Converting A Mono To A Twin

neil king

One major point that everybody is missing here is the fact that the main reason why 99% of twinshocks cost a "few quid" to buy or restore

is the simple fact that they are all WORN OUT and 25-30 -35 years old!

Unless you are REALLY LUCKY and find yourself a nearly new /unused one for sale , then this usually won't be cheap either.

Basically whichever twinshock you buy - tatty or fully restored , either way you will eventually have to part with " a few quid"

Think about it!

Very true as most of us know to our cost.

Then again Motor Sport isnt cheap at whatever level.

Strange thing is, well perhaps it's not strange i dont know, but now i am trying to make a crust selling stuff i find it's the Trials riders who are the tightest. It's funny how the motor crossers dont balk at spending money on the right parts and the Road Racers hardly ever ask the price but the Trials lads umm and ahhh over 50p

Fact of life sport isnt cheap and never was or will be and Motor Sport isnt even at the cheap end of something that isnt cheap.

Edited by Old trials fanatic

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very true as most of us know to our cost.

Then again Motor Sport isnt cheap at whatever level.

Trials riders try to stick to tradition as trials was always the cheapest of the 2 wheel sports, or could be if money was tight. Back in the day the bike you went to work on in the week you may trial on a Sunday(before my day) Motorcycling was cheap transport then, not any more really.

Obviously you can still buy a bike for 4 to 500 pounds and trial it but they are few and far between and nothing is getting any cheaper, the a/c monos day will come and the prices will rise.

Everything comes at a cost as always and when thats sorted we just get taxed to the hilt.....(have you noticed the price of fuel lately) It's a nightmare for people to get a full bike licence and those of us who have them they have been removing the privelige when you come to send in a change of address it seems. Rant over

presumably that's the conversation that was the starting point for the current 250cc Cubs.

Theres a bit of a diffrence from the cub to the mono bikes,,The cub already had a home the mono does'nt have a home.

Thinking about it,would a classic mono fit into classic trials where the entry is largely Pre65/TS i dont think so,when the mono finaly matures they would need there own Trials,classic mono's or something,in the mean time they would fit very nicely into modern club trials.

Theres a bit of a diffrence from the cub to the mono bikes,,The cub already had a home the mono does'nt have a home.

Thinking about it,would a classic mono fit into classic trials where the entry is largely Pre65/TS i dont think so,when the mono finaly matures they would need there own Trials,classic mono's or something,in the mean time they would fit very nicely into modern club trials.

But, once thay are modified to compete against current bikes, they will be much better than an unmodified machine.

And it all starts again.

But, once thay are modified to compete against current bikes, they will be much better than an unmodified machine.

And it all starts again.

I understand what you say,if your going to modify an older mono bike to be on par with a newer bike the modified bike should stay with the new bike,thats where they should be anyway,its in the same one shock family.

The older monos could become the most heavily modified Trial bike ever,you could super tune the engine to match the modern engines,suspension,hydualics,get some weight off.

Why take a forward bike backwards when you could take the bikes forward even more.

A builder that knows what there doing could make up a frame and use the running gear of the monts/yam/fantic/whatever.

• 7 months later...

It was a aircooled single. I could of swore he said Banshee. I know nothing about 4 wheelers.

Neil,

It's actually a Blaster 200 motor punched to 220cc with a stroked crank and a heavier flywheel. It is an amazingly sweet twin-shock bike.

The ITSA (www.twinshock.org) rules are similar to what Formula USA road racing used to be here in the States, run what you brung. The ITSA Modern Twin-shock rule is, two-shocks, air-cooled engine, drum brakes.

Pee Wee @ ITSA

• 1 month later...