger so its only down to spectators parking and Trade Stands and of course the weather.

HMMM....Axes to grind???

Promoting the World round when the maximum focus was on the location was the perfect thing to do. Remember Wisardofos we are a small but very very captive audience, G2F took the maximum from it they could and I do not believe for one minute the SSDT or the committee lost out. On the contrary the SSDT might benefit immeasurably from the WTC/TDN at Aonach Mor.

My old man comes from Fort William and until about 15 years ago an old uncle was on the town council. Around that time they wanted the six days to move away from the West End because of the impact on the tourists rather than the concern over the money spinner that the SSDT is. I believe through various sources these issues raise themselves from time to time. I've commented about about growth and whether the trial has outgrown the middle of town, but I'm still in two minds about this.

Jamie.........that will be the same waterfront development they talked about when they moved the railway station in the 70's...all that materialised as the oyster bar.

I've a lot of connections and affection for Fort William, unfortunately I am the first generation of our family not to be born there, I've a deeper love and affection for the Scottish and I'll come back to my initial comment the SSDT committee have to do what they see necessary for the permanant survival of the Greatest Motorcycle Trial there is. I'd hate to see the town suffer but the trial is more important

After reading and further thought....

The SSDT has a double gloss of both being the worlds best trial in a wonderful town. Taking it out of the town will diminish one of the strong draw cards for international travelers (or anyone actually). I was attracted to FW to do the SSDT 20yrs back and am tempted to enter again in the coming years, but not if you move it out of town. Sorry but it will be a pain in the a*** even though the proposed location is only 6 miles away.

Have you considered anywhere else in town or a temporary structure?

Somewhat cynical indeed!! Rest assured no decisions have been made and if there is one thing that the SSDT committee are not renouned for, it's PR exercises! We're genuinely looking for feedback and comments, and the kind of thing that's coming through just now is exactly what we need. Keep them coming, the more feedback we have from those of you who actually attend the event, the more informed we are when it comes to making a decision.

Glad you are listening Mairi and that the move is not a done deal.

It's easy to discredit my comments by suggesting they are cynical when, perhaps, they are just a little too near to the mark?

Someone somewhere said that they had not heard from a competitor yet. I have ridden the trial 13 times - does that count?

I have also observed the same number of times and if Colin chooses to allocate our team to Garage Duty I would far rather be looking across the splendour of Loch Linnhe than spending the day in a shed (even if I was going to get wet occasionally).

I stand by my comments re: the World Round. I have no axe to grind at all and wish good luck to the organisers, PROVIDING the event has no negative impact on the next 100 SSDT's.

HMMM....Axes to grind???

Promoting the World round when the maximum focus was on the location was the perfect thing to do. Remember Wisardofos we are a small but very very captive audience, G2F took the maximum from it they could and I do not believe for one minute the SSDT or the committee lost out. On the contrary the SSDT might benefit immeasurably from the WTC/TDN at Aonach Mor.

ps:

How on earth can the SSDT benefit immeasurably from the promotion of the World round in Fort William?

As previously said apart from the Hotels and Bed & breakfasts in close vacinity of the West End car park I think more than half the people get a lift to the Park Ferme anyway. Nice if you are staying at the Cruachen or West End Hotel and look out your bedroom window to see if you can grab another 1/2 hour :D But for a majority staying at the Ben Nevis Hotel, Glenn Nevis Camping, Corpach and many more places transport is necessary.

Parking has always been a nightmare at the West End, I am sure some riders would like their own vehicle in there to do some last minute fettling before handing in, yes you can be the other end of the town, but you miss the atmosphere. The factory support from all Manufatures has been excellent and long may it continue, but for some they still like to work out of their own vehicle this is not possible at the West End and may be possible at the new location.

I have been fairly closely invloved with the Army Refueling over the years, this year to make it easier they had 2 service lanes into Park Ferme, one for the bikes, and one for the Army. Yes it did work but logistically more room would be better I feel (I am sure Sandy Mack will have his views on this)

How does the town benefit? Parade could still be there (If the bikes can make it that far, seen some broke down on the parade!!) beyond Saturday and Sunday how many people use the shops? Resturaunts and the pubs doubt it would affect them as they would still be used during the week (some riders support the pubs well?) In my opinion the town won't suffer.

The views coming forward will be useful to the club, but we need to detach ourselves from ''What suits me?'', yes leave it where it is because I stay in the West End Hotel, but I am out at Corpach so lets move it?? All valid points, I am sure the club come the time will make the right decission for the competitors, the spectators, the organisers, the refuelers, the community, but most of all the future success of the SSDT.

Real mixture of pros and cons to the whole thing and glad it is not a done deal, but quite a few people now realising that the 6 mile trek may be a step too far i have spectated, ridden and observed but i must say if it was at the auction mart and i wasnt involved in some way i would not go up there. Yes it is far better to look out over Loch Linnhe than be in a big barn especially if the weather is good. It is embarrasing as a local how little the Highland councillors we vote for do for the trial but rest assured they will all be in the council chambers for the free drink and food that is on offer. I think Jamie was spot on about the reasons for stopping in at the car parks especially the young people who are the next generation of SSDT riders, 6 miles out of town they will not be there as they will have to rely on parents to provide lifts ect. The magic about the scottish in town was rushing home after school and then head in to the car park to see what was happening. I hope in 10 years time my kids will still go to the West End car park or somewhere in centre in town where ever that may be and be able to look at the bikes and the stalls, and not to a large club trial situated 6 miles out of town which will only ever see the riders and a few friends.