Bultaco Sherpa 340

duckwizard

Monty!!!!!

Sorry if our ramblings have rattled you.....but duckwizards original questions had already been answered.

Thought the whole idea of this forum was to generate discussion, if you prefer it maybe we should keep the answers short and to the point...lets say restirict replies to no more than 2 maximum!

Chill out mate...its only a bit of fun!

Martin

duckwazard

I,ve got one.

Its not for sale.

And its priceless. :(

There thats on topic.

Got to remember guys that some posters on this site have shall i say a "commercial interest" :) . Saying that perhaps they would like to "come out" and help Andy with some sponsorship and an advert?

how about it "Honda RS"

All opinions are relevant though it keeps the site alive.

Have I missed some thing here O T Fan? What are you saying Honda ris is a dealer? Which one? :o

Looks like you are wasting your time duckwizard.

yet another post hijacked.

If you guys want to talk about Tony Rews farm or the competitiveness (or not) of 340's, or thier gearbox fragility, click on "new post" and do it there. It has no relevance to whether or not anyone has a 340 for sale, what to look for, or any of the questions originally posted.

And I thought Forums were about CONVERSATION !!!!!!!

I dont want to cause any ill feelings, but I must agree with Nigel in terms of Bultaco reliability and ease of restoration- I have rebuilt one 199a and am in the process of doing another right now and have had no problems at all with parts, gearbox problems-never heard of that one! I started competing in 1971 and have had 13 Sherpas, 3 Montys, 4 Italjets, 3 mono yams, 2 Gassers, 4 Betas and currently 04 290 Sherco, of all the twin shocks I have owned the Bultacos were the most reliable - Cheers

If you want the ultimate testament to the ruggedness of a 340, Dave Hooke used to ride the bike he owned from new in the old Falcon series for a good few seasons during the 90s. Anyone that knows him will recall what a handy rider he was on that bike, winning many rounds. More appropriate to one of the issues raised on here however, reliability, they will also know what a merciless chap he was with a bike. If it was an animal he would be on the most wanted list of the RSPCA.

That Bulto took some serious abuse over the years and only needed one rebore in all that time. Nothing else broke on it as far as I recall and I have seen it held on full throttle for periods that really should have melted every revolving part inside the motor before welding it together. But the bike just took it and moved on to the next event.

Price of a 340 now depends upon who is selling and what people are prepared to pay I would say, depending on how/where it is advertised, as well as the region. Vague? Yes, but a nice example on e-bay a few months ago which you would expect to have made

What a lovely and accurate reply, I had forgotten about Dave Hook, he actually loves that bike it got him WTC points if I remember correctly.

Advantage of the 340 over the 325 is the 6 speed box which gave a lower 3rd gear and occasionally usable fourth. It actually produces slightly less power than a 325 but more torque probably. Think Vesty had the 325 barrel on his for a fair while.

Will try and drag mine out for photos this week.

Dabster, I'd agree with your thoughts on the power/torque of the 325 against 340. I've owned and ridden later 325s and the power delivery was always quick, or snappy perhaps. I've only ridden one 340 ever, finally got the chance a couple of years ago after a classic trial I had ridden on my MAR. Was well impressed. Immediate impression was how torquey the motor was (would be after the MAR though) not snappy or sudden, just a smooth and predictable delivery of torquey power. The suspension worked really well on the front although the rears - falcons - were a little soft but not too far away (see, they're not always perfect :P ) I also felt that the steering had been 'tucked in' and was a little quicker compared to what I would call the norm for Bults. This all led to one very nice bike which had loads of usable power, steered and gripped well and was stable over the rocky sections I tried. Only drawback over the Ossa was one section with a series of tight turns which the Ossa did with room to spare. The 340, even though it felt as though the steering had been tightened, still had to have the front wheel floated off the odd handy rock or root to make the turn. Didn't have the lock/steering angle to just steer round. But then the Ossa will turn up its own *rse so not really a criticism.

When I gave the bike back I asked him if he wanted to sell but no way - he then told me it was one of Thorpe's old bikes so that may account for it being so good. As it is the only one I've ridden I wouldn't know if it was any different from a standard one. He wasn't selling anyway but one day perhaps.....

I've since managed to acquire one but it needs some work. It has had the frame mod to move the dampers forward at the rear although the engine hasn't been repositioned, or the swingarm mount. Seems to work quite well suspension wise but the exhaust is a disaster and needs sorting as the engine (noisy is being kind - it's what Hookey's should have sounded like....) is being strangled. The alloy fabricated airbox is a beaut however. Welding on the repositioned frame tubes is messy but can be tidied, I hope. There is a good bike in there somewhere - it's just finding it..... :wall:

So Dabster, I'm going to try and get around to rebuilding it in a few months. If I e-mail you can you send me your list of magic Sherpa tricks so I can plan ahead on the what's hot mods list.

Big John you're a scoundrel..... I saw that 250 6-speed too and thought the same as you - bet that is a 340. Didn't want to investigate any further though as if it was I know I'd have done the same as you and I just wouldn't have the room to keep it or the time to ride it. I've already overdone it. But then again, a gentleman and all that. Good spot anyway.

Hi , I agree , I personally find the 325 to be a more responsive motor than the 340, on another topic -a test I have on the 340 says that they made the head angle steeper and the bike shorter , however measuring a friends 340 it is the same dimensions as the 199A. Does anyone know the facts? [ his bike however would appear to be one of the last made as it has an older front end in it - tapered fork tubes and no clamping bolts in the top triple clamp ]

They certainley felt sharper but wouldn't want to say 100%. More relevant is the top tubes which had a tendency to bend and therefore elongate the geometry. A freind of a friend loosened everything off and drove it into a wall, which straightened it, but don't know if its true?

Anyhow a simple straight edge will show if its elongated wheelbase and I think I've seen a few the other way too, depends how they were ridden big drop offs down south in the tadley traders did one of mine in the 70's. :wall: