Bully starting woes

tomtom385

As most bultaco owners will know on a day to day basis any kind of misfire or slight cough on these bikes is not down to carb spark plug sheared woodruffe keys or even condensor.

The first thing to look at is the face of the points which can easily become pitted. Why this happens I dunno but it does.

So much so that i always carried a points file which does the trick.

the others are all possible but always look here first.

Window in flywheel allows acess and its easy to do when you have it up in the air with a bit of light.

if you haven't done this before then its worth dropping the magneto flwheel thingy off and seeing what the faces are like anyway.

I used to swap once every ten trials or so.

I recently tried bumping my 325 in top gear, it wouldn't do anything apart from slide the back tyre along the tarmac! If you are going to try pushing, make sure you have plenty of speed and all your weight over the back wheel or you'll feel completely knackered and still have a bike that won't start...

Good luck

Cheers

Mick

try in 4th or fifth big jump to get wheel turning.

The first thing to look at is the face of the points which can easily become pitted. Why this happens I dunno but it does.

So much so that i always carried a points file which does the trick.

Spark erosion. Basically the faces of the points are trying to weld themselves together when they open. It's this collapsing magnetic field that is "boosted" in the coil.

Spark erosion is used in the mold and die industry to erode detail in the molds/dies that other machining cannot acheive.

Edited by TooFastTim

Spark erosion. Basically the faces of the points are trying to weld themselves together when they open. It's this collapsing magnetic field that is "boosted" in the coil.

Spark erosion is used in the mold and die industry to erode detail in the molds/dies that other machining cannot acheive.

Cor mate you know yer stuff,

Will check the points then, luckily i have a centre that i took off an old mag rotor, so setting and cleaning the points is a peace of p***. but to be realistic its only done about 4 hours running since i put a new set in.

Regards,

Tom,

I had the same problem with my 198a ,it turned out to be the choke jet was blocked,it has a mk2 amal carb once it was cleaned it starts second or third kick

Hope this helps

Hightown

i will give everything a go, could be right with the carb, it only gets started every now and then, could be a little gunged up.

Will check the points then, luckily i have a centre that i took off an old mag rotor, so setting and cleaning the points is a peace of p***. but to be realistic its only done about 4 hours running since i put a new set in.

Regards,

Tom,

I'm surprised no one makes these, or if they do I've never seen them.

I'm surprised no one makes these, or if they do I've never seen them.

deffo a market for them , well i reckon anyway. better than trying to look through that little window with my sausage fingers in the way. Wayne at billet parts would be able to knock one up.he got a few trick bits and upgrades for bultaco's

try in 4th or fifth big jump to get wheel turning.

In 5th, down hill, 14 1/2 st, a big bump on the back wheel as I drop the clutch and.....then listen to the back wheel slide on the tarmac! My bores are worn and it still has enough compression to ignore all the sweating and all the swearing. My starting problems are all resolved, assisted by a kick start shaft that is straight and a small fortune, bumping was not the answer at any point, believe me.

If it won't start by kicking, my advice is get someone younger and more obstinate on the job, or get a wheel spinner for your car (with a slip diff'), or fix the problem stopping it from starting....bumping is a sure way to looking like a silly old fart with a bike that doesn't start on the side of the road. Not a good look, even if the youth think I am old...little buggers

• 2 weeks later...

Many thanks to all for your suggestions and tips.

Stripped the carb blew it through and we had life.

my son and asked what the problem was.

i answered "oh just sh*t in the carb"

he said "errrh yuk how many times do you have to do that?????" boom boom

Old one, i know.

Points indeed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Regards,

tom,