Problem Thread: 1997 Gg Fortuna 270cc

skj0lsvik

Hey all,

I am seriously considering starting an own thread with all the problems I'm getting with this bike... Seems like it's no end! ;P

Well, I'm still on a 1997 GG Fortuna 270cc.

Today I drove down the store and up again two times, each way is approx 800m or something. One thing I noticed was that the bike would sort of skip or cough when riding on low rpm. It seems like it goes better on higher rpms... Serious skipping if you understand. It feels like it goes normally but then it stops and then it goes again, stop, go, stop,,, go...........

So on my last turn home I shifted down a gear and drove on quite high speed and rpm. One thing I noticed when stopping it at home was the smoke coming out of the exhaust! Big masses of grey/white smoke... Wouldn't stop either. Just continued for a lill'while :/

I'm thinking pistonrings, I KNOW they should've been changed for maybe 200-300 hours ago =P

Edited by skj0lsvik

Thats probably just excess oil in the exhaust system burning off. Repacking is reccomended for softer bottom end generally, however a good blast now and again does no harm. If it were a four stroke burning oil under load yes piston rings knackered would be indicated. It would have to a very tired (mechanically) two stroke for piston rings to affect it's running like you say. Basics first be absolutly certain carb is clean including the pilot jet (they sometimes get gumed up and need pricking through with e.g a tyne of a wire brush) and that you have good fuel.. no water in system. Pull the flywheel and clean it up inside (probably full of muck) fit new plug etc before sripping it down to pistons and oil seals etc.

Gday, clean the entire exhaust. If you remove the front pipe from the engine you will most likely notice it has a buildup of black oily carbon in there. The entire system will be like this. Do this first before spending money on things that probably wont help it much. If it starts and runs OK the carb is clean, if it is missing at lower speeds it could either be some dirt in the pilot or a badly adjusted needle, if it is missing at higher RPM check the ignition system components. Worn Needle and Needle Jet can be an issue on a bike this old, and having the needle adjusted to the top clip will give a clue, but clean the pipe first then see how it runs.

Cheers,

Stork

I'm seriously impressed. When I saw the topic title I fully expected this topic to have been hi-jacked by the TC Perv brigade (you know who you are!) by now! :D

Just goes to show how classy the GasGas pervs......ah...er....people are.

It was difficult to resist the temptation, however.......

Jon

Hmm, thanks for so many good answers! I will def try to clean the exhaust then, especcially the first part after the sylinder. I talked recently with a local mechanic and he thought that maybe the engine seal which stops the cooling water coming thru. Don't know what it's called in english, sorry! :blink:

But then again, it hasn't used much or any water at all in my hands...

Gday, its unlikely to be a water seal. Crankshaft seals - especially the one in the gearbox side - could be a problem as mentioned above, but clean the exhaust first before worrying about those. It may well be OK and its cheaper to do the pipe!

Cheers,

Stork

• 1 month later...

Haven't done much lately due to several minus degrees the last few months...

But I've removed te first bit of the exhaust and cleaned it inside, it's quite nice now. No restrictions there at all... I thought I should open the rear silencer at the same time, but it seems like it's pop-nailed together. Would be smart to repack it perhaps?

Even though the exhaust is nice and open now the bike won't start at all, totally dead. Won't even go near starting, maybe try a new plug agaaaaaaaaaain?? Would someone reccomend me a great plug for this bike? And I am running a mixture of about 8% oil in the 95 gasoline, is that okey?

Cheers guys,

Sondre...! :rolleyes:

Thats probably just excess oil in the exhaust system burning off. Repacking is reccomended for softer bottom end generally, however a good blast now and again does no harm. If it were a four stroke burning oil under load yes piston rings knackered would be indicated. It would have to a very tired (mechanically) two stroke for piston rings to affect it's running like you say. Basics first be absolutly certain carb is clean including the pilot jet (they sometimes get gumed up and need pricking through with e.g a tyne of a wire brush) and that you have good fuel.. no water in system. Pull the flywheel and clean it up inside (probably full of muck) fit new plug etc before sripping it down to pistons and oil seals etc.

Bad idea, poking anything hard through a pilot jet will effect the size, soak it in thinners or something like that then blow through.

Don't forget to clean out the air filter, Suprised noone has mentioned this, Better still fit a new filter.

You didnt say wheather you have cleaned the carb or changed the fuel in the tank, if there is water in it , it could be frozen,!

TLTEL