weird LOUD rattle/knocking - Vid

stushine

i recently bought a gas gas 2010, i noticed it had a rattle at idle, which i was told is pretty normal with gas gas, but this is really loud compared to my mates gas gas... you can also hear it loudly when riding as well, which is very annoying! surely this cant be normal?

vid of the noise, hard to realise how loud it actually is in a video...

Check the idle gear sprocket that does nothing but links the kickstart to the clutch basket.. I had one with the slightest mark on the tooth of this sprocket and it rattled like hell! No idea why!

I've had 2 Gassers and they have both had a similar noise. I don't know if they are as loud as yours cos it's hard to tell on video, but it's the sound of the clutch basket rattling - a standard Gas Gas issue.

As far as I know it's nothing to be worried about.

I've had 2 Gassers and they have both had a similar noise. I don't know if they are as loud as yours cos it's hard to tell on video, but it's the sound of the clutch basket rattling - a standard Gas Gas issue.

As far as I know it's nothing to be worried about.

its just how loud it is that seems odd, and the fact it make the same noise when riding etc... my mates is no where near as loud as this is...

Check the idle gear sprocket that does nothing but links the kickstart to the clutch basket.. I had one with the slightest mark on the tooth of this sprocket and it rattled like hell! No idea why!

Agreed, the quadrant gear and idle gear will have a chip out of one of them, which is what may be causing the noise. Easy enough to check and change if thats the case.

Agreed, the quadrant gear and idle gear will have a chip out of one of them, which is what may be causing the noise. Easy enough to check and change if thats the case.

right ive opened the engine up for a look, i think the previous owner knew ther was a problem because the allen bolt holding the clutch basket in was rounded off! ive got that out and found these 2 cogs damaged... are these the ones your all on about??

kick start teeth snapped

IMG_0291-vi.jpg

this is the cog that the kick start goes to... all the corers are slightly chipped..

IMG_0295-vi.jpg

are them the ones that will be causing my problems?

BINGO !

This was a fault with the older pros but a 2010?

That kick start set-up was not for the ham-fisted (legged?).

If I asked for a ride on someones Gasser , they would always make sure the engine was running before they handed it over to me.

But I thought GasGas had cured this Pro problem a long time ago? or so they said !

Find those chips though.

All cured but been rough with the kickstart can still make this happen! I'd be tempted to change the idle gear and just leave the kickstart as is! Need to find that metal before it jumps in the expensive side ;)

Its a pity they don't make the idler gear so it can be cleaned up, turned around and given a second life. I damaged one when I dropped the bike; the kickstart rotated and tried to engage when the motor was running!

Edited by Lowbrow

right, fixed this and........... still rattles like a bitch! also ive noticed after a hard rev and let off quick, thers a loudish clang noise.. any ideas? loosk like ive bought a ****ter!

Stu, I'll just throw in M2C here, as no Gasser expert. Basically I think the sounds in the video are pretty normal as far as I can tell. Idle seems a bit high at that setting. Obviously it has a chipped kicker gear that needed attention, and a good search for metal bits that may include a good flushing of things.

Having ridden some off new that sounded the same, not sure I would worry too much at this point.

A throttle chop knock or ping can also be normal, as the engine goes into a sudden lean condition. Upping the primary jet may help this, depending upon what you are running. This happens with other bikes as well. :rolleyes:

As already said a certain amount of that type of noise is normal with these.

The damaged gear happens if the kickstart is engaged accidentally when the engine is running.

Change the idler and check it hasn't transferred marks onto the corresponding gear on the back of the basket.

This happened to mine and did make the noise worse however this noise doesn't go away when you pull the clutch in.

Make sure you use the correct bolt in the clutch centre. (has a hole through it)