Twinshock or modern for an old beginner ?

hustler

So here I am around retirement age and last weekend I watched my first ever trial.

And not before time you may add.

Dashed enjoyable it was as well and now I rather fancy giving it a go.

I'm unsure whether to plump for an old twinshock bike or go for something more modern.

Pre 65 is not a consideration simply on cost.

I do prefer the look of twinshock bikes and it seems, in my limited experience perusing these forums, that

there may be more trials for these bikes for beginners.

I assume that twinshocks will be heavier than modern and spares will be more difficult although possibly bikes like Bultaco and Montesa may be a bit easier than others. No scientific analysis here simply a gut feeling on information I've come across.

But of course twinshocks come with a seat and I

My advice would be to look for a really tidy modern bike, probably 2003 to 2006. There will be good examples of every marque within your price range. Gas Gas, 315 Montesa, Beta, Sherco, Beta, Scorpa have a look at them all and see what you fancy.

I will resist mentioning any particular bike, but suffice to say that you should not discount 200's as well as 250's.

Twin shock bikes are fine and in the hands of a good rider are capable of winning club trials outright, but to get a really tidy one, you're not too far off buying a decent modern machine which will be lighter, have better brakes and probably give you more confidence as a beginer.

Others will disagree, but go to a local event and see what you fancy. Many riders will let you have a little try after the trial if you get chatting about what to buy. Then you can make a more informed choice.

Hi

Being in norfolk you are lucky to have a very fine twin shock club localally in the Dabbers trials club who run events for older bikes. As for a bike if TS is your bag then the choices are good with Yamaha ty 175's being the most popular with a raft of spanish stuff from monts to bults with ossas and swm's in the mix too, also the italian fantics with the 240's being considered as good as a ts gets. British bikes are rare but armstrong/ccm's do crop up.

what do you want to do with your time...

if you want to spend two or three evenings a week in the garage tinkering and the rest of the week on the phone hunting for bits and riding the easy route on a sunday or do you want to ride, wash the thing put it away with a liberal coat of wd40 and pull it out next sunday morning to ride the easy route.. the head says modern the heart says a proper bike. ( fantic 200)

if you have never done trials before you are better starting with a monoshock.a twin shock is a lot heavier and a lot harder to ride for a novice. get the best bike you can afford,it makes life a lot easier when starting out.hope this helps willie.

Dabbers are holding a trial on the 6th of feb near Thetford look it up on their wedsite and come along have a look at the bikes and see what its all about. I just returned into the sport after a long long lay off and this club is just the job. As already mentioned many riders will give advice and let you have a go after the event.

Thanks for the excellent replies people, most appreciated.

I was leaning towards twinshock but I'm now going a little towards modern.

I think.

I see Dabbers got a couple of mentions here and their next event on 6th. February is on my calendar

so I'll be there wandering about and asking questions.

Thanks again.

So here I am around retirement age and last weekend I watched my first ever trial.

And not before time you may add.

Dashed enjoyable it was as well and now I rather fancy giving it a go.

I'm unsure whether to plump for an old twinshock bike or go for something more modern.

Pre 65 is not a consideration simply on cost.

I do prefer the look of twinshock bikes and it seems, in my limited experience perusing these forums, that

there may be more trials for these bikes for beginners.

I assume that twinshocks will be heavier than modern and spares will be more difficult although possibly bikes like Bultaco and Montesa may be a bit easier than others. No scientific analysis here simply a gut feeling on information I've come across.

But of course twinshocks come with a seat and I

I would add that a decent twinshock in GOOD condition will require less looking after than a modern mono.The TY250 I'm using at the moment is one that I bought in 2006.Basically in good nick apart from the engine which I fully rebuilt.since then I've gone through two rear tyres,a pair of sprockets,two chains two plugs and a set of points.(The points were only because I thought I really ought to )

It gets a wash after most trials and the chain oiled.Carb and air filter cleaned out now and again,cables etc oiled.

And thats it - It rarely misses a beat,I happily do the Dartmoor Two day on it and only fill with fuel and oil the chain after the first day.

Compared to the hassle I had with the last mono,(Beta Rev 3) and the problems I see with other bikes at trials I think the old Yam is about as reliable as it gets.

The twinshock trials are marked out mostly for fun - not for hero's. Its altogether different than modern where I used to feel the need to practice or ride every week.

Plus your twinshock is unlikely to lose you any money should you decide its not for you.

Thanks for the excellent replies people, most appreciated.

I was leaning towards twinshock but I'm now going a little towards modern.

I think.

I see Dabbers got a couple of mentions here and their next event on 6th. February is on my calendar

so I'll be there wandering about and asking questions.

Thanks again.

See you there :thumbup:

Another one to bear in mind could be the Norwich Viking trial at Santon Downham on March 13th. It's part of the Beginners & Wobblers series so should give you a good idea of what you could expect. We usually have a range of P65s, twinshocks and moderns.

For what it's worth I think it may help to learn on a modern bike for the reasons already given. However, I think it's important to really enjoy actually riding the bike - if that means it needs to be a T/S or whatever then go for it.