Ssdt The Next 100 Years

overthehill

Strongly disagree.

I think that the decision makers in Fort William feel some kind of duty to maintain the long tradition of the Scottish Six Days Trial at the moment, even though revenues generated for the town are obviously lower than in the past.

In my view, a move out of town is, potentially, the first step out of the back door for the event. No longer in the forefront of the town's thoughts, how long would it be before the Police became less tolerant of the road traffic issues, how long before the trial had to route around the town and not through it, how long before Town Hall Brae is lost?

Before anyone scoffs about Town Hall Brae, take note of the trouble that the Isle of Man Government has taken to maintain the Governers Bridge section of the TT course, even though it is not part of the public roads any more. Throw some traditions out of the window at your peril - but you may be throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

Its only started and finished in Fort Bill for approx 30 of its 100 years !

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its only started and finished in Fort Bill for approx 30 of its 100 years !

Actually, the beginning of the "start and finish" at Fort William was the 1977 trial (due to the Gathering of the Clans in Edinburgh that year), prior to that only time was 1966 for one year only, to my knowledge.

I haven't given my thoughts on where I think the centre of the trial should be located, not yet...

Big John

• 2 weeks later...

• 1 month later...

Has there been a decision made as to the base for the SSDT yet?

No decision as yet, although there is a lot of background work going on within the committee. We've had site visits and discussions with various bodies around Fort William, and hope to make a decision quite soon. The planning for each SSDT starts in September each year, so we can't afford to leave any decisions too late, but there is an awful lot to consider so we don't want to rush it either.

As soon as a decision is made, the details will be made public on the SSDT site, here on TC and in general press releases, so don't worry, you'll hear about it straight away!

I would say leave it where it is, it really is the heart of the SSDT. I would say maybe try and sort out the space a little bit better. Even ask the council if you get the car park across from the Nevis centre as an over flow. The BSW saw mill has take over the area where the pulp mill use to be and has a huge space, don

Actually, the beginning of the "start and finish" at Fort William was the 1977 trial (due to the Gathering of the Clans in Edinburgh that year), prior to that only time was 1966 for one year only, to my knowledge.

I haven't given my thoughts on where I think the centre of the trial should be located, not yet...

Big John

When do we hear the thoughts of Professor Moffat then?

I would say leave it where it is, it really is the heart of the SSDT. I would say maybe try and sort out the space a little bit better. Even ask the council if you get the car park across from the Nevis centre as an over flow. The BSW saw mill has take over the area where the pulp mill use to be and has a huge space, don

Having spectated a couple of times in the late 70's, it was always a great feeling to return to Fort William for the evening which seemed to be the centre or heart of the trial. Having ridden the event in 1999, that same atmosphere was prominent in Fort William, what you could say was central to the soul of the event, part of the very essence of trials. It was also very helpful in being able to walk to and from the Parc Ferme from local accommodation. I think if you remove the trial base from Fort William, you chance to lose the soul of the Scottish. If there has to be a change to a larger Parc Ferme, is there not anything else that can be used but still within walking distance of the town centre? I say, keep the trial based where it is, it is very likely the best trial in the World, and in my mind it should be a dream for every young trials rider to ride at least once in their lives.

Bye, PeterB.