Boots ? Alpinestar No-stop ?

fred1956

Hey to all, looking at buying my first pair of trilas specific boots. It appears from my reading that the most popular boots are the Gearne but I can buy Alpinestar No-Stop through my parts dealer here at the repair shop. I'm being tight maybe but a dollar is a dollar. Are the Gearne's worth the extra $$? Thanks in advance

Alpine Stars for me too,yes they do wear quite quickly,but i feel they have the best ankle support and protection,a big help when jumping backwards off your bike up a big step or taking a heavy unexpected dab :)

I bought a pair if the fancy Hebo boots,first time out twisted my ankle,more support in a pair of slippers,sold them instantly and bought another pair of Alpine Stars!!

Try as many boots on as you can in dealer,roll your foot onto the outside edge of the sole and try to purposely put pressure on your ankle and you will then appreciate how supportive the Alpines are.

Benz

I've only ever had one pair of Gearne (ride most days for the past 4 years) so I wouldn't really know. But I thought the name of the game was flexibility around the ankle for the constant knee bending stuff?...Isn't ridged ankle support what you get on MX boots?

Would be nice to know if Gearne have the same flexibility around the ankles as Hebo do?

Best of balance.

Neo

I've only ever had one pair of Gearne (ride most days for the past 4 years) so I wouldn't really know. But I thought the name of the game was flexibility around the ankle for the constant knee bending stuff?...Isn't ridged ankle support what you get on MX boots?

Would be nice to know if Gearne have the same flexibility around the ankles as Hebo do?

Best of balance.

Neo

There is plenty of forward and backward flex at the ankle with the Alpines,i was referring to the side flex to help prevent rolling of the ankle joint.

Benz

Alpine Stars for me too,yes they do wear quite quickly,but i feel they have the best ankle support and protection,a big help when jumping backwards off your bike up a big step or taking a heavy unexpected dab :rotfl:

I bought a pair if the fancy Hebo boots,first time out twisted my ankle,more support in a pair of slippers,sold them instantly and bought another pair of Alpine Stars!!

Try as many boots on as you can in dealer,roll your foot onto the outside edge of the sole and try to purposely put pressure on your ankle and you will then appreciate how supportive the Alpines are.

Benz

A better route would be strengthening the ankles, the more supported the ankle the greater the risk the force is translated to the knee. When ski boots became rigid plastic rather than soft boots knee injuries rocketed.

That said I loved the comfort of my old alpinestars just wasn't keen when after starting with them in late Jan I'd worn massive holes in the sides by SSDT time. Also found they spread quite a lot as well and I ended up having to wear 2 pairs of sock (either that or my feet shrank from all the water that leaked in the holes). Had Gaerne last year and they lasted the whole year, got a new pair for this year but the others will still be good for a spare pair. Sure it depends on riding style, I must grip the bike badly when moving about as my frame guards also take a battering. My mates Alipinestars have lasted him a few years, combination of less riding and less moving the bike about I guess.

I seem to remember Dibs & maybe Bou wearing a slightly different model a few years back (normal sole) and had hoped they'd bring them out with maybe a slightly tougher leather.

I think i might have changed my mind about not using alpinestars again!

Had i bit of a crushing moment with my footpeg and a very sharp overhanging rock step at the weekend with my foot jammed between!

Almost used my new gaernes for the trials and i am sure glad i didnt as the front of the boot above the toe area is very soft almost like a pair of shoes.

I am sure if i had of used them i'd have lost a couple of toes!!! luckly i had the stiff dumpy fronted alpines on and only ended up with a cut and broken big toe.

Still not the best outcome but way better than what could have happened.

Thanks for all the suggestions, information, and experiences. I've decided to go with Alpinestars at this point. Since they're my first pair, I'm choosing them mainly for the cost factor. I can get them for just over 1/2 of a pair of Garne because of my dealer 'staus'. As I've got to also replace my 10 pound open face street helmet with a lighter more suitable trials helmet I can use the extra $$ right now. I will post back with my opinions as they wear in (or out). LOL !! Thanks again to all.

Hi All

Only my 10p worth but i brought some garne trial boots in november of 2009 and replaced the with the alpine star boots in jan 2010...

The garne were for me very uncomfortable and the velcro top strap came apart... ( i have had garne mx boots and they were always ok..)

The alpine stars are very comfortable But do wear out on the sides quickly ( i have beta evo bike) and most of the wear is on the right boot !! This is from the boot rubbing on the guard that protects the rear brake piston just above the foot peg.

But even if the alpine stars do wear more quickly i would buy them every time over the garne.

Cheers.

Mobbster

Are alpinestars pretty good at sizes? I'm an 8 shoe size, so does that mean I get a 41 boot? I know some boots they are totally different to what your shoe size is. I need to know as I dont know anywhere local that sells them to try on

Are alpinestars pretty good at sizes? I'm an 8 shoe size, so does that mean I get a 41 boot? I know some boots they are totally different to what your shoe size is. I need to know as I dont know anywhere local that sells them to try on

My Alpinestars are very close in size, I wear an 11 ( a 45 ) and the left fits perfectly, the right is a little bigger but still fits good at this point very comfortable. I've been wearing them every evening after work to walk around, do yard work, etc. I even use them on my woods bike. Great feel and good fit so far