I got one I got one I got one :-)

robf

I have been thinking of getting one for ages now and after watching a few trials and deciding I am no where near fit enough and that it looks too hard I decided to get one anyway.

The bike has been sitting for at least 15 years but I chucked some new fuel line and a fuel filter on it, a new plug and some fresh fuel and started kicking and kicking and phew kicking and sweating and it started - ran for a few seconds and died. Got my breath back and got the same.

I am pretty chuffed so far and now need to strip and clean the carb for the next step - float bowl full of treacle but oddly doesnt smell as nasty as old fuel sludge normally smells

The plan is to get it sorted mechanically and leave the cosmetics for this year until I know its sorted and so I dont spoil it when I keep falling off. The BIG problem is the forks are shot - obviously not an easy or cheap fix :-(

Anyway here she is ...

rh.jpg

lh.jpg

pitted.jpg

I have been thinking of getting one for ages now and after watching a few trials and deciding I am no where near fit enough and that it looks too hard I decided to get one anyway.

The bike has been sitting for at least 15 years but I chucked some new fuel line and a fuel filter on it, a new plug and some fresh fuel and started kicking and kicking and phew kicking and sweating and it started - ran for a few seconds and died. Got my breath back and got the same.

I am pretty chuffed so far and now need to strip and clean the carb for the next step - float bowl full of treacle but oddly doesnt smell as nasty as old fuel sludge normally smells

The plan is to get it sorted mechanically and leave the cosmetics for this year until I know its sorted and so I dont spoil it when I keep falling off. The BIG problem is the forks are shot - obviously not an easy or cheap fix :-(

Anyway here she is ...

rh.jpg

lh.jpg

pitted.jpg

hi mate theres a place in luton that recrome forks they even pick them up and bring them back all nice and new cost me £167.00 not cheap i know so if your intrested go on line and put pitted forks in hope this helps Edited by bondy

Anyway here she is ...

pitted.jpg

congratulations,

a very nice bike, needs some work, but thats part of the game and is fun too.

I had the same problem like you when I found my Bultaco the upper stanchions where bend and the chrome was scratched. My forks after disassembling:

DSC07839.JPG

I looked for a second fork and found one in France which was complete and came together with the fork clamps, the price was OK.

LeBonCoin%20Gabel%20Bultaco.jpg

Well ... the stanchions had some rust marks and where worn out, (the lower fork legs that work as guide for the stanchions too. Here the second fork from France:

DSC07846.JPG

After a deep breathe I decided to attack my wallet and gave both stanchions away to a company here in Germany that do real hardchrome work for machinery parts. To rework stanchions is not their daily business but there fabrication tolerances are extremly high and they can also straighten them.

Here their website and normal products:

Wissing Hardchrome

The costs is around 110

Hi RobF,

Congratulations on getting the Bulto you wanted. In August last year I bought a Model 124 original, complete but a little untidy, it had also been dry stored for about 15yrs. After a good check over/service to ensure that it was safe to start/ride, check for a spark...YES, clean the carb and it was away 2nd kick and ran well.

Since then I have trialled it sorting out a few issues along the way, the chrome on the forks is good but were it not I would use http://www.dynasurf.co.uk/ they have done forks for me in the past and made a very nice job.

The chrome in the front hub was showing signs but the rear was rather poor so I had those repaired with cast iron liners, this gives a new braking surface.

My suggestion is get it going, ride it and square it up as you are able, then when it is sorted mechanically you might think about paintwork etc

good luck with the bike.

TRF

Hi guys

Thanks for the help and encouragement

The carb is stripped and is i am cleaning it up slowly and carefully and my first bag of bits from Bultaco UK arrived today

Just spent some time getting the crud out of the airbox

Hopefully I can get it back together at the end of the week and get it started and work out what job is next

The rkear tyre has a gash so it looks like i wont be able to wait to sort that out

Towbar is being fitted to my car on friday so I can get a rack fitted