A Bit Of A Change For The Weekend Sir ?

daggs888

I've seen more and more trials bikes out on TRF rides ..... It's a lot more fun on a trials bike but you must be fully road legal and join join your local TRF (cheap).

Get out with the enduro boys on the green lanes and you'll find lots of nice 'sections' on the way. It's not ideal on the flat, you'll have to get her in top and give her some yahooo to keep up with the pack .............. but when you come to a (simple) climb you will see your enduro clad freinds looking for 'ways to go around' .... not to mention woods, streams and rocks

Just do it while you can cos yet again your government does not want this body to continue ... , you'll have a good day out and probally find new places to ride.

I've been riding enduro but moving back to trials and am getting a 4rt and will be going out with the TRF .. road legal on hand signals, daytime MOT etc.

Cheers :huh:

on a similar note I will be attempting my first enduro (hare and hounds) on my trials bike at the end of the month, should be a giggle :huh: . you got any tips???

You will love it. Tips would be - Keep a mental note of what you will have left in the tank (fill if unsure), You will see the enduro bike cut through divets and ruts in the ground like there not there ..... You dont have anywere near as much travel in your shocks (approach with care). High gear most of the way slip the clutch and ease the power as you go through with the clutch. Keep over the back and try to float the front wheel over rough ground.

Bet you Win :P . Lots ot trials bike are coming in the top 5 at these hare and hound events ! .... chap came 3rd at the foxwell last year on a sherco with some foam taped to his seat !

Have a great day and Good luck, let us know how you get on :huh:

Hi guys & gals? I used to do a lot of trail riding & went for 4 years running to the isle of man in april with the trf guys, about 25 to 30 of us & they still go every year & stop in duglas. Fantastic experience. My point is i started going on a Honda xr250 & struggled like hell. 2 yrs on & i bought myself a brand new Kawasaki KDX220 & suddenly i was a better rider & managed more hills than before. Every time we had managed to sometimes get to the top of a difficult climb like the WIDOWMAKER, i never made it & used to go round it. I would say look lads we are on the wrong bikes we should be using trials bikes, admitedly with a crosser rear tyre fitted but i,m sure thats the way to go. Anyway now i,ve bought one & maybe i will try the isle this year If the lady indoors will let me. I think she will because she keeps saying do what the f--- you want so i think i might. tee hee. Fantastic forum keep it up. Just ordered a long range tank & seat unit from beta so i can get the range. Keep this thread going & we might end up with a trials bike type enduro.

Trail riding around here on a trials bike would be torture I'm afraid, the green lanes that we can still use are now so far apart the road bits inbetween wold murder you and the bike. If the trail riding in your area is closer together then go for it, you'll have a blast. It's well worth gearing up though. Two up on the front would be a good start.

Pete

I packed trail riding in a few years ago, from all accounts the police are handing out ASBO's round this area like their going out of fashion. The "where to legally ride" question is still so grey at the moment i wont be bothering either. :huh:

I packed trail riding in a few years ago, from all accounts the police are handing out ASBO's round this area like their going out of fashion. The "where to legally ride" question is still so grey at the moment i wont be bothering either. :huh:

Fight them on the beaches ..fight them on the hills ..fight them in the valleys

QUOTE (paul w @ Jan 18 2010, 04:03 PM)

I packed trail riding in a few years ago, from all accounts the police are handing out ASBO's round this area like their going out of fashion. The "where to legally ride" question is still so grey at the moment i wont be bothering either.

Fight them on the beaches ..fight them on the hills ..fight them in the valleys

I tried that..........one of the Ramblers hit me with a ski pole.......it wasnt snowing......it was August........carrying an offensive weapon?

goodness, I was cross.

I tried that..........one of the Ramblers hit me with a ski pole.......it wasnt snowing......it was August........carrying an offensive weapon?

goodness, I was cross.

Yes I've had a similar experience on the Costwolds one Sunday morning, we were actually on a tarmac surfaced minor road between byways when a lone rambler decided that we should not be riding our bikes along the road and walked in the dead centre waving his ski pole round his head to stop us riding past.

I can't believe how intollerant of others some walkers are, people get stabbed for less than that, not to mention being plain stupid for antagonising a group of bikers miles from nowhere! :o

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with PeteScorpa, I have ridden my Sherco 250 to a couple of local trials on combination of green and black roads and it is v v hard work, not to mention range issues, carrying petrol etc, and the bike engine gets bloody hot on the road, whereas my KTM 530 eats the road work, and is still fun on the green stuff. in fact I ride from Cheltenham to Fish hill Broadway on green lanes (PeteScorpa should know I ride in his clubs trials at this venue) a few times and not too much road work if you plan it with your OS map.

Interestingly I ride on my own on green lanes (i know not recommended you will die etc, etc, etc) I don't wear MX gear, cords, wax jacket, trials helmet or waterproofs and wear a daypack on my back, all my mates call me enduro farmer, but I am polite always say hello, hold gates open etc you know what, lots of the ramblers assumme I am the local farmer and have never had any hassle, cause I don't look like I have just escaped from a MX track ....... Oh and I ride daytimes during the week, which helps a lot as all the horsey folks are busy mending their landys or on the school run whatever they do during the week.

So ride weekday daytimes, dress like a farmer and they will ignore the bright orange six days graphics (I think), even the gamekeeper who broadsided his landrover across the lane in front of me to stop me, ended up polite apologising and saying how much he liked my bike and would look into getting one (we were dressed the same (apart from trials helmet) which helped :rolleyes: Oh I didn't have a shotgun either :rolleyes: and I wasn't the one breaking the law by broadsiding my landy in front of a bike on the queens highway (which is what a green lane is)

Does anyone on here have any experience to share or advice to give on long distance trials?

I recently bought a Beta Alp 200 and fancy trying the Lands End - entries close next week...

Have a go at the Lands End its a great trial and something a bit different you will go through many emotions, I ride as passanger in a sidecar outfit which puts a different outlook on it from the usual solo one day trials I ride. There is a great atmosphere and camaraderie between riders and marshalls, really chomping the bit for this years event after missing last years events for various reasons and then this years Exeter trial being cancelled in January because of the weather.