Grip !

cabby

Was out for a wee play yesterday and had a shot of a few different bikes and noticed they all seemed to have more grip than mine on the same sections ?

Running 4 in the rear, tyre is still good but the difference in my grip compared to the other bikes was quite noticeable....2010 290, any thoughts, ideas on this folks ?

Was out for a wee play yesterday and had a shot of a few different bikes and noticed they all seemed to have more grip than mine on the same sections ?

Running 4 in the rear, tyre is still good but the difference in my grip compared to the other bikes was quite noticeable....2010 290, any thoughts, ideas on this folks ?

What bikes were they though ?

2009 Gasser 250, 2008 gasser 125, 2011 sherco 290.

Think the gasser were on Michy's and wahtever was stock on the Sherco, mine is an IRC.

Age of tyre (how sharp the edge is) makes a huge difference and of course the skill level of the rider! :thumbup:

It's a funny thing. It takes a while to get accustomed to a new bike when you get one but if you have a shot on someone else's it almost always seems immediately to be better than your own.

I tend to avoid riding other bikes - lead us not into temptation.

Any psychologists on the panel?

It's a funny thing. It takes a while to get accustomed to a new bike when you get one but if you have a shot on someone else's it almost always seems immediately to be better than your own.

I tend to avoid riding other bikes - lead us not into temptation.

Any psychologists on the panel?

tis a fair point, but I only thought the sherco 2011 was better than mine, tho did think the 250 gasser had more power than mine.

Grip is affected by a number of variables on a bike

these days you can get lots of aftermarket products like footrests and bar clamps which can be higher/lower/further back/further forward than std. Then the owner of any bike can adjust suspension, carb jetting, ignition timing, bar position, lever position etc.

all of these things can effect grip as they effect how you stand on the bike or how the power is delivered compared to you twisting the throttle.

Its very difficult to compare two bikes as no two bikes are the same.

if you find it hard to get grip with focus on standing further back and being smoother with the throttle. Fit a slow throttle if it doesnt have one already then come back and we can all chip in with other things to change if you wish.

When I rode a 2010 bike I found that my body weight had to be a tad further back (compared to on 07 frame) ... after that it gripped great :thumbup:

Change your style!!

Best of balance.

Neo

its a funny thing but the same happened to me a bit back and i couldnt work out what was going on, i eventually realised that it wasnt the chassis, but the way the power comes on. I am so used to riding beta's with huge flywheel weight compared to others that as i feed the power on the rear tried to spin faster than on my bike, giving the illusion of lack of grip (actually it was grip on the beta, what am i talking about)

When I rode a 2010 bike I found that my body weight had to be a tad further back (compared to on 07 frame) ... after that it gripped great :thumbup:

Aye but grip isn't exactly at a premium at your place. Try NZ. You can spin to a halt on a soccer field. I sh^t thee not.

The skill of the rider isn't relevant here though :rolleyes:

I think what dbf means is that the rider is the constant in this case. The bikes are the variables.

Edited by TooFastTim

Seems the other bikes were on a Mich! Not sure what type sections you're running, but I think in a rockey burn section the Mich r Dunlop may prevail for grip on the rocks, even if the mudboys like the IRC.