Buying Off E-bay

jam

Has anyone ever got p----d --f trying to bid/buy/ask questions regarding a possible purchase from e-bay??

I have tried it twice now with no luck, infact the seller told me a pack of lies, re-entered the item back on e-bay after agreeing a buy it now price,not keeping in touch etc.

What more can I say ................do they want to sell or think they can get

You've clearly been bitten!

I think Ebay has to be viewed the same way as any other secondhand sale forum; the advert is a commercial come-on; from there you have to satisfy yourself that the buyer is the sort of person you want to deal with and the goods are what you want to buy. Myself, if I get doubts I simply leave it.

Just be careful and ask questions that establish the seller's provenance. Once you're happy, try and go and deal face to face. It's worked for me on many things!

Graham

Ditto,

When it comes to bikes on E-Bay, I just treat it as a classified advert and ring the seller to sound him out then arrange a viewing to do the deal in person.

That way I have never had any problems, but when I've tried to do business on-line-auction style, just sitting there bidding on a photograph.....well, lets just say I deserved everything I got.

jam, you should report your experiences to E-Bay, I have done in the past and got a few charlatans suspended (E-bay shop..that really hurt him) or removed from E-bay altogether.

Don't take it lying down, 'get into them and f*** them up'.

I've sold and bought many hundreds of items off ebay with no problems, however there is always one that turns sour, that doesn't meant it's not worth doing the others.

As mentioned above, treat the sale just like a regular ad. On large items, always but always go and have a look prior to bidding. You wouldn't buy a bike from a newpaper just on the strength of the advert.

Ebay has certainly got worse for sellers now that buyers can't be given a neg. Now there's nothing stopping a bidder from messing you around and still giving you bad feedback, this was what happened to my one 'bad' experience. The guy didn't even come and have a look at the bike he'd bid on and won before giving me a neg!

Try to be patient when contacting sellers, I've come home after a weekend trials riding to be faced with 50+ questions about a sale, it takes time to answer everyone properly.

That said, as also mentioned above, any doubts at all and you should forget it and move on.

Pete

As far as I'm concerened Ebay is no worse than any other way of buying or selling second hand stuff, and due to its reach it's often better. There's plenty of scope to get burnt, but a little common sense goes a long way - I've bought and sold cars and bikes on Ebay, some of them unseen, with no problems at all.

Since they changed the feedback rules for buyers, when I am selling I would now prefer to end the auction early with a committed buyer rather than run the risk of a dreamer or idiot making the highest bid.

Since they changed the feedback rules for buyers, when I am selling I would now prefer to end the auction early with a committed buyer rather than run the risk of a dreamer or idiot making the highest bid.

Yes, that's a good idea, I had a dreamer back out of buying some agricultural land, luckily the next highest bidder had been to have a look and snapped it up, I might have well sold it to him in the first place.

In this case, using Ebay was fabulous, it cost me

e-bay is bull****!****en joke!

Obviously different people have different thoughts on ebay.

I just use it as a tool, sometimes I'm a little disapointed when it doesn't work perfectly, but overall I'm more than happy.

I've genuinely been more than pleased with both sales and purchases, but then I'm accurate in my description and sceptical about others!

Just remember you dont have to buy the item if it is not as described

On a bike or part that is so cheap it must be worth the money just get it sent,

But i would never recomend spending top cash on description alone ,Always go and get it in person and remember you can still walk away

If buying an expensive item like a bike I always speak to the seller and ask very specific questions, this gives you a good idea of whether they really know what they are selling and whether the e-bay description is a bit economical with the truth. If in doubt ask them to e-mail close up pictures, and when at all possible go and have look prior to bidding. Usually a pocket full of cash seals the deal without having to bid and you often get a better price.

When selling I always include lots of supersize pictures and make a genuine effort to be helpful. I always work on the premise that the prospective buyer will turn up and have a look at the items i'm selling so theres no point making something sound better than it really is. I am also wary of people with bad feedback and would rather lose a sale than have all the hassle of non payers etc.

Just treat it like an ad in the paper and be prepared for the odd rip off merchant and time waster.

thats beautiful pete,and i am touched but i still feel that bidding on e-bay is a ****en joke.i bid for an USED 86 tlr 200 kickstart lever bid it at fifty the guy selling probably called a buddy and said bid higher,part sold for 120 f-en dollars found a brand new one for 75!!!!brand new!i can go on and on

Fake bids are definately the scourge of ebay. I have seen so much crap get relisted after their mates obviously over bidded it.

I try to get the auction ended early for a price I'm happy with or I make sure I know my max price and if it goes silly then just walk away.

Still think ebay is a good tool to have in the box as long as you're aware of the pitfalls.