Converting A Mono To A Twin

neil king

Any mono is at least 20 to 30lbs lighter, has a one finger clutch standard, has primary kickstarting, electronic ignition, reed valve, brakes that work,my guess is they are significant advantages. The fun of twinshocks is restoring your bike and trying to improve the performance within the rules and believe me when you get involved with a bunch of friends playing with these bikes it is great fun. Converting a mono is plain and simple CHEATING

Edited by sherpa325

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As always well put Woody. Obviously somebody has seen a "Commercial Business opportunity" and is doing their very best to hoodwink potential buyers.

As i said in a previous post the so called financial reasons just do not stack up once examined properly.

Even on flea bay i have noticed quite a few useable twinshocks for well under

Edited by Old trials fanatic

As we're in the strong hold of a Brutal Recession now is a great time to go shopping for a decent Twinshock for well under a grand,if you haggle well then maybe you can pick one up closer to

Edited by bilc0

If people wish to spend the time and the money converting a mono to a twin shock then fair play to them, I've no objection to this at al.

However don't do it just to be more competitive in the twin shock class. Use it as a clubman or as a special but not as a twin shock.

Pete

As always well put Woody. Obviously somebody has seen a "Commercial Business opportunity" and is doing their very best to hoodwink potential buyers.

They don't seem to be going like hot cakes though, those TY monos have been advertised for months. I was at the trial where the photo was taken of the one bike last summer. They're not queuing up for them.

Somewhere else on the site was a cobbled Mont frame and a Fantic engine which was going to set the trials world alight, again that was way back. The Fantic 240 that Woody highlighted would cost less and if looked after would at least hold its value, if these "new twinshocks" ever come to light and clubs wake up and realise what they are how much are they worth then ?? Jack s**t.

A Fantic was sold on ebay recently, totally original and unmolested, never restored for 1200 I think, this is sensible money for a t/shock.

Edited by bo drinker

A Fantic was sold on ebay recently, totally original and unmolested, never restored for 1200 I think, this is sensible money for a t/shock.

I would prefer it to of been restored for that money,if electrics/suspension/motor need working on thats easy another

It was almost ready to use I think..

This could end up with 2 shocks on the back if bought for a song.. (Not by me)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FANTIC-305-Trials-Pr...7d#ht_500wt_975

7 bids and only just got over the 200 mark,There must be a future for these old monos surley.

I trying to decide if i should go on a buying spree of old monos and stash them for 10 or 15 years maybe then there be worth double of what i paid???

7 bids and only just got over the 200 mark,There must be a future for these old monos surley.

I trying to decide if i should go on a buying spree of old monos and stash them for 10 or 15 years maybe then there be worth double of what i paid???

Wanna buy a Beta TR34 :barf:

That bike is probably going to sell to somebody to get it's engine for transplant into a 240 or 300 pro.

On a serious note that was why we introduced an air cooled mono class but hardly anybody turns up. Last year if you ahd rode once you would probably have come 2nd or 3rd in the club championship. Wont happen this year as we have had to amend the criteria to you must have ridden in at least 5 events to count for championship points.

Shame really as we genuinely thought it was a way into trials at a reasonable cost on lets face it a potentially reliable bike with good spares availablility.

Oh well the best laid plans ..........

On a serious note that was why we introduced an air cooled mono class

To be fair your probaly abit ahead of the times there.

The AC Mono can't be at the classic status yet,ok maybe a few of the early models might just of gone over the threshold but thats about it.

This is why i think the monos are hanging around looking lost at the moment,they hav'nt quite reached there classic status.

But the day of the AC mono will come around again,does'nt everything???

Edited by bilc0

To be fair your probaly abit ahead of the times there.

The AC Mono can't be at the classic status yet,ok maybe a few of the early models might just of gone over the threshold but thats about it.

This is why i think the monos are hanging around looking lost at the moment,they hav'nt quite reached there classic status.

But the day of the AC mono will come around again,does'nt everything???

What constitutes "classic" status and who has the say so ??

I think you are right, the a/c monos are looking lost in some peoples/clubs eyes as they don't run a class, even though anyone can turn up and ride one at a modern trial of course.

Edited by bo drinker

What constitutes "classic" status and who has the say so ??

I think you are right, the a/c monos are looking lost in some peoples/clubs eyes as they don't run a class, even though anyone can turn up and ride one at a modern trial of course.

I've always perceived something of being 25 years old and onward's as classic status.

The guys wanting to put twinshocks on the monos to ride classic trials with are going the wrong way,the 80's/90's monos have everything the modern bikes have got,you would think people would be buying the monos and start shaving them down to make them as light as the modern bikes and then compete against modern bikes at modern trial,you would think that would be a whole lot more satisfying for the builders.Get hold of an old mono and you have a blank canvas.

I've always perceived something of being 25 years old and onward's as classic status.

The guys wanting to put twinshocks on the monos to ride classic trials with are going the wrong way,the 80's/90's monos have everything the modern bikes have got,you would think people would be buying the monos and start shaving them down to make them as light as the modern bikes and then compete against modern bikes at modern trial,you would think that would be a whole lot more satisfying for the builders.Get hold of an old mono and you have a blank canvas.

Can't agree with you there, presumably that's the conversation that was the starting point for the current 250cc Cubs.

These modified bikes very rarely "compete against modern bikes at a modern trial"

All that happens is that sections are made harder to take marks off these freak bikes, at the expense of less modified / more genuine machines.

One major point that everybody is missing here is the fact that the main reason why 99% of twinshocks cost a "few quid" to buy or restore

is the simple fact that they are all WORN OUT and 25-30 -35 years old!

Unless you are REALLY LUCKY and find yourself a nearly new /unused one for sale , then this usually won't be cheap either.

Basically whichever twinshock you buy - tatty or fully restored , either way you will eventually have to part with " a few quid"

Think about it!