2009 Evo - Smoking like a bonfire and no power!....help!

ticket2ride

Chaps,

Looking for some advice.....having a nightmare!!

Bit of history....

Almost new 09 Evo 125.....about a year ago, after about 5 trials....started to have trouble with lower-end pull.....then the stator went!!!

Roll on a year (bike has been standing).....put the new stator in, cleaned carb, changed jets, cleaned filter, put all back to standard.....emptied old fuel, put new fuel in and new oil.....fired her up!!

Ran like a dream in the garden - result!

Out to an evening practise trial tonight....first 5 mins....ran great....then, seemed to loose power (like the rear brake was on!!).....and smoke like a bonfire......and would not tickover.....exhaust got so hot that trousers melted to it!!.....oily residue from header pipe gasket and silencer.....exhaust smoked for about 5 mins after it cut out!!

No idea what could be wrong with it?

Doesn't seem to be drawing gearbox in...as level is still okay.....mixture is correct, jets are as per standard etc etc.

Wondered whether the old oil/fuel mixture had separated and the oil had settled at the bottom of the tank?...but, the inline filter looks okay too.

Somebody mentioned that the silencer might be blocked?......can't see how though?

Any suggestions or ideas guys?

Gutted, it's taken me a year to get on it again, and it lasted 10 mins!!

Hi

With the backpressure of a blocked exhaust the unburnt oil in the silencer wadding can catch fire. This would tie in with the exhaust getting extreemly hot.

Another symptom of this occuring is a muted exhaust note and a difficulty to tickover... needing constant revving and a very strained feeling.

Suggest the the exhaust is dissasembled to identify which (if any) section is blocked.

Dom

thanks guys, I'll have a look at the exhaust...can't see how such a new bike could have a fouled exhaust though!!!

A friend of mine fitted the stator for me (motorcycle technician) - is there anyway this could have an effect on the timing etc?

Just thinking out load really...

May seem a silly question but, it's worth a try

What fuel to oil mixture do you run it at because it sounded rather flat tonight while i was there and if your mixture has too much oil it may be blocking up the exhaust causing the heat? ps it's a beautiful looking bike!

Gday, Ignition timing OK? Flywheel installed properly with a good key? Just thoughts...

Cheers,

Stork

+1 - check the woodrift key. (if it ran great at 1st, I doubt you have a mouse in your exhaust)

Hi

Has your coolant level dropped? is it finding its way into the cylinder?

Crankseals can go on two strokes if they are stood for awhile.

have a friend with an evo 250 (2010) his cdi packed up causing it to run very hot. (but no white smoke)

oil mix should be 70ml to 5ltr petrol

but after seeing it last night i don't think its 2 stoke as it's white smoke

Rich

White smoke is a classic sign of diesel in the tank (don't ask me how I know!).

"A friend of mine fitted the stator for me (motorcycle technician) - is there anyway this could have an effect on the timing etc?"

The timing is adjusted by rotating the stator plate. See Beta UK website for info on how to set it up.

Edited by 2/4

Basic thoughts here are that the woodruff has sheared due to improper torque on the retaining nut and the resultant slow ignition timing has caused the exhaust to overheat and light off all the accumulated gunk init! :rolleyes: