After 3, they're free.

jse

Some of the clubmembers are having a discussion regarding interpretation of the written NATC rule for foot rotation.

The choices are:

(1) one point for the foot plant and another point for rotating the foot= 2 points for dab and rotation.

(2) One point for for dab and no added point for rotation= 1 point for dab and rotation.

We all agree that a dab and drag is 3 points.

Any opinions?

Jon

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of the clubmembers are having a discussion regarding interpretation of the written NATC rule for foot rotation.

The choices are:

(1) one point for the foot plant and another point for rotating the foot= 2 points for dab and rotation.

(2) One point for for dab and no added point for rotation= 1 point for dab and rotation.

We all agree that a dab and drag is 3 points.

Any opinions?

Jon

I have always been led to believe that option 1 is the case. That is how it was explained when we were being taught (by the official) to score the National round.

On the NATC web site under rules it says on line 1. that a dab is a point and directly under it on line 2. it says rotation in a point. So it makes it unclear. You can't have rotation with out having a foot down. Sounds like a two points the way it's written, if the intent is a one then wouldn't it need to be written more clearly ?

. Fault Definitions:

1. Footing - any contact providing support between any part of the rider

How many degrees of movement does it take to be considered rotation?

Does wiggling your toes while dabbing count as multiple dabs?

Toe wiggling counts as half points.......

I had always judged it as a one point loss and was surprized when the subject was brought up as I thought they had changed it somehow and I just didn't know about the change. Ron is going to contact the NATC guys to get final clarification. If they are now counting rotation as an additional point, this is a new intrepretation I had not heard about.

And, the degrees of rotation for the additional point will be an issue, unfortunately.

Jon

I like the rule of a rotation not counting as a point. If you think about it as long as you rotate without sliding to gain a advantage in the section it should not cost any points at all. At this years NATC round in Colorado that is how we judged that portion of the dab. I see it as it making it alot harder for the rider to use the dab effectively when they take one whether its by choice or not.

Man, I think that's opening a can of worms that should stay in the can. A slide is pretty easy to score, but rules that become too subjective cause nothing but problems. We've seen that with the backup rule. Did the rider back up? Did the bike backup? Did the rider's foot backup? Causes too much trouble. Same thing with the rotation of the foot. Did he rotate, or was the ankle just bent? De he not rotate enough to actually rotate? What's considered a rotation? How many degrees? We'd never adopt that. It's a dab till moved...one point.

Strewth you guys over there really like to overcomplicate things.

I'd never offer to observe.

Unless this is that ever elusive thing American humour?

How is it scored over there? Is it option 1, option 2 or something different?

Counting a pivoting dab as two points is a HORRIBLE idea.

1. You will be makings the checkers/observers job that much more difficult to judge and there will be many more arguments at the sections between riders and observers

2. This will completely take away the benefit of the "planned dab" in a corner; to take a point save energy and prepare for the next obstacle

Who thinks of these things? They should run for office. Life is too complicated already....we do not need any more help.

Toe wiggling counts as half points.......

I had always judged it as a one point loss and was surprized when the subject was brought up as I thought they had changed it somehow and I just didn't know about the change. Ron is going to contact the NATC guys to get final clarification. If they are now counting rotation as an additional point, this is a new intrepretation I had not heard about.

And, the degrees of rotation for the additional point will be an issue, unfortunately.

Jon

I'm with Jon on this! Not sure if this something new we need to ignore or not!

Been planned dabs and pivot turns in trials for decades best I can tell. :rolleyes: