Got A Bit Of A Leak.

shercoman2k8

Thanks there, although I must say, alot of this was down to Mark and Tony... I had a rough idea with the hi-lo thing, and both seals that came out were pretty worn, but they've helped me through the stages of diagnosing the problem, testing to make sure and then repairing the problem, thanks for the stuff you chipped in with too Ham and Neo!

Yes, he does seem a good-un! If he werent so damn dense he might have read the other posts!

Ok, let me just politely inqiure, JAMIE, DO YOU WANT TO SEND ME THEM OTHER SEALS YOU GOT AND I WILL SEND YOU SOMETHING IN EXCHANGE!

Would you like some Tygon fuel hose, along with maybe some other bits? :lol:

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, he does seem a good-un! If he werent so damn dense he might have read the other posts!

Ok, let me just politely inqiure, JAMIE, DO YOU WANT TO SEND ME THEM OTHER SEALS YOU GOT AND I WILL SEND YOU SOMETHING IN EXCHANGE!

Would you like some Tygon fuel hose, along with maybe some other bits? :lol:

Oooh, hadn't even seen that, sorry Cope... Maybe I am a bit dense, and that being an understatement. I'll drop you a Pm now!

Shocks Cope....

Ya beat me too it!!!....I was hoping to get hold them seals and make a new set of earring for the wife!!....god knows her ears could do with a good sealing :lol:

Best of balance.

Neo

Thanks to Jamie for a PM reply, and I will get back to you.

Getting back to the primary point of this thread being leaky seals, and the black ones in particular, I am not totally sure about all this , but it does seem the black nitrile seals may have been used on many or mots the later model bikes with the sealed bearings installed.

Putting two and two together here suggests that the placement of the sealed bearings in front of the nitrile seals may indeed not provide total immunity to the effects of the alcohol induced fuels upon the seals. At least that that is my current theory!

All that said, and the fact that I have been running the Oko 24 on a test bed for the 2.9 of late, I will tell you that with the Oko, I have noticed some wierd and unexplained fluxuations and hunting at times. (Getting back to Neo's deal) But for the most part, it seems to run loverly?

Being the only weekend it has not rained that recall of late, I took the bike out in the back for a bit of running on Sunday and it happened again, yet only briefly, so while the bike was still up to temps, I decided to do the water test with it, yet no bubbles.

I know this sounds silly, yet yanking the vent tube out of normal position for the water test, I cleaned it well and just decided to apply slight variations in pressure to the tube by mouth, just to see what happened, as the crankcase is a small volume area and one would think would build and hold small changes in vacume or presure with little signifigange as on filled the volume(sort of like blowing up a baloon with a straw).

To my surprise, if i puffed into the tube, only slightly, it would puff back, filling my jowels with a fuel tasting vapor, slight, but there!

More pressure and it stopped, induce a vacume and it would hold. Bubbles only incurred slightly after the blow and release! Would not expect this to happen.

Now say what you like, but I have used that method to inspect vacume ck valves and such for proper operation for years, noting proper operation, yet I have never had a motor puff back at me under slight pressure! All that just tells me that mine are marginal, and could possibly be picked up by the OKO as well.

I may be the first to admit to such crude methods of detction, yet within all this, it may well yet work! It is very sensitive! And maybe others that care to run the test can comment, yet I think I may just install Jamie's seals and re test.

I am not too humble to try , so no smartass jokes here or you can go blow yourself!

MC

copemech Posted Yesterday, 10:33 PM

QUOTE (ZIPPY @ Nov 3 2009, 09:53 AM) *

That is probably the main reason I have an air compressor!!!!

Dammit Zipper, how many times do I have to tell you!!!! BLOWJOB is just an expression!

I am trying to find a cheap industrial vacuum pump. :thumbup:

That Shop-vac just ain't cuttin it anymore!!! :thumbup:

Yes but I think you might be forgetting that Cope confirmed the part numbers as nitrile and that they are not suitable for use with alcohol.

Best of balance.

Neo

Hang on a minute, he said this "Could find no specific referance to the composition of the given number, but this does raise even more question!!!!!"

I was not able to cross the exact number on the manufacturers website, yet still presumed black for standard nitrile, as yet Clav's country codes for colors may yet refute that in cases, the combination of the alcohol induced fuels by the users may yet confirm the suspicions and that in itself tells the story.

The other thing that points directly to alcohol induced seal swelling is the fact that noone has ever mentioned any sighn of old age, heat, and hardening

on the seals removed, as they seem quite flexable and compliant! Maybe a bit too !!!! :thumbup:

Hang on a minute, he said this "Could find no specific reference to the composition of the given number, but this does raise even more question!!!!!"
....my error and apologies.

Hi Cope....confirmed. None of the seals that I've pulled out were brittle or cracked and it was difficult to spot any wear at all.

Best of balance.

Neo

Edited by Neo