Some people just shouldn't be allowed to drive...

Andy

I'm sorry to have to say this but 2WD and 4WD doesn't matter that much its more down to the tyres and the driver.

You make a good point about driver skills and tyres but 4WD does make a difference. A big difference actually. That combined with intelligent traction control that is. My co-directors BMW had exactly the same tyres as my Audi and he couldn't even get his car out the drive let alone get to work in it. The Audi went everywhere I needed to go with no problems.

Just get an Audi Quattro and drive one for a while in these conditions and then tell me it doesn't make a difference.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My little 1985 Toyota MR2 is a BLAST in the snow. Admittedly there is like zero ground clearance so more that a few inches and she's trying pretty hard to push through. I put non-studded snow tires on it, and 50 pounds of kitty litter in the front so I can turn easier. With the car being Mid-engine there is plenty of weight on the rear tires for traction. I also find manual transmission easier to gain traction in the snow. (that whole clutch thingy us trials riders do)

Donald, I put my ones on about mid October and take them off around April. I've told anyone who will listen that they really should try it. As you'll know, unless you've tried them yourself you just wouldn't believe the difference and unless you really, really push it in warmer weather you wouldn't notice a big different using them all year round. They just wear out about 10% faster. My wife didn't get round to changing her ones back this year and is still using them fine in this year snow and ice. She done about 16K on them since the last snow of early 2010.

Go down the scrap yard and buy some old steel rims with the right lug patern, mount your snow tires on those and only use them when needed, they last a lot longer, on the front wheel drive I only use a set on the front.