A Bit Of A Change For The Weekend Sir ?

daggs888

You will love it. Tips would be - Keep a mental note of what you will have left in the tank (fill if unsure), You will see the enduro bike cut through divets and ruts in the ground like there not there ..... You dont have anywere near as much travel in your shocks (approach with care). High gear most of the way slip the clutch and ease the power as you go through with the clutch. Keep over the back and try to float the front wheel over rough ground.

Bet you Win :lol: . Lots ot trials bike are coming in the top 5 at these hare and hound events ! .... chap came 3rd at the foxwell last year on a sherco with some foam taped to his seat !

Have a great day and Good luck, let us know how you get on :D

Well then, done a 3hr hare and hounds on my scorpa at Broxhead common last sunday and managed to finish 3rd in class, but jebus did I feel every minute of that 3hrs, especially because it was my first time on the bike since the lakes 2 day in oct!!! :o:D

Thanks for the tips, exactly how you need to ride a trials bike in an enduro :o:D but it did take me a few laps to work that out!

Notes for others attempting a 3hr hare and hounds on a trials bike:

-get a decent pair of gloves, I have lost about a quarter of the skin on my left hand (I was wearing trials gloves)

-your lower back will feel as if it is going to explode about 2 hrs in

-all the effort you put in to get passed the bloke in front will be wasted as you have just used more fuel and now you need to stop and fill up and watch him go back past

-if one of the enduro geeks go flying past, don't try and get back past as he will be an expert who wins the whole event and you will be knackered

-if you can, get a seat!!!!!!

But as I was doing it for a bit of a laugh and training for bigger events it was good fun, might have a go at another next month :wall:

Edited by thespikeyone

Make sure, if you can, then that you go down to Bluehills at St Agnes. It's one of the most spectacular places to have a trials section and Bluehills 2 will either scare you witless or inspire you to have a go.

The MCC trial with the least mileage is the Edinburgh and in my opinion is a good one to start with, although it can be rough and some of the hills can be tough.

If you need any help now or in the future pm me. I've done the MCC trials quite a few times in various cars and did the Edinburgh on a bike in 2006.

Well then, done a 3hr hare and hounds on my scorpa at Broxhead common last sunday and managed to finish 3rd in class, but jebus did I feel every minute of that 3hrs, especially because it was my first time on the bike since the lakes 2 day in oct!!! :lol::D

Thanks for the tips, exactly how you need to ride a trials bike in an enduro :o:D but it did take me a few laps to work that out!

Notes for others attempting a 3hr hare and hounds on a trials bike:

-get a decent pair of gloves, I have lost about a quarter of the skin on my left hand (I was wearing trials gloves)

-your lower back will feel as if it is going to explode about 2 hrs in

-all the effort you put in to get passed the bloke in front will be wasted as you have just used more fuel and now you need to stop and fill up and watch him go back past

-if one of the enduro geeks go flying past, don't try and get back past as he will be an expert who wins the whole event and you will be knackered

-if you can, get a seat!!!!!!

But as I was doing it for a bit of a laugh and training for bigger events it was good fun, might have a go at another next month :wall:

All credit to you for trying it :D

An interesting thread. I have both a trials bike and trail bike, and like Pete says round my area the nearest decent group of trails is 30 miles away. A few years back I did sell both of them and buy a new 4rt with the intention of doing both on it, I got a spare back wheel and everything, but in the time I had the 4rt I didn't trail ride on it once. The practicality of using it in my area just wasn't going to work. I couldn't ride it up the a5 for 1/2 an hour to the nearest group of trails in Northamptonshire (we did a 275 mile loop to thetford one day which would have been murder on a trials bike). I didn't want to van it there as unloading at the side of the road attracts uneccesary attention, and I don't really want to leave the van by the side of the road. I guess up north it might be different but even when we ride up in the dales there is a lot of roadwork in between, but the main reason for switching back to one bike for each was the challenge. I haven't come across any lane (byway/ucr) that would be a challenge on a trials bike, and in the last couple of years I have ridden in Derbyshire, Yorkshire, Wales, Cotswolds, Herts, Northants,Essex, Suffolk and Norfolk. But I have come across plenty of lanes that have made me sweat and struggle on my old DR, which is what I love. We did one in wales where once we had dropped into the lane threading through television sized boulders there was no way we could get back up that way so we hoped the way forward was a bit easier. It wasn't the lane exited up a series of steps less than a bike lentgh apart that on a trails bike you wouldn't think twice about, well maybe I would have a couple of dabs! but on our bikes (dr350, drz400,xr400, ktm 525, wr250 400 Alp) a completely different matter we all had to take turns riding and help pull each one up. It was brilliant! Admittedly some of the group weren't to keen, but that's what I love about trail riding on a trail bike. Trying to ride it like a trials bike and getting it to go place that it shouldn't really be able to go up and over, and also falling off and laughing at myself and all my mates who are in the same boat. Just my personal view, but that's how I feel about it. So my advice is if you can afford to have both, have both.

Edited by Doogle

I had an Husaberg 400 then KTM250EXC then finally a KTM450EXC. I loved it when i went to Wales on me old Husaberg with me mates and we hooked up with some Londoners who had the lastest dearest best everything and talked none stop how good they were, also roosting me mates who did little riding. My time came when they announced that we the Yorkshire lot probably wouldnt make it up the next hills n ride.

I took my chances gladly using me trials skills whilst they spun up flipped fell off, with one burning a clutch out. I sat ot the top to admire the view some 20 minutes whilst they came up quiet as mouses.

That old Husaberg gave me more pleasure than me new KTM because it looked dated and that was the best challenge to make it compete with the new machines and beat them.

The Honda C70 was a great little bike for trying to get A to B green lane.