Got A Bit Of A Leak.

shercoman2k8

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And the trouble continues... Gutted!

After ordering Sherco part number M127, Viton seals for the smaller 125 engine... I go to fit them, and they appear slightly too large. Okay, fit the one, they appear a good fit.. but dont sit flush with the casing. So I go and check my invoice... The part numbers different, and after reffering to my parts book, I find Im now in possession of two viton seals for a 250. Anybody want them? Both still spotless. They'll fit the 250 and 290. No deformed area's or anything on them, drop me a message.

So, I'll wait another few days for my seals to come... Then maybe, just maybe we can get on and get this thing sorted!

And the trouble continues... Gutted!

After ordering Sherco part number M127, Viton seals for the smaller 125 engine... I go to fit them, and they appear slightly too large. Okay, fit the one, they appear a good fit.. but dont sit flush with the casing. So I go and check my invoice... The part numbers different, and after reffering to my parts book, I find Im now in possession of two viton seals for a 250. Anybody want them? Both still spotless. They'll fit the 250 and 290. No deformed area's or anything on them, drop me a message.

So, I'll wait another few days for my seals to come... Then maybe, just maybe we can get on and get this thing sorted!

Once again I am unsure exactly what you have done?

The seals listed for the 125 are M219, size 25-35-7

The ones for the 2.5 and 2.9 are M032, size 25-40-7, a 5mm difference in OD if the numbers are correct. You Cannot install one, yet I suppose if one did try to pound the thing into the 5mm smaller hole it would indeed still protrude just about 7mm outside the case!

Just send them back id they are not damaged, although I am not sure if you beat the one to fit or not!

I think Neo knows if these listed dimentions are correct or not. Hell, at the rate these things are going, I may well need some soon myself. :lol:

Once again I am unsure exactly what you have done?

The seals listed for the 125 are M219, size 25-35-7

The ones for the 2.5 and 2.9 are M032, size 25-40-7, a 5mm difference in OD if the numbers are correct. You Cannot install one, yet I suppose if one did try to pound the thing into the 5mm smaller hole it would indeed still protrude just about 7mm outside the case!

Just send them back id they are not damaged, although I am not sure if you beat the one to fit or not!

I think Neo knows if these listed dimentions are correct or not. Hell, at the rate these things are going, I may well need some soon myself. :lol:

The outer diameter is slightly larger, They were not pounded in, there appears to be a small recess, then a deeper, smaller one behind.. I didnt force it right in, hence why its still protuding.. Whipped it out, it appears fine, going to phone splatshop tommorow to see if they'll accept them. Although new ones have been ordered from Chris himself. Going to give myself a bloody good slap, some decent sleep, and then try again...

That second recess you're talking about is to make sure the seal is away from the bearing.

How did you end up going about removing the crank gear?

Hmm.. Anyways, new seals on the way. Dispatched yesterday.

Haven't removed the gear yet, but i've got a flywheel puller that does fit behind it, just... may file it down a tad more, but im leaving the gear on until im ready to do the seal on this side.

That second recess you're talking about is to make sure the seal is away from the bearing.

How did you end up going about removing the crank gear?

No, if you look back through the pics of Hams vs 2K8, there is a definite difference in the finish machining of the cases, and also the slight inset to which he is referring, and found his stopping point "i hope" .

No they will not go into that hole, hopefully you can exchange them with out difficulty, not sure where the mix up in the part numbers came from, but the seals should be fine I think.

If not, I will consider a PX for something for him.

Bloody postal strikes, halted progress now I guess... Was hoping to get her sorted this weekend.

There seems to be a big bit, then a bit the seal sits in, and a bit beyond that? I stopped the bigger seals before evn touching anything too small, didnt get squeezed or hammered in so they're good... For

Removed the right hand side seal, and out with it came a load of gearbox oil, seal was definately worn! Popped out with no effort atall, and dispite scotlands posties being on strike today, the new seals and gasket still came, so there both in, just gonna tighten everything up, get the clutch back together, wham the side casing on, top up oil and coolant and test! Considering the oil came out with the seal, I think it must of been that, well I hope.

Heres to success! :lol:

Cheers guys, and a happy halloweeen to you all!

Had a quick read through these past few posts, Cope... The bike only seems to do it after the fans cycled in and out a few times, so she's definately warmed up, and it's too long for it to just be the expansion during warm up.

I held the breather pipe vertical for a minute or so, and kept the engine at a high idle... This pipe is about bar height and the oil still managed to work it's way to the top. Blocked off the breather for todays trial then we shall be doing the seals straight after. If this does not cure the issue, im guessing I should change the centre case gasket, yes?

I'm guessing that it's almost definately a leak from the crank case, the higher the revs, the faster, and with more pressure the flow. The lower, no flow atall. I have no noticeable loss of compression atall.

I use either proper motorcycle oil, or atf occasionaly... IIRC it's 15w40 ATF at the moment, but not cheap stuff. Around

Had a quick read through these past few posts, Cope... The bike only seems to do it after the fans cycled in and out a few times, so she's definately warmed up, and it's too long for it to just be the expansion during warm up.

I held the breather pipe vertical for a minute or so, and kept the engine at a high idle... This pipe is about bar height and the oil still managed to work it's way to the top. Blocked off the breather for todays trial then we shall be doing the seals straight after. If this does not cure the issue, im guessing I should change the centre case gasket, yes?

I'm guessing that it's almost definately a leak from the crank case, the higher the revs, the faster, and with more pressure the flow. The lower, no flow atall. I have no noticeable loss of compression atall.

I use either proper motorcycle oil, or atf occasionaly... IIRC it's 15w40 ATF at the moment, but not cheap stuff. Around

Shercoman, give yourself some more credit, sounds like you hit the nail right on the head when you mentioned funny idle, hi lo, it sounds like vacuum leak drawing your oil, I think your on the right track when you mentioned crank seals and case gaskets, that's just from a mechanics point of view. Good luck

Thanks there, although I must say, alot of this was down to Mark and Tony... I had a rough idea with the hi-lo thing, and both seals that came out were pretty worn, but they've helped me through the stages of diagnosing the problem, testing to make sure and then repairing the problem, thanks for the stuff you chipped in with too Ham and Neo!

Edited by shercoman2k8