Should i want a Scorpa?

hoggyf

Don't tell anyone but i've snealed over here from the GasGas forum,

started trialling last year with a 97 JTX250 which isn't a bad bike from my perspective but now fancy something a little newer and really like the look of the Scorpa's budget wise would be around

Hmmm looks like you lot really like them,

anything specific to be aware of, are they better after a certain year etc or is a particular engine size better than others (not even sure if there are different sizes - should really check).

cheers

all SY's are 250cc, the same engine was used for all variants of the SY (YAMAHA TYZ ENGINE) the engine is pretty bullet proof, just make sure that the airbox is kept clean, as the carb is a little difficult to remove, also if not already done grind of the corner of the engine number as it wears a hole in the centre silencer, all in all they are a good bike ideally suited to a clubman rider, I had one for 3 years and apart from usual wear parts, the only thing i had trouble with was a new rear brake master cylinder

started trialling last year with a 97 JTX250 which isn't a bad bike from my perspective but now fancy something a little newer and really like the look of the Scorpa's budget wise would be around

They all have their pluses and minuses. I had 4 GG's, a Beta and two Fantics before my '08 SY250R. They all had their good and bad traits. My Scorpa isn't perfect, but it does everything I ask of it, and there's something about that suspension. Mines got the aluminum Marriocchi (?) forks. No dog bone bearings in the rear end to have to replace constantly either.

Can't quite put my finger on it how it does it, but it's saved my bacon more than a couple of times. Once was last year on the Five Miles of Hell. Got off line and ended up having to jump a huge gap (or drop off a cliff!) So I gassed it and over it went. I never even saw that stinking foot high stump till it was going under the air born front tire. I knew I was going to biff it, but the rear end smacked that stump and soaked it up like it was barely there. If there had been a seat on the thing I'm sure I would have puckered it right off!

I love that Yamaha engine too. I dropped the countershaft sprocket one tooth which makes second and third gear more useable.

good luck with your decision.

• 2 weeks later...

Some really positive repsonses here,

I'm trying to keep costs down as I've started working for myself so if I change its probably gonna be something 2003 or less, are the 98 - 2001 models any worse than the newer ones or is it the old adage of buy on condition rather than age?

cheers

Some really positive repsonses here,

I'm trying to keep costs down as I've started working for myself so if I change its probably gonna be something 2003 or less, are the 98 - 2001 models any worse than the newer ones or is it the old adage of buy on condition rather than age?

cheers

The early models are Rotax powered. Totally different animal. Pick up any of the years with the Yamaha engine and you should do fine. I had an 01,02,03,04 and 05. As with every brand, slight changes each year, but none of them a bad bike, and the Yamaha engine is always rock solid dependable.