British World Round

as iow

Whilst having the greatest respect for all the riders who will be competing in the British world round on july 31, i hope they are the one's that will be getting all the profits from the event. After visiting the web site i can't help thinking that some one is out to make money on the back of the trial, i just hope that the riders ride on a percentage basis. After all they are the one's that risk life and limb weekin weekout in persuit of there dream's. If this event will be live on BBC tv like the sport of Darts !, i would pay twice the ticket price asked. If the organisers of this event and the A.C.U. could get the TV Directors interested in this event, trials mite start to get the credit it deserves in this country. Will this event be a chance to get trials in to the public eye, or money into someones back pocket. I started riding trials in 1969 and still love the sport, i just hate riders being used for someone elses profit. ( forgive me ) :ph34r:

After visiting the web site i can't help thinking that some one is out to make money on the back of the trial

I started riding trials in 1969 and still love the sport, i just hate riders being used for someone elses profit.    ( forgive me ) :P

I'm sure the promoters will be hoping to make a big, fat, juicy profit and why shouldn't they? They are investing their time, money, resources, contacts & experience in organising it all ;)

As business men they will have certain priorities in mind (not in any particular order): -

a ) Make sure the event gets loads of publicity, paying spectators, sponsors, advertisers etc.

b ) Ensure that the event itself is a success for all involved

c ) Cover all their costs incurred

d ) Make a profit and get the chance to do it all again another time

"PROFIT IS NOT A DIRTY WORD" :ph34r:

Would you do all the work for nothing? Maybe you would and maybe you would aim to just cover your costs whilst promoting the sport that you love.

To be honest, I had a quick look around the website tonight and was pretty impressed with the amount of information and detail on there considering the trial is still 6 months away.

So, wake up to the real world and accept that hard work, commitment and a willingness to invest cold hard cash should be repaid somehow.

Oh, and I forgive you :D

Edited by Kinell

AS, it comes down to the clubs can no longer run this type of event, the cost of doing it properly is out of the reach of most clubs, not only money but also the time organizing, it's no longer a matter of sticking in flags and observing the riders on the day.

At world championship level if we want the sport to move on and expect a professional event, it has to be done by professionals.

If LM promotions can make it work, we may see riders getting prize money in the future, I would think at this time the financial risk is high and the first event will be lucky not to be in the hole, often missleading is reading a press report on how many attended and numbers like 10.000 spectators all paid twenty quid to get in, when in truth the spectator turnout was closer to 3000 and 500 of those didn't pay to get in.

Also the 40,000 quid plus it took to put the event on never seems to be taken in to account.

I tried the same in 01 and for me it was my full time job for over a year, I learned a lot but for the amount of effort for the return I have no desire to do it again.

LM promotions have a lot more experience both indoor and outdoor than I have and will probably give the spectator a lot better show.

I hope it's a great success and they build on it to the point they can make a bit of profit

I know at the end of the day what little they will earn they will of bloody earned it.

Edited by ishy

I was lucky to have attended the last WTC at Hawkstone in 2000, three Brits in the top four on day one and three in the top 15 on day two (Jarvis finished injured on the Saturday and didn't compete) There's a definite advantage to be had for our 'lads' in playing at home.

So I hope that the British World Round is a massive success and that the Promoters do make a handsome profit.

Why ?

We need a WTC round (or two) on the mainland every year and I think that L+M have the experience and expertise to run a top class event, get the sections right, get the promotion right and potentially generate some interest from a wider spectator catchment and who knows one day maybe even catch the attention of those TV Execs.

To say the promoters should not profit is like saying Bernie Ecclestone shouldn't profit from F1 or Frank Warren shouldn't profit from boxing. Ridiculous. :ph34r:

I personally hope Jake & Martin make enough out of this to justify doing it again. And again. And again. Both are perfectionists and very good at what they do, but over and above that they are passionate about the sport and that shows. You may have noticed that Trials Central is listed on the site as an event partner. We're proud to be there and will be doing whatever we can to promote the event and encourage as large a turnout as possible.

well said andy, having spoke to jake and martin in the past i can not think of two better people in the sport to organise a world round and hopefully more to come, myself,family and friends will all be there supportting the event and so should all the guys reading this reply! :ph34r:

Edited by mozchops

I can't believe someone expect people to organise a WTC round, with all the hassle and costs that entails, for nothing.

'Wake up and smell the coffee!'

Good luck to Martin & Jake, its nice to see a British round back on the mainland, although I've been to Bangor the last two times and it was brilliant. The vast majority of trials riders appreciate what your doing and this will surely be demonstrated by the attendance.

CK

TC tent sounds like it would be a good idea, HL in charge of the wine bar, K giving directions to sections etc, Perce could give financial advice, and Dabster could be the customer relations advisor.

Wrong forum, but made me laugh anyway :ph34r:

That is an all-time class photo. The very first photo I took of anything to do with Bradford & District. I hadn't even met any of them at that point. I'm extremely pleased it's all been downhill since then :ph34r: