The Beta Clutch Fix

dan williams

By the way, just cleaned all the crud from between the pads on the fibre plates on my Evo

The result is a clutch that has substantially less drag

The clutch operation was OK but the bike would not shift, big improvement

Guys,

i have recently got an 08 Rev 3 250. There is lots I like about it, but i do have all the symptoms of 'Beta clutch drag'.

I am going to perform the clutch mod as detailed in this post, but I have a couple of points id like help with:-

The bike is one owner and i believe on its original clutch. I wasny told it had been replaced at point of sale.

There isnt any clutch slip etc at the moment, so is it worht me just buying a new set of friction plates and modding them straight from the box? That way they are clean and easy to work on in spare moments. Plus if its nice out, I can go and play in the quarry! If so, what brand of plates should i order? Are they all equal? Should i go direct to Beta UK, or are pattern/after market parts better in price or performance?

As I will have to open the clutch cover, is it just one gasket I need to order? And will it dry seal ok, or will i need sealant?

I know they may seem trivial questions, but with limited play time, id like to get everything I need and just not fall at a simple hurdle when i havnt got the correct parts. Prior Preparation and Planning Prevents P&*^ Poor Performance....i hope!

Also, my bike has Grimeca brake and clutch master cylinders, am i right in thinking that AJP type wont fit?

many thanks

Ian

• 4 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...

@0007: I use Motul Transoil Expert 10W40. But I only got the bike a year ago so I have no Idea what the previous owner had been using.

The Motul Oil reduced the clutch drag a lot. With the old unknown oil I was able to ride up some hills without even releasing the clutch, the Motul Oil made it a lot better.

But the bike would still jump a meter forward when shifting from neutral into first.

While working on the clutch I obviously changed the transmission oil and It still looked very god. But otherwise the Motul was only one year and 500km in my bike.

I'm thinking that some of what is between the fibers is glue but some or lots of it is buildup from wrong trans oil

Maybe some lubes have a low detergent level?

Seems strange that I have never seen this crud on fibre plates on Japanese bikes

Maybe the clutch runs pretty dry and because it doesn't spin very fast it doesn't clean itself?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Ive just done Dan's mod to my Beta Techno And i was amazed on how much glue build up that there was on the fibre plates. And while i was in there i changed the oil for rock oil lite gear oil and the results are great. I can now get neutral and no drag and no jumping when put into gear.

• Like 1

Got to tell you this mod works on GasGas and Fantic too . I twigged on after i bought a new clutch plate set for my old Fantic .Looks like the plates,certainly on European trials bikes ,that they could all come from the same manufacturer as the same adhesion method seems to be used . That's sheer speculation ,but the GasGas was dragging like hell until i carried out the mod and switched to semi-synthetic 5w 30. Bye bye problem .

Ted

Edited by shyted

• 1 month later...

Hi Ralph

Sidey here. I scraped the goo out from between the plates on my '12 300 Factory and it made little difference. Dunno why everyone is using files, a hacksaw blade worked fine for me. They cut well. But after I fitted the astonishing Sidey "red pipe" expansion chamber the clutch was easy to slip in 5th and 6th gear. I found that out at the Kaikoura 6 day trial, which everyone should have gone to because it was an ABSOLUTE RIPPER! Actually anyone who wants more power from an Evo 300 is a maniac, but I know how to get quite a bit now.

When will we see you at a trial again?

Jokerr: There's no international incident. Scotland is, after all, the host of the second best 6-day trial in the world! Gotta put you straight though: most Kiwis eat Weetbix for breakfast. Not Weet a Bix, but the real antipodean answer to porridge; Weetbix! I think Ralph must have had about 8 to do his clutch in 2 1/2 though.

• 2 months later...

I'm new to trials and am looking to find a good starter bike. Came across a 2001 (or maybe it's a 2002?) Beta 270. The fellow selling sent a short video showing him starting it on 2nd kick from cold after bike had been sitting since mid-June (this according to owner). However, as soon as he let out the clutch, engine stalled. Owner made the comment that "the clutch REALLY needs to warm up before it releases well. I will never like a Beta clutch, "they all do that"" ". I gather that the mods described in this "Beta Clutch Fix" Thread is exactly what this bike need, yes? So, is this Beta a good starter bike, even with the "sticky clutch"?

Here's a pic of the Beta and a link to the short video (hope I'm not overstepping the bounds here posting a link - ED can delete if I am). Cheers,

http://s1089.photobu...html?sort=3&o=0

post-18868-0-69564500-1377948907_thumb.jpg