End of Montesa - now it's Honda?

astonrapide

Montesa or Honda  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Would it be bad/damaging to rebrand Montesa as Honda

http://www.superbikenews.co.uk/insidebikes/honda-switches-montesa-franchise/

So If they're not building the bikes in Spain anymore, then why bother with the Montesa name? I personally think the bike reputation would not suffer from a name change to HONDA, with the added kudos of HRC, the most respected successful bike manufacture in the world. Infact, sales could improve, I really don't see the point in selling a Honda RTL in Japan and a Montesa elsewhere. Just use Honda, new name, new better bike and the world champion riding it. It's not like Honda are new to this sport, with no history or success.

Toni has just signed a 2 year contract, could it be the final 2 years of Montesa's history? Or will Sheffield see Toni Bou riding a new prototype, with Honda Repsol HRC, plastered all over it? Or Fuji riding it in the outdoor WTC and Toni continuing on the Montesa?

In these difficult times, Honda are finding ways to cut back, but with Repsol money, they're getting top value world champion winning status, for relatively small outlay. I have no doubt, there's a new bike waiting in the wings and we'll get to see it soon, sooner would be great, would sure add a bit of spice and take the limelight away from OSSA.

Edited by Astonrapide

So If they're not building the bikes in Spain anymore, then why bother with the Montesa name? I personally think the bike reputation would not suffer from a name change to HONDA, with the added kudos of HRC, the most respected successful bike manufacture in the world. In fact, sales could improve, I really don't see the point in selling a Honda RTL in Japan and a Montesa elsewhere. Just use Honda, new name, new better bike and the world champion riding it. It's not like Honda are new to this sport, with no history or success.

Toni has just signed a 2 year contract, could it be the final 2 years of Montesa's history? Or will Sheffield see Toni Bou riding a new prototype, with Honda Repsol HRC, plastered all over it? Or Fuji riding it in the outdoor WTC and Toni continuing on the Montesa?

In these difficult times, Honda are finding ways to cut back, but with Repsol money, they're getting top value world champion winning status, for relatively small outlay. I have no doubt, there's a new bike waiting in the wings and we'll get to see it soon, sooner would be great, would sure add a bit of spice and take the limelight away from OSSA.

Be careful what you read. I have been to Atessa in Italy and the frames are NOT made there. neither are the 4rts. That is in spain, still...

Montesa is for me a household name in trials. I dont even like the Honda part of it....

The Montesa has the emotion, the Honda part the expertise...

Yeah if they do move out of spain, the why keep the name...no prognosos on that fom me...

Fact is, the "arrogance" which Honda have in motorcycling generally , wont wash with a trials public. If GG, Beta and now OSSA can still sell bikes, why are Honda missing? Price!

Thats whats deciding it. I personally think that the 4rt is a very good one. Probably more than enough for 95% of joe public. They last and hold value well. They are not sellin here cos the people want to save 2000€....so they buy a Gasetaossa

Edited by Lee Harris

Montesa is for me a household name in trials. I dont even like the Honda part of it....

The Montesa has the emotion, the Honda part the expertise...

Which is why they keep the name, weren't the 4rt's badged Hondas in Japan?? Japanese buy Honda, rest of the world buy Monts, simple, same product different name.

So If they're not building the bikes in Spain anymore,

Proof that you shouldn't believe what you read.

The article is total rubbish. Montesa and Honda have stated several times in official press releases that production will remain in Spain. End of story. Production of the 4RT has NOT moved to Italy.

Montesa PR

The rest of the article is based mostly on the OPINIONS and SPECULATIONS of Mr. Heath Brindley ???? who has no official connection to Montesa/Honda.

Astronrapide, your is not the typical 2nd post for a noob. Curious.

Edited by for artie

American Honda Dealers don't want to mess with trials, market is too small, Keep the Montesa name, make a new 250CC 2T , set up the US improrter up like it was. There are very few Trials Bike shops in the US. Most dealers operate out of a Box van or cargo trailer and are at all the major events. It's been working like that for the past 30 years or so. not much will change as far as how we buy new bikes or get our parts unless Trials has a major surge in popularity. Stop trying to re-invent the wheel and go with is working.

BTW aston, this is your Second post,....suspicious???

BTW aston, this is your Second post,....suspicious???

Why?

I haven't felt the need to register before. I've been reading this forum from the day it started and have enjoyed reading the many topics and info. I have owned a Yamaha, Fantic, scorpa, and 4 Montesa 315's. I currently don't own a trials bike, but still enjoy watching it, travel to the occasional WTC round and do the occasional club trial as an observer. I don't have an agenda, just an interest in Montesa and Honda. My next bike will be a fourstroke. I have no connection with any manufacture, business or individual.

Just feel that Honda are missing the point, they have their own trials history, why not capitalise on it's history and quality. 4rt's are very expensive, but compared to most the other makes, are vastly superior in build quality and reliability and there used values are way above anything else. Why is this, because there are enough people who want one, not new because of the price, but a good used one. If all the other manufactures raised there quality, their prices would be much higher, as they say, you get what you pay for.

Was when?

uhm... when we had a Montesa importer here in the US!

I wouldn't be opposed to having Honda trials bikes at the local Honda shop, that would be cool, the last Japanese to do it in the US was Yamaha in the '80's the last honda trials bike in a US Honda shop was in the '70's, the RTL was not sold in Honda shops nor could they get you parts, I wouldn't count the recon since it was not a real trials bike IMO.

takeing on another line is expensive, I doubt Honda would let trials in with the dirtbike group, if they would it might fly, when you take on a new line (such as water craft, side by sides, or boat motors) you are forced to buy a certain amount of spares and tools that you don't get a choice on, (this is usually from $5000 to $6500), you get whatever they want to force on you or old stuff they want to pawn off on you. I am not seeing much of a profit margin unless a dealer can sell at least 10 bikes per year. I think it would help Honda if they would offer different size trials bikes instead of the one bike.

Astonp you probably should have clarified you were a 10 year lurker before making you second post such a controversial one.

uhm... when we had a Montesa importer here in the US!

I think it would help Honda if they would offer different size trials bikes instead of the one bike.

Astonp you probably should have clarified you were a 10 year lurker before making you second post such a controversial one.

good point.

I am sorry if I have started off on the wrong foot.

31 votes and 80% have voted either positively or aren't bothered, so it's not that controversial a subject.

Montesa/Honda would definitely sell more bikes if they made a few different classes of bike, instead of just the 250.

I am sorry if I have started off on the wrong foot.

31 votes and 80% have voted either positively or aren't bothered, so it's not that controversial a subject.

Montesa/Honda would definitely sell more bikes if they made a few different classes of bike, instead of just the 250.

They would certainly sell more in the U.S., if they imported them. I think a lot of people who aren't hard core Trials people would feel better about buying a Honda.

The title of you post is false.

The article you quote is false and full of speculations.

The first line you write is false. The rest is speculation.

Montesa is in Spain and not Italy.

Your replies do not address these falsehoods. That is why it is seen as controversial.

Edited by for artie

The title of you post is false.

The article you quote is false and full of speculations.

The first line you write is false. The rest is speculation.

Montesa is in Spain and not Italy.

Your replies do not address these falsehoods. That is why it is seen as controversial.

My post was meant to be speculative, based on what I had read, the fact that the article has been possibly found to be false, is neither here or there.

(Could someone who has the facts of whether Montesa still produce the 4rt in spain, please confirm this). I apologise for basing my points on an incorrect article if this is the case, but my question, was, is, the same.

My point either way is, would Honda be better off selling Honda RTLs rather than Montesa 4rt's and it would

appear most who have posted either agree or aren't bothered. I am not try to stir the S**t, and I don't need educating concerning trials as a sport or the people who sell the bikes. If the bikes were sold as Hondas, they'd still be sold in trials dealers, because most road bike dealers would'nt be interested in selling them anyway.

The point I'm trying to make is, would it be good, or bad and those who have replied think it would, or aren't bothered. I personally think it would be good for the sport and us, the buyer and fan. There isn't a lot of money in this sport, but maybe if Honda got more involved and sold more bikes, it could benefit the sport. Either way, can we not just have a grown up conversation about it, instead of a few taking it to personally, it's only OHO's, if you don't like it, don't read it. I'm not try to force my opinion onto anyone, I'm just interested in what's others think.

If I have offended anyone, I'm sorry.

Edited by Astonrapide