Got A Bit Of A Leak.

shercoman2k8

I have an old keihin carb body here, no bowl bolt, and stripped threads... was given to me a few years back. May try a few modifications on it, to try and get it to fit, I reckon, with a little gentle persuasion, the float bowl ground down, using standard hex bolts, not allen for the top, Recessed into the cap and filing off an edge, filing the top carb on the cap, it may just fit, and not rub on anything. Having major fitment problems at the moment.

Keihin Manifold block and V-Force reads are on the christmas wishlist. What price am I looking for the V-force Reeds?

Neo - Gonna keep the tank i've got, although, I may have a set of those crappy graphics off you for some money! Need a new tank sticker for the 06 due to petrol spillage, I have these on her!

Maybe make a little toolbox decoration, all there really worth tbf!

Edited by shercoman2k8

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have an old keihin carb body here, no bowl bolt, and stripped threads... was given to me a few years back. May try a few modifications on it, to try and get it to fit, I reckon, with a little gentle persuasion, the float bowl ground down, using standard hex bolts, not allen for the top, Recessed into the cap and filing off an edge, filing the top carb on the cap, it may just fit, and not rub on anything. Having major fitment problems at the moment.

Keihin Manifold block and V-Force reads are on the christmas wishlist. What price am I looking for the V-force Reeds?

Neo - Gonna keep the tank i've got, although, I may have a set of those crappy graphics off you for some money! Need a new tank sticker for the 06 due to petrol spillage, I have these on her!

Maybe make a little toolbox decoration, all there really worth tbf!

Sounds as though you have really got yourself into the thick of it now!

Personally, I would be asking myself "Why is it Paxau did not think of this" !

After you have thought that out, you might find your answer. :icon_salut:

Sounds as though you have really got yourself into the thick of it now!

Personally, I would be asking myself "Why is it Paxau did not think of this" !

After you have thought that out, you might find your answer. :icon_salut:

Because he has the money to make the new parts, like keihin intake manifolds, reed blocks, case modifications and other such without having to bodge like us normal guys out here... I dont care whats said, the keihin made a huge improvement over the keihin, as did the ti pipe and v-force reeds I fitted to a mates bike for him.

Also for reliability and user friendlyness. Mr Audi, why, if its possible to get an extra 20hp with a remap, ecu upgrade, better turbo, cleaner flowing exhaust or whatever, why didnt he?

Why do fork legs come without protectors?

Edited by shercoman2k8

the keihin made a huge improvement over the keihin, as did the ti pipe

Do you mean "the keihin made a huge improvement over the Dellorto"?

I've never understood how a "ti pipe" could make any difference to the way a Trials bike runs....can someone please enlighten me here?

Best of balance.

Neo

I've never understood how a "ti pipe" could make any difference to the way a Trials bike runs....can someone please enlighten me here?

Best of balance.

Neo

Obvious really, the more you spend, the better it runs. I think !

I dont care whats said, the keihin made a huge improvement over the keihin, as did the ti pipe and v-force reeds I fitted to a mates bike for him.

hows your mates bike running with all the mods you fitted has he had any problems with his Sherco ?

Best of balance.

Neo

I did, your correct... Sorry about that.

hows your mates bike running with all the mods you fitted has he had any problems with his Sherco ?

Do I know you, your local, real name? :icon_salut:

It's running great, and a much better feel to it, he seems happy with it too...

To answer the question about the ti pipe, none really, weight and sound... Some say its slightly better at dispersing heat, but it's a trials bike!

But when you combine it with the smaller S3 insert, the difference made to the bottom end power was actually pretty astonishing... Nice snappy throttle response too, dont think there was any noticeable sacrifice to the higher end power either, so it's all good if you've got the money.

Edited by shercoman2k8

I've seen the V-force reed block on ebay for 150euro & my clubmate that fitted 1 to his 08 beta said they're available in the uk for 100 pounds

Don't bother trying to squeeze the keihin into the original as its larger diameter, turn it down to the same size as the dellorto. Have been told the keihin manifold is the same internal size as the standard 1 & only differs in where the carb fits in

I've seen the V-force reed block on ebay for 150euro & my clubmate that fitted 1 to his 08 beta said they're available in the uk for 100 pounds

Don't bother trying to squeeze the keihin into the original as its larger diameter, turn it down to the same size as the dellorto. Have been told the keihin manifold is the same internal size as the standard 1 & only differs in where the carb fits in

In fact, the keihin fits into the dellorto manifold rather well, yes its a small stretch but the main difference in manifolds are on the keihin, it sticks out further from the engine, as trying to fit the keihin onto a completely standard setup, the bowl rubs on the crankcase. On the 125 that is, on the 250/290 the intake port is raised slightly higher and protrudes further, meaning this isnt an issue on the bigger bikes.

May try to design something in school that will allow the carb to sit at a different angle, as I will have access to a cnc machine, many different materials and a lathe. Who knows what may happen?

With the oko I've fitted there was a manifold supplied that is 28mm the whole way through, Chris at splatshop said to me when I asked about getting a keihin manifold that it was only 26mm internally & wasn't really needed. Have a talk to him & he'll explain what to do

I keep forgetting your bike is a 125 & it uses different parts for the intake

My carb clears the cases quite nicely, would it not be cheaper to put a oko on than get all the bits that sound to be missing from your keihin?

With the oko I've fitted there was a manifold supplied that is 28mm the whole way through, Chris at splatshop said to me when I asked about getting a keihin manifold that it was only 26mm internally & wasn't really needed. Have a talk to him & he'll explain what to do

I keep forgetting your bike is a 125 & it uses different parts for the intake

My carb clears the cases quite nicely, would it not be cheaper to put a oko on than get all the bits that sound to be missing from your keihin?

Maybe I didn't make it clear, I have a keihin on the bike, brand new... The other carb I was messing around with, the one with all the parts missing was a spare i had kicking around which came off a mates gas gas. To fit this carb properly, I either need the keihin manifold for the 125, which is 15 mm further spaced from the engine, or get the spacer block. I feel this though may take away some of the snappyness of the carb, and maybe even be a sacrifice of power. Strangely, up 'till a few weeks ago, I had the carb in and fitting perfectly, with no parts making contact, Just now though, I cant think for the life of me how that was.

On a Sherco the clutch compartment is completely sealed off from the gearbox compartment except for a small passage above the clutch drum. The transmission oil filler fills the clutch compartment initially, then on start-up the primary drive gear on the back of the clutch drum acts as an oil-slinger and throws the oil through into the gearbox via the small passage. In actual use there is very little oil in the primary drive case to lube the gears, I think this is to improve clutch response....but the gearbox breather breathes from the clutch compartment so when that's overfull initially from an oil change sometimes oil gets thrown out of the breather before it's all been thrown into the gearbox....from memory I think 315 Monts used something similar....it may just be finding its own level, mine used to.....hope this helps!

On a Sherco the clutch compartment is completely sealed off from the gearbox compartment except for a small passage above the clutch drum. The transmission oil filler fills the clutch compartment initially, then on start-up the primary drive gear on the back of the clutch drum acts as an oil-slinger and throws the oil through into the gearbox via the small passage. In actual use there is very little oil in the primary drive case to lube the gears, I think this is to improve clutch response....but the gearbox breather breathes from the clutch compartment so when that's overfull initially from an oil change sometimes oil gets thrown out of the breather before it's all been thrown into the gearbox....from memory I think 315 Monts used something similar....it may just be finding its own level, mine used to.....hope this helps!

Read through, problem solved. Thanks anyway.

Was indeed the seals, they had the same part number as posted on the last page or two and also were hard as rock. Put one in the vice, tightened her up and instead of flexing, it shattered. Brilliant seal that would of been :chairfall:

• 2 weeks later...

Bikes sorted! Thanks for all the help guys!

Would be good if you could summarize....

1. The symptoms of your fault

2. The cause(s) of the problem

3. What did you learn or uncover along the way.

Best of balance.

Neo