Events like the scott...

nath15804

the Ilkley grand national is not only similar it runs over much of the route used by the pre war Scott. the lap of the moors has lately been reduced to about 8 niles but after 3 laps and a couple of hours you wont fancy anymore. it was famous for the bogs but again over the years they have been avoided but its still a cracking do..

Having ridden The SSDT, The Scott and the Ilkley Grand National several times over the last 4 decades, (yeah I know an old git like me should know better)I can wholeheartedly recommend all three as fantastic experiences. IGN is run in March & you can do the clubman course which is same sections but only two laps. (I'll be riding so you won't come last). Try it before you get any older. Your life will be richer for the experience and you'll know if the other two are within your grasp.

You should be aware that the IGN & SCOTT are TIME and observation so the empasis is on SPEED between sections and in a lot of cases just blast through the sections with only a cursory look or not before hand!(so to save even more precious time)

Where as the Scottish & Jefferies are not marked on time so is more sedate run round the sections. You are still on a time limit for the day - but it's adequate to allow you to stop and walk / inspect / watch each section.

At the Scottish you are able to stop your time clock if there is delay at 'busy' or difficult sections where you would loose odles of time waiting your turn in the queue.

My tip - make sure you are fit as possible before tackling any time and observation events or the Scottish ! That way you will get max enjoyment from it !

Veteran of the infamous SSDT of 1992 - THE 'KIN WET ONE!

Edited by Scoobydo

the Ilkley grand national is not only similar it runs over much of the route used by the pre war Scott. the lap of the moors has lately been reduced to about 8 niles but after 3 laps and a couple of hours you wont fancy anymore. it was famous for the bogs but again over the years they have been avoided but its still a cracking do..