Sherco 290 Fuel Leak

mudmaster

I have a 06 Sherco 290 Cabastany and Fuel is leaking from the bottom hole on the Carb. If the engine is ruunning no fuel comes out, but directly as the engine stops fuel just pours out. Have complete stripped card down and cleaned it all out with airline but still the same.

any ideas

I have a 06 Sherco 290 Cabastany and Fuel is leaking from the bottom hole on the Carb. If the engine is ruunning no fuel comes out, but directly as the engine stops fuel just pours out. Have complete stripped card down and cleaned it all out with airline but still the same.

any ideas

It sounds like fuel may be getting by the needle and seat, sometimes a scored needle can not be seen. I'd also check the float level.

While the bike is running it uses up fuel fast enough so as not to leak. Be sure you've checked the fuel line from the petcock on downward for any grit. Cheers

Edited by rockyrider

any ideas

The bottom tube on the bowl IS the bowl overflow btw, so for whichever reason it is overflowing. :rolleyes:

it doesn't take much of a grain of grit or blade of grass to stop the float needle sealing

one thing to check is wether the float is punctured, there will be some fuel sloshing inside them if they are

a way to check the float needle is working is blow down fuel pipe and slowly tip carb upside down (assuming you've drained all fuel out) you should not be able to blow through when it is upside down

my money's on a piece of grit or blade of grass on the float seat

let us know

Tony

When my son got his cabby we had this problem to the extent that it was going to get sold , IT DROVE ME MAD , I eventually found the problem .First of all , check the float height ( I can't put a link on because I don't know how to , but I'm sure somebody will ) then carefully put the float bowl upto the carb and if you look into the gap between carb and float bowl , you will see that the floats catch the overflow pipe , therefore stopping the floats from rising up to stop the fuel. I gently pushed the overflow pipe to the side to allow it to position itself between the floats . Everytime the floatbowl is removed the same thing needs to be done to the overflow pipe . It doesn't need to be moved much to work , so be gentle . It is a bit trial and error but I think that will be your problem.

Hope This Helps

Phil

• 1 month later...

Phil

Finally got round to checking the bike last night and you were right about that overflow pipe in the float bowl. Moved it and fuel no longer pours out. The bike however still runs rough and I thought it was fuel starvation so change the float hieght but still no good. Could you please give me that float hieght link and do you have any information on how to set up the mixture on the carb.

Thanks

mark

Hiya Mark,

OK now providing you have cleaned out the carb and its jets to remove any garbage that shouldn't be there ( preferably with an air line ) and its still got the original jets ( I believe should be 45 pilot jet and 122 main jet ) the factory setting for the air screw is 5/8 of a turn out . Now of course don't for get to check the overflow pipe again for catching because it will move back again to cause a problem when you take off the float bowl !!

Regards the float height , I got all the information I needed of the Kehein website . Be very slight with the floats it does make a lot of difference !!

Let me know how you get on , they are a cracking bike as well !!

Regards

Phil

any ideas

It will be that there is a small felt washer on the bolt which holds the float bowl on so i would imagine that this will be the problem because if its that fuel will leak, or if the bolts not tight