Fork Angle.?

seth29

Well am new to all this forum stuff, so hear goes, I found a old Armstrong 320 frame in the garage the head stock has broken at some point and had been welded up (not a good job) so have decided to remove the lower tube and alter the angle of the forks to give a more modern riding style with better steering.

Not to sure if to copy the beta rev 3 angle or just bring in few degrees

also whot is the best way to weld the frame Thanks.

Edited by seth29

If you are changing the angle at the headstock you will probably be limited in how far you can reduce the rake by the wheel or guard hitting the frame or exhaust header when the forks are compressed.

If you are making big changes to the rake it might be a good idea to see what the trail will end up at before you get too carried away.

Edited by feetupfun

• 3 weeks later...

Recently tweaked a tlr 200 to 4rt angle - bike steered better but lost 20 mm on wheel base in the process which made front end lighter on climbs. Longer swing arm due to be fitted when time allows.

Therefore check both ends.

Fork yoke/triple clamp offset is also different on modern bikes which will probably effect ratio of angle, trail, Castor etc.

Check your maths Frist.

There is so much bull...t talked about fork angle and changing this and that. It wont make a hapeith of difference to 99 pct of people riding twinshock trials bikes however much they think it might........

Sorry to sound so hostile but it really is a load of crap... Practise parctise parctise.... that will make you ride better not a few degrees difference in the fork angle...

Or perhaps someone can convince me different...

There is so much bull...t talked about fork angle and changing this and that. It wont make a hapeith of difference to 99 pct of people riding twinshock trials bikes however much they think it might........

Sorry to sound so hostile but it really is a load of crap... Practise parctise parctise.... that will make you ride better not a few degrees difference in the fork angle...

Or perhaps someone can convince me different...

Well said Metisse

Regards

Sparks2

Something different is part of it but sensible sections, good old fashioned riding and having fun are the main attractions.

Its more fun if you ride well to so I will always try to maximize the bike set up what ever model or format.

Agree that a good rider on a std bike will always be better than a bad rider on a good bike however a good rider on a good bike has to be optimum

• 2 years later...

You could also try dropping yokes down the forks forks 15 - 20 mm has the same effect and costs nothing.

Interesting topic, was thinking of changing angles but cutting is a bit permanent.

Any ball park figures of how much this will change the wheel base and ground clearance ?

Thanks

Ross

depending of the way you cut and reweld, oyu can keep the same wheelbase as the original.

Guy

Hi Guy, wheelbase is slightly long if 51.5 is the magic number, so shortening it is not an issue.

Will try dropping the yokes out of interest.

I just did this to my ty175. On the ty175 the steering head angle is 28 degrees and the yokes or triple trees add another 3 degrees for a total of 31 degrees of rake. After cutting and rewelding the steering head and replacing the yokes and adding forks with a leading axel the total angle is 24 degrees. Now with this change and some others it handles more like a modern bike. I have seen guys putting way longer rear shocks on to change the fork angle but all this does is make the bike more unstable to ride.

Jack K