Water In Your Tyres

neo

Hi All,

Got talking to a guy in pushbike shop today. He's an old Trials fan but never actually ridden himself.

He told me that in days gone by that Trial riders used to fill their tyres one third up with water? :blink::):blush: ...and that some riders progressed on to using another fluid that would not slosh around so much when they came to a stand still.

Can anyone confirm this myth and tell me what that other fluid was?.....I have no plans to do this myself but I am curious to know if it's true.

Best of sloshy balance!

Neo

Neo it certainly is true for pneumatic-tyred tractors. I know that because I helped my Dad add the water after changing a tyre on our tractor when I was a kid. There was even a special valve nozzle that was in two parts. The outer nozzle section screwed off so you could add the water from a garden hose, then you screwed the outer nozzle on and added the air through a standard schraeder valve.

It was useful for tractors because it lowered the C of G.

I don't think it would help a trials bike that has rear suspension, but may be of use on a rigid-rear-end trials bike.

Edited by feetupfun

If your planning to try this remember to add anti-freeze.

It just don't get that cold around here to necessitate such a thing :blink: .... but maybe the AntiCorrosive properties of Antifreeze would be good. :)

I change my tyres and build my own wheels and I do a lot of Anti corrosion protection to the rim, spokes and nipples when I do this....so I wouldn't dream of putting water in my tyres!!! :blush:

Best of balance.

Neo

Neo Posted Today, 04:10 AM

Can anyone confirm this myth and tell me what that other fluid was?

BEER!!!! :blink: Well it is trials and after water and sports drinks Beer is the most highly consumed beverage............oh who am I kidding it is THE most highly consumed beverage at a trial.