175 Scorpa To Buy Or Not To Buy

lastplacebrad

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Steve I ride a 2003 sy 250 this will be number three sy for me.I dont htink I will get much time on it untill the spring .Hopefully in tenn. at the nationals in april.We are pretty froze up around here with - 10 f. temp the other night.But I will post my input when I can.JR

I've gone the other way :wall:

I've just sold my 04 125 Scorpa for a SY250, 125 was great little bike, never mind what folks say about tubed tyres and second rate suspension........ mine was fine, just lacked in the power dept on some of the bigger stuff.

I would imagine a 200 cc bike would be the ideal mount (a full 200cc), if they was to make a 200 aircooled bike I'd be first in the line to buy.

Mark

Vinnie

So you prefered the 175 to the 125 then? as I'm in a dilemma as to which model, to ride mostly easy routes as I now ride on my TY175 and Tiger Cub. It would be nice to have something which there would be the lack of maintenance, as theres plenty do do on the older bikes!

So I have a choice of a 125 or the new 175? I would keep either model as I usually keep bikes for a good many years, and either would last me out for my riding career.

Vinnie So you got to ride the 175 in a real trial and gave it a true test.I have not ridden it yet.But like you I am in the 150 lbs range and A senior rider.I am confident it will do steps and boulders with no problem.I found riding my buddys 143 you just have to set up a bit early and give it the revs.Ilike the way it feels on the loop trail very smooth and light feeling in the air.JR

I have owned a 2002, 2003, and 2004 SY250 but decided to go with the SY175 for 2005. I spent the first few weeks riding it without any modifications, but just recently did a rejet on the carb (change from a 13.0 to a 17.5 pilot jet) and removed the four restrictors from the exhaust. The changes really brought the bike to life.

I wholeheartedly recommend the SY175, especially based upon your description of what you are looking for. Rock solid, simple, engine design with no radiator, hoses, water pump, thermostat or cooling fan to fail or maintain, and no premix or racing fuel to mess with.

The racing model has all the same trick components that the SY250 has, and the rear fender on the 2005 model is much more visually appealing than last year.

Go for the SY175, and I feel sure that you will enjoy it.

Edited by DGShannon

Do the SYF-175 have enough power to cope with rock gardens and 6+ feet steps? I'm bit worried about it... The yamaha motor on 125 model has 'only' 12hp... We don't have any of these 175 Scorpas yet in Finland so I haven't actually seen one.