B Class Riders

Guest Ady Witting

Guest Ady Witting

What do u think about the B class riders having to be on a 125 bike because i've just had to change to a 125 because of me being a B class rider

They are allowed on a biger bike untill 1/1/2006 then they have to be on a 125 machine untill there 17th birthday

Sherco Mad

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the new rules are ok, apart from the A class, I still can't see why the youth A riders can't ride 250cc bikes. I know it's to fall in line with the F I M but the top lads will one day be going from 125 to 270 at the sharp end of trials. :wall:

I think the principal is a good one its just very difficult for us parents on a limited budget to get hold of GOOD 2nd hard 125's. They're like gold dust at the moment and a new machine is beyond my means.

Why choose 125's? At least if they'd gone to 175's we'd have a fighting chance.

I think you will find that it is a European Parliment ruling. Nothing to do with the FIM or ACU.

It has been phased in over the last few years. If the EU had there way it would have been brought in a couple of years ago, with no phasing in period. i.e. All A & B classes 250cc Dec 31st, 125cc Jan1st.

Trouble is there are some dealers who are selling machines above 125cc to B class riders knowingly that the purchaser cannot ride them in competition.

If I was spending that sort of money on my son I would be looking for advice from a governing body or a local club.

:wall: im 14 and i have to ride a 125. i think its a fine idea for b class rider to be on a 125 as it will start making us ride with more technique an rely less on the power of the bike pulling us up howere i know a A class riders who are 6 foot plus and quite honeslty i cant sea a 125 pulling a 11 12 stone 6 footer up a 6 foot rock step

I had a 125 sherco for almost two years, It was fine for about a year but by the time i was 14 and a half it just didn't have enough pull on the hill climbs and i was allways stuck in first or struggling for power.

I read closely into my ACU handbook and found that if you are 16 you can ride unrestricted in the clubman classes, so i was able to get a 200 without breaking any rules. I think that this is still abit too old thiugh.

However round here they aren't bothered if you turn up to a trial on a 250 with the stickers taken off, as far as the club is concerned they said it was my problem. Not all clubs would be the same though.

There's a lot of Adults who would probably admit to being over biked (i.e get better results on a smaller capacity machine) - me included. The bigger motor isn't a substitute for basic skills, developing advanced skills, in fact it makes you lazy, point it and squirt and it will get up just about anything - is that developing skill and bike craft ? I don't think so !

The TY175 was THE B class bike of the late 70s/early 80s, and comparing it with the 250s of the time you understand why (less power, lighter and smaller for a start). It gave a steady progression through from C to A class, where kids could develop their skills to a point where they were 'as good as the bike', if they were at the top of the B's.

Many a Club trial could be won outright by a Schoolboy on a 175, when there were plenty of Adults on 250s and 350s in the field.

Todays 125s are far superior to the TY175 and all of the 250s of that era - even taking section severity/ the evolution of the sport into account. A visit to an UEM Youth 125 Round will put you straight on this. The sections don't feature the BIG steps, that may feature on the Youth/Expert route at a British Championship round, but still demand a huge amount of skill from the riders.

Riders like Gubain, Wigg, Gomez, Grattarola, etc who can REALLY ride a 125, will no doubt go on to better things, while the kid who got dumped on the 250 on his 13th birthday is still struggling.

To quote Lance Armstrong yet again "It's not about the bike"