Trials...how can we not become the T-Rex of motosports

ridgrunr

I have been involved in Trials at all levels in the past 34 years. I rode one Gate Trial about 5 years ago and thought it was the worst Trials I have ever ridden. It seemed pointless. Practicing with friends with everyone taking a different route/line would sum it up.

Well, you probably suck, and got your ass kicked. Did not enjoy it!

Yea, been there,done that. I have said this many times, but I am like a Dog, like to leave my mark in every section. On a Carl Peters style gate trial, one dab and you loose everything, no matter how many gates you have cleaned.

Although one may still pick and choose gates to accumulate or save points, it is not novice friendly, and best left to those of a more advanced level.

The modified Avahla rules allow much more of a give and take, and not such devastating results if one attempts something and fails. Good fun. Still lots of strategy involved in the sections. Much more it seems than the standard (ride the line) trials set, which allows no varience, and if one did want totry a more difficult line, he would be penalized with a 5 , even if he cleaned the section, which is kinda dumb as well in many cases. There is no reward in a standard trials for actually riding "up" a line, and trying different stuff. Only a penalty.

This is why changing up the routine of the standard rules in a standard trials can seem to break up the monotiny in my mind.

The euro's are calling things "OpenFree" and have considered it in the WTC events. I still think all this can be very challenging, yet fun still depending upon the levels the gates are set, yet for now, still just a fun change up that may include all if done properly.

All good fun, pick your poision. Trials is NOT an easy game! It IS a skill game! Or just a recreational outing for many. I do think you have tokeep things on a fun level to attract any new riders, as there are many that are simply just Too hard core, and many of these riders have fallen back into lesser classes with age, making the classes more difficult to achieve a decent result for lesser riders next to impossible to achieve a competitive stance. Look at Ray Peters in the US Expert class. He just kills the others. They will jump to Pro class before they can beat him. Same thing happens in a club trials. :rolleyes:

We had a Trial this past weekend here in S. Cal. and out of 53 entries, there was only 1 Novice. No growth going on here.

If you really think about it all of the discussions on this thread as well as the one on "Club Membership" comes down to one thing, the lack of entry level riders. The big difference between the US & UK trials is the lack of entry level events ie "Wobler" as they call them in the UK. We are lucky to have one active club in a State, it would be like having one trials club in the UK, one in France, one in Spain etc. each club only doing one Trials a month. This alone is a problem for the US in that it limits our exposure. As I posted on the club membership thread I went to an event back east and they had no Novice entries.

I wish I had the answer, but with the great distances we have to deal with I'm not sure there is an solution. :(

John,

I think the comment on distance is a big factor. I would ride AHRMA and ITSA events but there is only one of each within a 5 hour drive of me (each year). To ride either series requires a big commitment and considerable expense.

Nothing against Gated Trials but I really think they are just what we call a "Play Day".

Peer scoring makes a Trial so much more fun as you have a group to ride with for the entire day. The new rider gets cheers and help/suggestions from the rest of the group. Also cuts down on planning and headache for whoever organizes the event.

No simple answer, do think this forum helps.

John,

I think the comment on distance is a big factor. I would ride AHRMA and ITSA events but there is only one of each within a 5 hour drive of me (each year). To ride either series requires a big commitment and considerable expense.

Nothing against Gated Trials but I really think they are just what we call a "Play Day".

Peer scoring makes a Trial so much more fun as you have a group to ride with for the entire day. The new rider gets cheers and help/suggestions from the rest of the group. Also cuts down on planning and headache for whoever organizes the event.

No simple answer, do think this forum helps.

On a serious note from our perspective over here you do seem to have an insurmountable problem in the US. The country is tooooooooo big. Let me give an example. Locally i never need to travel more than 30 miles and most times less to go to a trial every weekend. I only ride Classic and Twinshock clubs events and ride twice every month, could ride three times but whatever, never having to travel more than an hour to an event.

Personally speaking and this is also bourne out by entries from my own club when we occaisionally organise an event a bit further away, approx 40 mile trip 1.5 hrs, only a few bother to turn up. I couldnt envisage traveling the distances you guys have to.

I cant see you ever winning the battle with that millstone round your neck gate trials or no gate trials. Shame but thats probably why trials never really made it BIG across the other side of the pond.

Edited by Old trials fanatic

Wow nice to see interest in trials again at last 2 topics have taken off.

I think the biggest thing to grow trials is for an experienced rider to practice with a beginner. Laying out sections for them and helping them. This may lead to an riding events and may not.

It seems like when it rains it pours its been dead all year last weekend play session included the following who are new to trials this year

55yr old who moved here from England 3 yrs ago on vintage

10yr old beginner(reminds me of homer when 10) on gg70 his dad 2010 Econo his mom following on Enduro bike

2 vintage riders one who wants a modern bike when time allows

2 MX riding neighbors 55-23yr old riding bike borrowed from me 23yr old kicked my butt on big stuff never ridden trials before happens all the time i suck at riding but have a lot of fun

1 45 yr old on a 09 Econo hadn't ridden since 1976 when 13

That's 9 newbies also 5 experienced riders counting me and homer. What seems to work is Homer can show them what can be done on a bike and i can show them even if you have ridden 6 yrs and barely moved out of novice you can still have a blast

It takes a lot of work trimming sections phone calls post on Enduro forums sometimes i think man it ain't worth it. Then i remember all those who helped me out guys working on my bikes because a i also suck as a mechanic. A guy driving 250 miles to help me set up a small trial volunteering without me asking and lining me out on how to set it up. an importer who comes down to ride and teach the fellow next door at the youth nationals we showed up at and had never even ridden an event. I could name stuff all day and have left hundreds out, There is nothing in Motorsports or any other sport or Hobby that compares to the Trials Community. If it grows that's great if it dies out there be at least one old man putting around the woods in Missouri. I Don't think we need to change much to grow it just do more of what we are already doing