Trials Bikes Rear Number Plates.

charlie prescott

Loads of bikes would fail if the Police got out their tape measures, but the important thing is to be sensible.

If they can clearly see the numbers and the plate is yellow and upright (ish) then at least you've given yourself a fighting chance of getting away with it.

Here are the DVLA approved sizes, you can work out the size of plate you should have.

This refers to bikes registered after 2001, I think.

Character height 64 mm

Character width (except the figure 1 or letter I) 44 mm

Character stroke 10 mm

Space between characters 10 mm

Space between groups 30 mm

Top, bottom and side margins (minimum) 11 mm

Space between vertical lines 13 mm

Best way around it 'if' you're that way inclined...

Get an official, full size numberplate , attach it correctly to your bike, when you have the correct holes etc in yourmudguard remove it the numberplate and snap the numberplate at the top.

Then, whenever you are doing a road trial attach the bracket with the broken 'bit' of the numberplate on and if you do get pulled over at a trial you have a 'bit' of the regulation full size plate and bracket attached but had an unfortunate 'crash' in a section. You can show them the snapped bit in your pocket, bumbag, camelback etc etc.

This is then all OK and above board, nothing canbe done as you will get a new plate ASAP on Monday morning when the shops open. :thumbup:

Best way around it 'if' you're that way inclined...

Get an official, full size numberplate , attach it correctly to your bike, when you have the correct holes etc in yourmudguard remove it the numberplate and snap the numberplate at the top.

Then, whenever you are doing a road trial attach the bracket with the broken 'bit' of the numberplate on and if you do get pulled over at a trial you have a 'bit' of the regulation full size plate and bracket attached but had an unfortunate 'crash' in a section. You can show them the snapped bit in your pocket, bumbag, camelback etc etc.

This is then all OK and above board, nothing canbe done as you will get a new plate ASAP on Monday morning when the shops open. :thumbup:

A broken number plate can still get you a

Its a nightmare. I just took my old Lambretta for MOT and had to take the slightly smaller, 6 1/4 inch number plate off for an hour and put a full size one on. ;)

I would have thought that the Lambretta was old enough for the "old" size rules to apply, possibly even allowing a black plate with white letters.

I don't suppose anyone has a copy of 'The Road Vehicles (Display of Registration Marks) Regulations 2001' by any chance? I've always wondered if the plate has to be fixed to the bike or if it could be worn by the rider (on a backpack for instance)? Daft idea perhaps but it would allow a full size plate to be displayed whilst on the road and no extra burden in the sections?

GJ :wacko:

Hi Guy's

Done a bit more homework today.

No excuse broken ,plates are illegal and will still get you a fine for display.

Plates worn on the back of your jacket , is not part of the machine so when you walk away it is illegal.

The only thing I have found that is available, and used on HGV trucks, and trailers, is a Spring clip device that holds the plate while in transit. Now this could be used, all you would need to do is remove the plate to attempt the section and then clip it back on for the next group, Simples :thumbup:

I have still been told, that the fine is now