Kawasaki 4stroke

booma

Well its like this, the engine is from a 1978 KL250 trail bike and the rolling chassis is a 1973 Montesa cota 247, after fitting the engine in the frame I then had to make a new alloy petrol tank and airbox, stainless steel front pipe made from a selection of bends silencer is a bought item but modified to fit frame, its sounds excellent not hollow like the Honda tlr more like 4RT, the engine is using the original carb keeping things simple, I cut the fibreglass petrol tank out leaving me with an outercover which I have painted and had decals made then I flattened it all down then lacquered it,I made a new seat base then glued on some foam then glued on the vinyl cover, the frame is powder coated gloss black, the footrests are control type lowered and moved back the rear brake is now on the right side, and the swingarm has been modified for the chain to run down the lefthand side, the kickstart has been reworked to wrap around the engine case giving clearance when kick starting to miss the footrest, its been great fun doing this project and looking forward to riding it very soon

Edited by Booma

A nice piece of work - would I be right in guessing that you have grafted it into a cota 247 chassis? Have you made any mods to the KL engine? Bod Gollner made one in the seventies but only one so far as I know.

no mods to the engine other than lighten the clutch by extending the arm will take some better pics with a real camera when I give her(KT) its 1st outing, will be riding down here in the south of England most of the time gonna give the exmoor 3 day trial a miss this year but might try some Miller rounds for the 1st time hope to do the 2 day Scarboro trial begining of July a favorite of mine and the Sun inn 3 day trial if its still running

Congrats,

Nice work!!

Like the muffler and its position. Rockshocks rear? I have tried to order a pair for some months now, with no luck..

Candy apple green on the tank, is it :wall:

cheers,

took it out today for its 1st outing to Betchworth quarry in Surrey, a wet practise day but the bike gripped really well, I am really pleased the way its turned out and its rides and sounds excellent, I built the bike because I have own 3 Honda tlr's over the years and now riding a Fantic 200 but fancied going back to 4 stroke but not Honda so I came up with this idea, its a standard Montesa 247 rolling chassis fitted with a 1978 Kawasaki Kl250 engine the geometry is standard, I can see no reason why I could not ride it in any twinshock round its not a tricked up bike just a Montesa with a different engine from 1978